Kodak's Trade-In Program Pays For Your Old Camera

Kodak will pay for your old camera if you buy a new Kodak EasyShare. It’s like trading in your old car, except there are no shady dealers.

Step 1 — Register for a Trade-In account and log in to the Trade-In Center.
Step 2 — Select the appropriate trade-in estimator and receive an instant estimate.
Step 3 — Buy your new camera at kodak.com.
Step 4 — Ship a copy of your kodak.com receipt & your old camera using the prepaid shipping label.
Step 5 — 7 to 14 days after receipt of the item, we send payment to you by check.

The program, which has been active since last October, evaluates several factors, including camera condition, zoom level, and external media included. The trade-in value is determined primarily by megapixel count.

We tested Kodak’s Trade-in Estimator by entering the specs of a new Kodak EasyShare C653, which retails for $129.95. The Trade-in Estimator estimated its value at $66.00. Apparently a new camera is like a new car; drive it off the lot, and it loses half its value. Still, this is worth considering for anyone looking to swap their digital camera for a newer Kodak. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Kodak Fast Cash Trade-In Center [Kodak via Frugal for Life]
(Photo: OiMax)

Comments

1. cedarpointfan says:

Hmm, I estimated my 8.0mp Olympus at 145, paid 180. Not bad I guess…

2. endlessendres says:

I wish Nikon did this, I really need to trade my camera in (Coolpix 8700) for a SLR.

3. mad_oak says:

@cedarpointfan: Yeah.. except who the hell is gonna trade in a brand new Olympus 8.0 mp. I love the fine print where they reserve the right to change the trade in value upon receipt and you agree to accept WHATEVER they decide to pay you. No opportunity to say “HELL NO”.

4. mopar_man says:

While this is a different idea that I haven’t seen before, there isn’t much that I would trade in on a Kodak camera. I have family that uses them and the pictures aren’t real great.

5. mad_oak says:

Love the Canon SD series cameras… Once they worked the kinks out of the SD100, subsequent cameras pack a lot of punch in a small package. Given I know jack about SLR photography, the Canon Powershot S3 looks pretty sweet as a ‘step up’. My mother has a Kodak V570… frickin pain in the arse docking station and charger… thats all I gotta say ’bout that.

6. Aguraki says:

Gunsou-san……:)
    Is nice.

7. lonelymaytagguy says:

Nice deal, but the problem is you end up with a Kodak camera. Some of the cameras are nice, but the software if awful.

8. Helvetian says:

Alternatively you can use the PayPal Trade-In, same company and get a straight up PayPal payment to your account without showing any receipts. Gateway also uses eztradein.com but like Kodak, requires you to purchase a Gateway system and send the receipt. I thought by chance the values would be better, but it’s all the same across the various trade-in sites. A 1MP camera is $13.25 on every site, and believe me I’ve checked.

The eBay one is http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/ I am about to use it soon for my old computer, and get around $500 for it. When the money posts, I simply transfer it to my checking account. Very fast and easy.

9. MeOhMy says:

The real trouble with these trade-up programs is that you have to buy from the manufacturer and pay MSRP. ATI used to have to trade-up program on video cards (maybe they still do) and I remember realizing I could trade in my old All-In-Wonder and get $100 off a new Radeon-based card. Except MSRP – $100 was still more than buying it elsewhere. Whoopdeedoo.

10. Helvetian says:

@Troy F.: That’s why go with the eBay store-front. It gives you a PayPal credit, thus no need to actually buy anything. And you’re right about that problem. You trade-in your old camera for $97 but then realize Kodak.com is charging $299 for the same camera Amazon.com has for $179. That’s why I do the eBay/PayPal route. When the funds credit, send them to your bank account of if you’re a frequent eBayer; use them to pay for auctions. Although I don’t recommend, as you lose potential credit card chargeback rights in the event of a problem.