Soft Drinks Try To Convince You They Are Healthy

Soft drink sales are in trouble. The solution? Healthy-looking “sparkling beverages,” from Coke and Pepsi! From the New York Times:

While the soda business remains a $68 billion industry in the United States, consumers are increasingly reaching for bottled water, sparkling juices and green tea drinks. In 2005, the amount of soda sold in this country dropped for the first time in recent history. Even the diet soda business has slowed.

Coke’s chief executive told the NYT: “Diet and light brands are actually health and wellness brands.” Hmmm.

Soon Coke will be debuting Diet Coke Plus, and Pepsi will release a disgusting-sounding substance called “Tava”. Both will contain artificial sweeteners and will be fortified with vitamins. Too bad everyone knows Diet Coke isn’t “healthy.” Will adding vitamins convince you otherwise? —MEGHANN MARCO

Makers of Sodas Try a New Pitch: They’re Healthy [NYT]

Comments

1. magdelane says:

Or they could make dieters, and gluttons alike, happy… by using CANE SUGAR.

Sometimes the industry mentality astounds me.

::washes her hands of the matter::

2. The Bigger Unit says:

If you’re drinking Diet Coke as a source of vitamins…I’m doubting “dieting” is an important aspect of your life.

3. gorckat says:

I want real Cherry Coke with vitamins.

Who do I call?

4. Falconfire says:

I stopped drinking even diet soda and lost 6 pounds.

Hate to break it to them, it aint the lack of Vitamins thats keeping me from drinking.

5. nweaver says:

Well, you aren’t getting sucrose, because real sugar costs real money because of the punatively high tarrifs on imported sugar.

6. kerry says:

@Falconfire: I did, too! I think a lot of it was water weight from all the sodium, but I suspect it has something to do with artificial sweeteners ultimately lowering your metabolism. Your tongue tells your brain there’s sugar coming, the stuff hits your stomach and your body freaks out that there’s no energy there and pulls back on its metabolic rate. Ta-da, 10 extra pounds!

7. MissPinkKate says:

7-11 did that pink, vitamin enhanced soda. It was naaaaasty. I don’t think these sodas will do too well.

8. itmustbeken says:

I’m still kickin’ it old school with TAB.

Scew this Lite and One crap, give me Saccharine and lots of it. That bright pink can says I’m not afraid of death or looking prissy.

9. BlackBirdTA says:

I’ll lose all of my teeth due to the phosphoric acid, but at least I’ll be getting my vitamins!!

10. bastarre says:

I dropped soda and fast food two weeks ago and have already dropped 9 pounds. It’s the sugar in the sodas that kill you.

11. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Coke to shed Enviga’s taint.

12. SexCpotatoes says:

@bastarre: no, bastarre, it is the High Fructose Corn Syrup, or the Aspartame in regular and diet sodas respectively that “kill” you.

13. Starfury says:

I’ve cut my diet soda intake in half and have mostly cut fast food out of my diet. I’m also walking at lunch 3-5 days a week. So far I don’t know if I’ve lost weight but my wife did say I’m looking a little thinner. She gave up soda for lent and may just stop drinking it completely. It’ll save us money not having to buy the stuff.

14. kenposan says:

Coke is healthy, coke is healthy, coke is healthy. WHERE IS MY COKE!!!!!! I NEED MY COKE

Love coke with lime in it. :)

15. AcidReign says:

…..The company I work for made 7up Plus for a while. Sales were abysmal. It was a pink drink that tasted like fruity chalk! As the Pepsi exec said in the Times article, though, the holy grail IS a zero-calorie sweetener that tastes good. In the meantime, big soda companies are always rolling out new products. Most of these fail. Still, it’s worth it to a company when one of these experiments turns out like Mt. Dew.

…..If fortified drinks ever take off, it won’t be because they’re “healthy,” it will be because consumers enjoy them. And they would be an incremental improvement, healthwise. If they sell, maybe even more health-conscious development would be in the offing.

16. QuirkyRachel says:

Hmmm…healthy aspartame. Who knew?

17. CeilingCat says:

What’s bad about this is that soda is acidic and few vitamins (even the acidic ones) would survive intact at the pH found in a can of Coke. The manufacturers can still claim that it contains X percent of RDA for a particular vitamin, even if the vitamin is not in a biologically available form.

Also worrisome are the idiots who think that “more must be better” and load up on this vitamin and extract laced stuff. Some of those fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, Beta Carotene) have shockingly low concentrations where they become toxic.

18. synergy says:

@SexCpotatoes: You beat me to the comment. That’s it exactly.