Tattle On Tax Cheats, Get Big Bucks

Know someone who is cheating on their taxes? Under a IRS program enacted in December, you could fink on them and receive a sizable reward.

The Whistleblower’s Office will give monetary rewards, based on the amount the IRS recovered, to people who come forward with evidence about tax cheaters. Allegations get 1-10 percent of the loot recovered. Specific information, especially documents, leading to a recovery could get 15-30.

As an added side-benefit, you’ll be performing a civic duty and helping to prevent others from abusing the system the rest of us abide by.

If you know a tax cheat, you can drop the dime on them at 1-800-829-0433. No information was available as to whether you could turn yourself in and get a reward as well.

Informants will earn rewards for turning in tax cheaters [Sun-Sentinel] (Thanks to c-side!)

Comments

1. scudsone says:

stop snitchin’

2. castlecraver says:

So, its not enough we’ve got to worry about Uncle Sam sorting through our trash, we’ve got to worry about “Dawg the Bounty Hunter” down the street ratting us out now.

Can I be the first to file an “allegation” against Mr. Random Oil Company CEO? All those guys cheat, and 1-10% of the difference would surely be sizable.

3. medium_sized says:

Can I turn in the Jackson-Hewitt lady who unsuccessfully encouraged me not to report $2K of my income?? Surely she’s convinced other people to withhold income, too, and that could really add up! She was also high on either crack or meth while she was doing my taxes. Maybe I’ll get more money for tipping off a drug bust, too!!!

4. brooklynbs says:

Can I turn in a former employee for cheating on his taxes in 1996? Would love to nail the guy for something.

5. shad0ws says:

@castlecraver: so, it’s not enough that i lose about 30% of my paycheck to taxes for government and public services, i’m also expected to sit back and shut up while other people — who rely on similar services from the same government — cheat the system and don’t contribute anything?

please. it’s not even an issue of whether you agree with what the government *does* with your money. it’s an issue of whether you’re willing to support the country you live in, like everyone else who lives there. i’d go farther and add that it is an issue of: “if you don’t like it, go someplace else.”

6. castlecraver says:

@shad0ws: I’m not going so far as to make a judgment on taxation or supporting my country, etc. I’m just saying its no one’s damned business to pass judgment on me and my tax return. If the IRS really needs to rely on Joe Six-Pack to turn in his boss, then it might be indicative of a larger problem on their part.

Please. As if you’ve never skirted the system where others have done their part. Everyone has at some point. That’s why, IMHO, it might be a little hard to hear a whistleblower from inside their glass house.

7. mathew says:

Can’t the IRS just purchase a copy of the Libertarian party’s mailing list?

8. tz says:

So, if someone is falsely accused (like the calls to child protective services or other revenge calls), and spends $10,000 defending themselves, can they turn around and sue the whistleblower?

Or, if the person who is giving bad advice is an IRS agent? Can they be turned in?

Let’s all be good little germans and make sure we can fund Frau Chancellor (aka Fraulein Rodhammeyer who would never approve of health care for Clara) when she is elected to office.

If you like 4th amendment protections, you shouldn’t go around privately breaching them. Drop an open bottle of nearly empty vodka into your troublesome neighbor’s car then call the DUI fink line?

And I think Microsoft legally has paid no taxes for most of its existence (though reports earnings to the SEC). But nothing illegal here.

9. Elaine Chow says:

Oh man, now I wish I worked for an oil company so that I could do the whistleblower thing… can you imagine all the money I’d make off if I could catch one of them cheating? *cackles ominously*

I wouldn’t grumble so much about paying taxes if I was allowed to tell the government where I didn’t want my money to go – the war, farm bill subsidies (that only end up benefitting ADM and Cargill anyway).

Since I can’t, I may not cheat on taxes myself, but I sure as hell won’t bother caring if someone else decides to.

10. Maulleigh says:

Why don’t I know more dishonest people?!!!

11. CorporalNobby says:

Sounds a lot like the Soviet Union in 1938.

12. Musician78 says:

I hate rats. I know several people who have screwed over the IRS, but I would never rat them out. I say if you got the balls to do something like that then more power to you. I don’t have the balls. I have heard the horror stories.

13. Seriously, I wonder if this applies to corporations or just private citizens? If it does apply to companies, wow, there’s a lucrative full-time job out there awaiting someone with the cajones to catch Corporate with their hand in the cookie-jar!

FYI, you’ve always been able to tip the IRS on someone; you just didn’t get paid before. It remains one of the best possible revenge tactics in the country, and it’s 100% legal. The second-best tactic is to call the 700 club, express interest in donating, and then give them your enemy’s contact information.

My $0.02 is that while ratting people out to the government should be a limited and carefully-managed thing (we do allow it in the case of other crimes already, you know, but it’s hardly widespread–though I do worry about it spreading over into the post-9/11 racism problem we’re having) …Still, in this case, there’s little or no moral defensibility for not paying one’s taxes. So you can bitch about the guy who turns you in if you like, but it’s about as compelling as complaining about the person who caught you cheating on your exams.

14. crisrose says:

“Still, in this case, there’s little or no moral defensibility for not paying one’s taxes. So you can bitch about the guy who turns you in if you like, but it’s about as compelling as complaining about the person who caught you cheating on your exams.”

15. andyj76 says:

@crisrose: I thought it was the Japanese that the Americans persecuted in WWII. Followed closely by the Communist witch hunts.
    It’s somewhat of a leap to compare the morals of reporting someone for cheating on their taxes (which incurs a cost on all those who do pay their taxes, the money has to come from somewhere) to sending innocent people to internment camps and possibly death based on their ethnicity or religion.

Reducing tax cheats should reduce the amount of tax that is needed to be taken from the honest people. Of course, that would rely on the government being honest, which is another story altogether.

16. synergy says:

Can I turn in Congress? I think they’ve been making money forever and not reporting on it.

17. shad0ws says:

“Yep, and during WWII you would have been turning in those who hid Jews – after all, it was against the law. Get off your knees lowlife.”

wow. just WOW. i literally sat back in awe for a few moments after reading that.

why YES, when you pay taxes it’s like supporting the Nazis! exactly! i couldn’t have said it better! and what does the U.S. need *money* from its citizens for, anyway?? after all, our country is run with gumdrops and lollypops provided to us directly by Jesus!

18. Anonymous says:

Iinvested I $35,000 in ClearwaveSignal only to have to owner take money out of the company account for personal use. He took his freinds out drinking and bought his childeren cloths ect. He said I had stock in the company only to find out nothing was legal . He has closed the company down only to start a nother one with a simular name Clearwave wireless.I have the checking account numbers and canceled copies of check with the bank statements How do I send this information to