Round 11: Clear Channel vs Halliburton

Gawker Media polls require Javascript; if you’re viewing this in an RSS reader, click through to view in your Javascript-enabled web browser.

PREVIOUSLY: Sony vs Exxon, RIAA vs U-Haul.
NEXT: Verizon vs Walmart

Comments

1. healthdog says:

A dead heat?! C’mon guys, Clear Channel is blanding our free radio, but Haliburton is stealing your tax return!

2. mfergel says:

That’s a tough one but I’m going to go with Haliburton because Clear Channel is up for sale so maybe the new owners will make it suck less……..I can dream, can’t I?

3. KevinQ says:

While I don’t have much contact with either company in my day-to-day life (I don’t listen to commercial radio, and I don’t rebuild former dictatorships), I suspect that Halliburton is doing more each day to make my life miserable than is Clear Channel.

K

4. etinterrapax says:

I agree, this isn’t even a fair fight.

By the way, I try not to go all English teacher on you guys, but “arousing” only has one R.

5. WindowSeat says:

Halliburton, not even a moment’s hesitation. Clear Channel just killed radio, Halliburton’s business model is people getting killed.

6. aka Cat says:

No contest.

I can pay for satellite radio or use an iPod or CDs to bypass Clear Channel.

7. B says:

“I don’t have any way to prevent my tax dollars from enabling Halliburton’s evil.”

Of course you do. Contact your elected representatives. If they’re unwilling to support your positions, vote for somebody else. In America, the government works for you, don’t ever forget it or let the politicians try to convince you otherwise.

8. apollonia666 says:

Hm, I’m stuck on this one, but spelling “arousing” with two R’s is pretty bile-arousing…

9. aka Cat says:

@B: Funny, I have written to my ‘representatives’, and I have voted for someone else. But strangely, my tax dollars continue to roll into Halliburton’s pockets.

I must be doing something wrong.

10. WindowSeat says:

@B: Contacting your elected representative seems like the way to go, but our elected representatives were active participants in the dismantling of our (formerly) vertically-integrated Armed Forces and elected office is one of the stepping stones to a career in companies like Halliburton, SAIC and Bechtel.

11. kenposan says:

Cheney=Halliburton. ‘nough said.

12. Americana says:

Halliburton isn’t exactly cleaning up in Iraq, folks.

13. Paul D says:

People don’t die because of ClearChannel.

14. I agree that ClearChannel does not cause people to die- directly that is. I dont know. Isnt ClearChannel responsible for what we hear and what we dont hear? Would Halliburton be in the position they are today without ClearChannel? I might be making a stretch to reach the conclusion that ClearChannel can throw a lot of weight around when it comes to influencing the public opinion but I have to cast my vote with ClearChannel although Halliburton is the more OBVIOUS evil.

15. Logan26 says:

You people are aware of the fact that Halliburton is THE ONLY company anywhere in the world that does what they do? If you think they are unfairly raking it in, then start up a company to compete against them. The gov has to listen to your proposal because of the laws congress has put in place to ensure all companies get a fair shake at gov contracts. Wish I had thought of starting a company that does what they do, I’d be just as rich as they are today. Guess it pays to be the only ones in certain markets.

16. orielbean says:

Logan, they are the only company who can build schools and prisons and housing overseas? The only ones who can run cafeterias? Gimme a break. They are the biggest.

17. Logan26 says:

Tell me orielbean. how many other companies supply people who have passed security checks? How many other companies can supply people for security in high risk areas who pass security checks? How many companes supply american working people and not mexicans just to save on the botom line for those things you mentioned above? Halliburton is the only one I know of.