Angus Burgers Coming To McDonald's

If you’re in Southern California and feeling adventurous, you can try the new experimental Angus Burger at McDonald’s. From the OC Register:

On Monday, McDonald’s will launch a line of three premium six-ounce burgers made with 100 percent USDA-inspected Angus beef in restaurants in Orange, Kern, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura counties. Cost: $3.99. Here’s a list of the offerings.

Angus Bacon and Cheese: Bacon, melted American cheese, sliced red onions, mustard, ketchup and pickles.

Angus Mushroom and Swiss: Sauteed mushrooms, Swiss cheese and mayonnaise

Angus Deluxe: Topped with melted American cheese, sliced red onions and tomatoes, green leaf lettuce, mustard and mayonnaise.

Angus is a breed of cattle known for tender, marbled beef. The new “Angus Third Pounder” weighs in at a hefty 760 calories and 41 grams of fat. Add bacon and the burger shoots up to 860 calories and 48 grams of fat. —MEGHANN MARCO

McDonald’s Set To Roll Out Premium Patties Monday [OC Register]

Comments

1. ElizabethD says:

Better name: Angina Burger?

2. Musician78 says:

Jesus. Prince Charles is going to be pissed.

3. esqdork says:

How about they sell a burger that’s from a meat processer that can guarantee sanitary ground meat? I finished reading “Fast Food Nation” over the weekend and I will never ever eat ground meat again.

4. mfergel says:

Well, I’d be curious to try it but I really don’t need a burger that size.

5. Musician78 says:

@esqdork:

I have heard that from other people who read that. I am too scared to because I love hamburger.

6. ajn007 says:

@esqdork
    @musicisan78

Go to a butcher, buy a steak and ask the butcher to grind the steak for you. Then make your own burger! It is fun, easy and tastier than any garbage you’ll get at a fast food restaurant.

7. AcidReign says:

…..The last few fast-food burgers I’ve eaten were charred down to a crispy, crunchy, blackish crust. No worries about germs, there. Burnt beef carcinogens, though are a whole ‘nother ballgame! I think an “Angus burger” is mostly a promotional gimmick. By the time you’ve put it in a bun, slathered it in various condiments and cheese, you’re not really going to be able to taste the difference.

…..We rarely eat hamburger at home. The price these days for decent ground chuck is ridiculous! I can buy a whole eye of round, and have marinated, cooked-on-the-grill roast beef for a dollar less a pound! Even pork loin and chops are cheaper. And of course, chicken is the bargain way to eat meat.

8. SecureLocation says:

Anus burgers?

9. Dacker says:

One must be cautious about companies using the term, “Angus”. Yes, Angus is a breed of bovine often associated with superior beef, but it has become a marketing term and/or brand.

Take “Certified Angus” as just one example. While the name implies beef cut from Angus-breed bovine, there is no requirement from the USDA or any other government agency which requires the beef to come from animals of the Angus breed — “Certified Angus” beef can from from any breed.

It will be interesting to see if Mickey-Dees ends-up using a “tm” or “circle-R” in their advertising when they use the term, Angus.

10. AcilletaM says:

Those of you with the KitchenAids, buy the grinder attachment and grind your own.

I read and *strongly* recommend Fast Food Nation. Haven’t stopped at McDonald’s since.

These burgers strike me as funny because they are trying to go higher end and then they go and throw their pure-oil “American Cheese” flavored food product on top of two of them.

11. I go to the butcher and they grind my beef for me.
    I think next year I have get half a cow. I have the freezer for it, but I can’t eat that much beef I think.

12. gardencat says:

After all the talk in the news about the nutrition of fast food, here they go again adding more fat to their menu. And oh yeah, I forgot…putting healthy food on the menu doesn’t bring in the $$$

13. middy says:

What’s the point of this post? I don’t get it.

14. thunderstruck says:

Please let’s not confuse the drive-thru kids by asking how we can tell if it’s really angus beef. Save time, and ask the manager.

15. guroth says:

So now instead of going to McDonald’s and getting the shits for 99 cents you can get the shits for $3.99?

16. mad_oak says:

Anus burgers? With special sauce? (Yes, as I scrolled down, I saw I was copying someone else. Deal with it!)

17. mad_oak says:

And a six ounce burger… with like a 40% fat content to keep costs down… means you are eating one shrively small piece of anus…. I mean angus.

18. Charles Duffy says:

My grandmother-in-law owns and operates a cattle ranch in Oaklahoma, and was commenting that ranchers don’t see nearly the premium which consumers pay for Black Angus. They’re smaller-than-average cattle, and thus yield somewhat less meat, making them more expensive to raise — but the premium paid at a restauraunt doesn’t correspond to the sale price difference on the far side of the production mechanism.

[Even store-bought meat is pretty good here in Texas, but there’s little that beats Grandma’s cooking when what she’s cooking was slaughtered in the next building over from the house].

19. FLConsumer says:

Damn, someone already made the anus burger joke. At least it’s healthier for you than the Ruby Tuesday burgers.

20. ikes says:

Dammit, people! Now you’ve got me hungry for anus. I mean, angus.

21. Bassam says:

While it seems that the Angus burgers are about to be launched, I’ve seen them advertised around Los Angeles over the past 3 weeks.

I’ve tried them myself twice. They were tasty, but I felt like throwing up afterwards both times.

Back to Big Macs for me.

22. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Wait, if you have to specify that your hamburger be made out of good meat, what does that say about “non-angus” burgers???

(@homers: “Mmmmmm….tastes like experimental…..”)

23. Sunbun says:

A $1 off coupon for the brave and the courageous:

24. Wasabe says:

Why is this a big deal? Doesn’t BK already have an angus burger?