McDonald's To Sell Smoothies and Iced Coffee?

On the heels of the success of their special new “not horrific tasting” coffee, Ralph Alvarez, president and chief operating officer of McDonald’s Corp, has announced that McDonald’s is exploring “destination beverages,” as part of a new strategy to provide drinks that don’t suck. “Destination beverages” include iced coffee, smoothies, and other “specialty coffee” items. Providing coffee that doesn’t taste like burnt cat hair has sent sales soaring 15%.—MEGHANN MARCO

McDonalds to add drinks [Buffalo News]
(Photo: medalian1)

Comments

1. bambino says:

I’m sorry, but McD’s will NEVER be a coffee/smoothie destination for me or anyone I know.

2. Fusioned says:

This isn’t new at all. McDonalds has been doing this forever near me.

3. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

@bambino:

I’d rewrite that to say -

I’m sorry but McD’s will NEVER be a destination for me or anyone I know.

4. Americana says:

Everyone I know says they have better coffee than Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.

5. capitalass says:

Americana, the reason their coffee tastes better is due to the fact that they allow a certain portion of their coffee beans to be replaced by meal worm. It’s better for the exploited coffee growers in Columbia too because meal worm is easier to extract from trees than coffee. Wait till Starbucks learns that. Go McDonalds!

6. faust1200 says:

I’m stoked for Big Mac and McNugget smoothies. Chewing just takes so much effort.

7. Falconfire says:

Actually their coffee aint half bad, not nearly as good as Dunkin Donuts but eons better than Starbucks since they switched over to their fully automated machines and started using lackluster (but cheaper) beans.

But that being said, not new hear either, they have been selling them at the McD near my campus since before I left college 3 years ago.

8. Bourque77 says:

The same coffe company that roasts 80% of Mcds coffe roasts a good but of dunkins coffee as well. Not to shabby, but they have better stuff.

9. Michael Bauser says:

I actually went through my neighborhood McDonald’s drive-through today, and there was a sign outside the teller window saying they couldn’t serve flavored coffees today because of a coffee machine “upgrade.” I wonder if that “upgrade” is related to this story?

10. erockO says:

Most of the items they list here to be sold are probably makable with the material they have in the store anyway except for a few types of fruit. McDs is at least trying to make their shit better. Bravo

11. spryte says:

People saying that McDonald’s coffee is better than what you’d get at Starbucks makes me think the planet has been dipped in crazy juice. Even with this supposedly delish new coffee McD’s is serving, I doubt they have the quality or the variety (of beans, not froufrou drinks) that Starbucks (or any similar place, i.e. Peet’s) has. I think some people are just not that discerning when it comes to taste.

I wonder if the smoothies will be made with beef tallow. Or if, like probably everything else the morons who eat at McD’s order, it will simply be spiced with employee spit and boogers. MM-MMM TASTY!

12. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I think McDonalds and Starbucks should to the double-up thing like KFC and Taco Bell (or in some cases, Long John Silvers).

Anyone up for a trip to McStarbucks?

Personally, I think their Newman’s iced coffee is excellent. It’s at least as good as Starbucks, IMHO, and certainly way better than Dunkin’ Donuts. I’m not a coffee expert, and I don’t play one on TV, so maybe I don’t have the taste-buds of a coffee snob.

That being said, I don’t forsee going to McDonald’s just for the coffee. Starbucks has one thing going for it…no screaming kids or buses full of high-school football players. I don’t even mind paying a couple of dollars extra for the peace and quiet. Besides, who can put a price on feeling like you’re better than everyone else?

13. wasylm says:

They must have been testing this in my region, because I had McDonald’s iced coffee almost a year ago. Like everything at McDonald’s, the serving is enormous, and there was so much flavor syrup in it that I could barely drink it. If they train their McEmployees how to put in a reasonable amount of syrup and milk, I wouldn’t mind trying it again.

14. clbarrientos says:

nytimes reports studies say McD’s Coffee tastes better than Starbucks.

15. Her Grace says:

This isn’t new to me. McDonald’ses in Oz usually have a McCafe section/menu that is all frilly espresso drinks and smoothies and such. I’ve never tried it (Melbourne is full of old Italian cafés where I can get an incredible latte or cappucino for the same price, so there’s been no reason), but I’ve had McDonald’s drip-brew coffee in the US and it’s pretty reasonable, especially for a buck a cup.

Starbucks may use better quality beans, but the burn the ever loving hell out of them to the point that they’re sour and gross. I’d take a properly roasted, poorer quality bean over a slightly higher-end (but not what I’d call good quality) bean that’s been over-roasted so that many of the more subtle flavours are simply lost, and the predominant taste is burnt and sour, every single time. My big beef with Starbucks isn’t that it costs a limb for a coffee there, but that they’ve convinced people that their crap is what coffee should taste like, by virtue of plying on people’s “I paid a lot of money, so it MUST be good!” sensibilities.

I don’t know. I accept that I’m a complete coffee snob–I’m learning how to roast my own beans–but I’m also a complete addict, and if I must have coffee…well, atleast if the McDonald’s sucks, it’ll have been cheap.