FBI Investigation: Is Walmart Reading Your Email?

Walmart probably knows what The Consumerist is doing Friday night, if what CNBC is reporting is true. They’re reporting that the FBI has launched an investigation into Walmart’s email monitoring practices. What started out as an internal monitoring program has gotten “out of control” and Walmart has apparently been monitoring the emails of non-employees. From CNBC:

“What we’re told here is that Wal-Mart had security officials who were monitoring e-mails, but somehow the monitoring got out of control,” said Williams, who broke the news on CNBC.

No word yet on the extent of the problem or who was targeted by the Walmart spies. —MEGHANN MARCO

Wal-Mart Probed Over Monitoring OF Outside Emails [CNBC](Thanks, Matt!)

Comments

1. Gman says:

Guarantee they are probably reading Target Exec e-mail’s.

2. mopar_man says:

What WON’T Wal-Mart do these days to become the scum of the Earth?

3. jgodsey says:

first Bush, then HP now Walmart? am ‘I’ the only person not eavesdropping on someone?

4. vr4z06gt says:

Thats just another reason to say FUCK Y0U walmart, and go to target.

5. LTS! says:

Sigh… is this really that big of a story? First of all, Wal-Mart is NOT in ur mailbox readin ur emailz.

The employee was monitoring the incoming mail to Wal-mart and recording phone conversations. This kind of stuff could happen at XYZ company on any given day because someone has to have access to the PBX and related systems. This gets even easier with the companies that have adopted VOIP systems.

I have the ability to monitor every persons’ email for my entire organization. I could do it and it would take awhile before anyone would notice. I don’t do it because I enjoy my job.

This is not like Wal-Mart was hacking into external sources to read email.

Go about your business, here’s the headline. Wal-mart employee illegally tracks and records Wal-Mart communications.

6. juri squared says:

Um… I’m confused. The article linked mentions phone and text conversations, but not e-mail.

7. Aston14 says:

It says that a wal-mart employee recorded phone calls with a NY Times reporter. You may need to update the article to reflect this, I thought Wal Mart ninjas were reading about all of my innermost secrets when I saw the headline.

8. NeoteriX says:

The recordings are from Wal-Mart’s own phone systems…

9. Daytonna says:

I dislike vauge fearmongering articles like this one. Especially when prefaced buy misleading and/or blatently untrue “screamer” headlines.

This was a “rogue” employee.
    The monitoring was done on company employees, who were probably talking with a reporter they shouldnt have been, on company phone equipment.
    That the third party, in this case a reporter from the N.Y.Times was recorded is a non issue, as the reporter was calling INTO walmart to talk with the employee. There by agreeing to Walmart’ monitoring….

The only real violation I saw in the article was the idiot IS dept individual recording the pages/text messages of people not working for walmart, using equipment wich DID NOT belong to walmart. The individual did violate monitoring laws and should be hammered. walmart has already fired him, and taken action against his bosses. case closed, non issue, not a story.

10. AcidReign says:

…..It’s pretty much a given that work email might be monitored and/or recorded. If you’re still forwarding jokes from work these days…

…..My company has us sign computer-use agreements stating that email and browsing WILL be monitored.

11. Wow – that’s going to be worse than the HP pretexting scandal – and will probably get just as much coverage in the press.

Actually, it may get coverage in the press, as long as no pretty white girls have anything whatsoever happen to them.

12. hugslife says:

I detest Wal-Mart. It’s evil. However, I’m with Daytonna 100% on this. Taken with it’s headline, this blog post is as shady and manipulative as the corporation it blasts. Consumerist does good most of time, but items such as this one do a lot to negate it.

13. capnfive says:

Yeah, I don’t get it. From reading the article, this doesn’t seem to have anything to do with Walmart reading anyone’s emails… let alone (potentially) my emails. Where does this headline come from?? I think you should probably edit this one… it hurts your credibility in my book.

14. Smashville says:

Um, that’s not what the story is about at all. Wal-Mart…like any other company in the US…reads the e-mails coming off of their own service. And like any other major company in the US, warns their employees as such.

I mean, is a practice that is practiced by every other business in the US and completely legal reason for a posting? Should we have a separate posting where we announce that “Is Walmart Funneling the Government Money?” because they are taking out Federal Income Tax?

15. GrandestUgg says:

vr4z06gt…..Do you know the REAL story on Target? Have you ever seen a U.S. Soldier asking for ‘Toys for Tots ‘ or any other soldier on Target property seeking any charity? Have you ever wondered why? You sound like a real ‘intelligent individual, check it out! Wal-Mart maybe isnt a perfect corporation, but Target shouldnt be allowed here sucking up our $$$ and down-grading our Country. Please get your facts straight.