Results: Which Walmart Core Customer Are You?

Here’s the results of last-weeks poll where we asked, of the three core customer types Walmart is focusing its efforts on, which are you? The definitions of the types are:

Brand Aspirationals: people with low incomes obsessed with names like KitchenAid
Price-Sensitive Affluents: wealthier shoppers who love deals
Value-Price Shoppers: customers who like low prices and cannot afford much more

Don’t ignore The Consumerist readers. They’ve got moolah and they know how to use it. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. VA_White says:

The only time I’ve been inside a Wal-Mart in five years was to take a picture of the Nazi t-shirts.

I went in and took the pics with my camera phone and when I left, I felt like I needed a shower.

—Firmly entrenched in the 14% of conscientous objectors that Wal-Mart doesn’t give a rip about

2. NeoteriX says:

…Or maybe everyone wants to believe they are a “price sensitive affluent” :)

3. FishingCrue says:

WalMart carries name brands? Name brands other than their own brands? Who knew?!?

4. mateo60 says:

I didn’t vote because there wasn’t a “Steals a Donut when at Wal-Mart” category. The last three times I’ve gone to Wal Mart, I’ve either stolen a donut or a banana.

None of the employees seem to mind (because they’re being paid minimum wage) and it’s quite obvious when I do it because I eat it in plain sight when I shop.

I highly recommend this for anyone who’s not on probation.

5. souhaite says:

Conscientious objector here – maybe that should have been one of the poll answers?

6. mathew says:

Translating Wal-Mart’s 3 categories:

“Value-Price Shopper”: Poor people who can’t afford to shop anywhere else.

“Brand Aspirational”: Poor people who could just about afford to shop somewhere else, but they figure they might be able to afford brand names at Wal-Mart.

“Price-Sensitive Affluent”: Yuppie pricks in SUVs who don’t care if the local economy is destroyed so long as they’re alright and can get a bargain.

7. bmeckel says:

haha, 1331!!!

8. Scuba Steve says:

I’m the dirty unwashed console camper who sleeps behind the coke machines out in the lobby.

It was a harsh 30 hours.

9. healthdog says:

Damn, mathew, why you gotta hate on us pricks?

10. mopar_man says:

@mathew:
    3 for 3. Good job!

11. matt1978 says:

Does anyone remember the Simpsons ep where they showed Duff, Duff Dry, & Duff Ice all coming from the same tap? Well replace the Duffs with Wal-Mart, Patagonia, and Gap. Point? Everything you buy comes from the same place – this is directed at you mathew, quit whining about the local economy -mom & pop should get with it or get out.

12. mopar_man says:

@matt1978:

You’re obviously a Wal-Mart supporter and missing the whole reason they’re hated. They’re not out to compete with mom & pop stores, they’re out to destroy them and create a monopoly. Mom & pop stores generally carry quality merchandise for a little more money. Wal-Mart? Just the opposite. I know my short time in this small town (UP of MI), I’ve seen several stores go under to Wal-Mart.

13. Jesse in Japan says:

They’re forgetting two categories:

Those who go to Wal-Mart to buy pot off of Wal-Mart employees and then pick up some snacks on the way out.

and

Those who go to Wal-Mart in the hopes of meeting somebody they can spend the rest of their lives with (or at least a drunken night that they’ll only remember with a vague since of shame).

14. MaliBoo Radley says:

@souhaite:

I fully agree. Do a new poll to find out how many of us don’t shop there. Surely that would make more of a point?

15. ConsumptionJunkie says:

what about “The Gay”?

16. Youthier says:

Prior to my Walmart becoming a “Super Walmart” (and me getting a digital camera), the one-hour photo was right next to the front door, the photo staff was nice, helpful, and quick and it was the cheapest rates. So is there a category for “Shoppers who will shop at Walmart for all conveiences that don’t require going past the greeter”?

17. nweaver says:

Bah, I’m a conciencous objector.

Target is inexpensive. Wal*Mart is just cheap.

18. MDT says:

Methinks the poll says more about Consumerist readers than it does about Walmart. Not a bad thing, just means that we’re not exactly talking a scientific survey here…

19. infinitysnake says: