Lawsuit Alleges Comcast Allowed Murder Suspect To Stay On The Job, Kill Again

Did a Chicago woman die because Comcast didn’t pull a murder suspect from his job as a cable technician?
From the Daily Herald:

A Polish immigrant was killed because a cable repairman was allowed to continue making house calls despite being a suspect in a murder investigation, the victim’s fiance alleges in a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Chicago.

Grzegorz Magiera’s wrongful death complaint says Comcast Corp. knew Anthony Triplett was suspected in the October slaying of one of the company’s customers but took no action.

Triplett, who was employed by a Comcast subcontractor, is accused of beating and raping Magiera’s fiance, Urszula Sakowska, during a service call to the couple’s home two months later.

“I am devastated and my heart is broken,” the 29-year-old Magiera said during a press conference at his attorney’s office. “It should not have happened. Comcast should have been more careful about its workers.”

Comcast was not able to comment other than to express sadness, due to pending litigation. One again, we’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone not to be alone in the house when having a stranger over to do repair work of any kind. Murderers have jobs, too. —MEGHANN MARCO

Suit alleges Comcast knew about murder suspect [Daily Herald]
(Photo: Mindfrieze)

Comments

1. Kornkob says:

I think you meant ‘due to pending litigation— Comcast wouldn’t have any problem commenting on potential legislation….

2. Kornkob says:

I think you mean that Comcast won’t comment because of pendign litigation, not legislation.

3. mopar_man says:

Comcast sure is getting the short end of the stick today but it is/was all preventable.

4. B says:

Don’t be home alone with repairman cause they might kill you. Don’t leave them unattended cause they might rob you. What are we supposed to do with them?

5. faust1200 says:

Well at least the tech showed up.

6. B says:

@faust1200: And stayed awake.

7. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I think this sentence is more accurate with the comma removed…

“Comcast was not able to comment other than to express sadness due to pending legislation. “

I’m sure the are said they are being sued!

8. QuirkyRachel says:

I can’t begin to tell you how much this freaks me out. I live alone! What am I supposed to do? And the Comcast junk never works!

9. mschlock says:

I have to have Comcast come out to install a couple more CableCARDs over here…do you think they have a “Non-Murderer” option on the service tech work orders?

10. pronell says:

@QuirkyRachel: Don’t have cable. Or get a gun.

Then again, the latter is probably bad advice. A year or so ago, a friend of a friend was killed not far from where I live. An acquaintance of hers tried to rape her, and she defended herself with a sword… which he then wrenched from her and used to kill her.

Maybe the best thing is to notify your next of kin whenever a contractor comes to your home.

11. FreakyStyley says:

mschlock: Yes, but it’s an extra charge.

12. faust1200 says:

Unfortunately you still owe Comcast the money even if one of their techs killed you.

13. NeonCat says:

This is a pretty thorny issue. On the one hand, people are (supposed to be) considered innocent until proven guilty. If Comcast had fired this evil bastard and he turned out to not be the murderer, he could have sued Comcast for dismissing him. OTOH, even discounting the fact that you have to be stupid/insane to commit another murder when you are a murder suspect, Comcast should have considered assigning him other duties until his name was cleared or he was convicted.

Having a firearm (or a sword) as a personal defense weapon will not help you against an attacker if you are not willing to kill them with it. If you are too squeamish to shoot someone, by all means buy a Taser, a stun gun or some mace, assuming you live in a community that allows you to do this. If you do not live in a community that allows you to do this, either move or take to heart the old adage: It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.

14. Sudonum says:

@NeonCat: You suspend them with pay until the investigation is complete. But Comcast is probably too cheap for that.

15. OnoSideboard says:

@QuirkyRachel: I’m a young, single female who lives alone, and here’s what I do when I have repairmen scheduled–I have a can of mace in my hands as I open the door. I say something along the lines of “I’m so sorry, but please understand that I have to be prepared to protect myself, just in case.” As long as I’m not pointing the mace at him while he works, most of the repairmen I’ve dealt with have been very understanding (and I haven’t had to fend off any unwanted come-ons, either).

16. I suppose the can of mace is probably better than the sword in that someone can’t take it from you and stab you with it, but I think mace would do more to piss off a determined attacker than it would to stop them. If you have delusions of being attacked by every man you’re ever alone with, you’ve got some deeper issues that you need to get ahold of. If that scares you so much, why not just ask a male friend come by when the repairman is scheduled? Nothing pissed me off more when I had to make house calls than being treated like a criminal.