SOLVED: Olshan Foundation Repair's Warranty Not So Lifetime

After his complaint appeared on The Consumerist, Charles got a call from Olshan Foundation Repair Company. Now he appears to be on the sweet path to resolution.

He’s gotten calls from the manager of his local office, had visits from two Olshan VPs, and the firm’s majority owner also called to offer his direct line if the followup job wasn’t completed to Charles’ satisfaction. Nice.

However, Olshan wants Charles YouTube and our post taken down. Charles wants our post taken down too.

We’re glad Olshan has a Google Alert for their name. but we don’t remove posts except in extreme circumstances. We’ll point to this post in an update to the old, but we won’t remove it. Just because you fix a customer service bungle after getting publicly outed doesn’t mean you get a free pass on its record.

Charles letter, inside…

Charles writes:

I wanted to thank you for posting my complaint with Olshan Foundation Repair Company and give you an update on my situation.

Shortly after you posted my story I got a call from the office manager of the local Olshan office. She had gotten my third letter and noticed in the body of the letter that it was my third letter. She also told me that Olshan subscribes to an internet service and had become aware of the Consumerist.com blog. She then set up a visit from two of Olshan’s vice-presidents to help resolve my issues. The next night I got a call from the majority owner of the firm who gave me his direct phone number and asked me call him if his corporate VP’s and the local office did not satisfy my needs. The third night I got a call from the President of Olshan as a follow up from the Owner’s call.

I since have met with the two VP’s and they set up a plan of action to fix my home and pay for the repairs to my walls and brick. As I write this letter the local manager Steve Meier, a very warm gentlemen who apologized profusely for not responding in a timely manner, and his Olshan crew have just finished the foundation work, with which I am very pleased. I will be getting local contractors to make the needed cosmetic repairs to the walls, etc.

One final thought, as a part of Olshan’s action plan to repair my home, they did ask one thing of me. Would I Pleassssseeeee remove the video and blog. Obviously Olshan did need a shove to do the right thing, and obviously Consumerist.com has been a big part of that process. Again I want to thank you and Consumerist.com. I will be removing my YouTube video clip in the few days and I ask that you remove my Olshan blog.

— BEN POPKEN

PREVIOUSLY: Olshan Foundation Repair’s Warranty Not So Lifetime

Comments

1. grouse says:

Yep, as long as the previous story was accurate, it should still stay up.

2. Chongo says:

@Charles –

“Would I Pleassssseeeee remove the video and blog”

Now that the situation is rectified… What are they going to do, REMOVE the foundation? Come back to your house with a sledgehammer and put it back to the way it was?

You shouldn’t remove anything. Its a future warning that when a company screws up there will be a permanent record of the events.

3. bluebuilder says:

One of the things I love about the Consumerist is their integrity. Thank you.

4. Bourque77 says:

Lets see here.
    1. Company screws up something
    2. Customer gets mad and trys to get through to someone to fix the companies mistake.
    3. After hours on the phone and miles of red tape customer gets frustrated and contacts ben to see if he will help.
    4. Consumerist does a blog/article about the company telling the juicy details
    5. Company gets news of the blog/article and to avoid bad publicity do the right thing.
    6. Company then requests bad publicity be deleted because the did what should have been done weeks/months ago.
    7. Repeat steps 1-6 as often as we have large companies screwing customers.

Did I leave out anything?

Yes olshan did the right thing and kudos to them for doing it but the fact it took two vps, the owner, and the ceo to get it done means the blog and video should stay. You should be ashamed of yourself and hte consumerist is here to make sure you do.

5. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

The post should most definitely stay. There is no “History Eraser Button” and I think it’s unreasonable for the company to expect that all traces of their poor handling of the situation are going to just disappear…obviously, that’s what Olshan wants to have happen, so there will be nothing but sunshine and rainbows on the Internet when people google “Olshan.”

It sounds like the company has taken a lot of bad publicity and lost some business over the situation (as they should have), and now as part of their “plea bargain,” they just want all the bad stuff to magically disappear.

You make your mistakes, own up to them, and move on.

6. TPK says:

Their request to delete the article is almost as telling as their handling of the problem to begin with.

No company is perfect, a reputable company would be willing to document how they handle their mistakes.

7. Stepehn Colbert says:

there was never an intention to remove anything from anywhere by the consumerist. You cannot delete news from history; news does not work that way. This isn’t a Communist country.
    It’s great that it all worked out for Charles in the end, but if he thinks that this could simply be removed, like some empty threat, he obviously doesn’t take The Consumerists posts too seriously.
    This is a learning process for everyone it seems.

8. mad_oak says:

@bluebuilder: Lets not go so far as to use the word Integrity. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, Ben ain’t Bob Woodruff and this ain’t Consumer Reports. The Consumerist is the same blog that posted the lovely photoshop about getting analy raped by HSBC. http://consumerist.com/consumer/hsbc/whats-your-perspectiv

So lets keep it all in perspective. The post stays up because the company screwed up. Simple. Elevating it to some higher purpose is disingenuous to say the least.

9. tinfoil says:

Leave up the post, but perhaps modify it to point to this story saying the problem was resolved?

10. MeOhMy says:

@mad_oak: I didn’t realize that humor and integrity were mutually exclusive.

Now I realize why no one ever laughs at my jokes!

11. Winca says:

I miss the caustic days of Joel Johnson sometimes… Acerbic, punishing… ahhh….

12. Uurp says:

It would still be cached.

13. humphrmi says:

Hopefully, Charles did not promise to remove the post, only to ask that it be removed. So, Charles has kept his end of the deal, and Consumerist can keep their end and decline. Now if Olshan keeps their part of the bargain and ensures that this never happens again, this whole thing will become an asterisk rather than a blemish on Olshan’s record. Everyone’s happy.

And, in case anyone asks why the post *must* stay up, let’s consider the other possibility. Olshan pays up with Charles, and the Consumerist post gets expunged (I’m just saying – hypothetically). Olsham goes back to their former, consumer-unfriendly ways. All the sudden Olsham can claim “Well, this is the first time this has ever happened!”

This is why credit reports don’t expunge “bad marks” after you pay off the debt. It’s an indicator of potential risk. If you improve your behavior, eventually the bad mark goes away (or gets overcome by lots of good marks). But, for a while, it stays – just in case. Businesses should be held to the same standard that they hold consumers to.

14. bluebuilder says:

@mad_oak
    Yes,the consumerist makes mistakes, but when it realizes it I have always seen the editors do what they could to fix the situation. (I.e. Flickr dispute)

15. mad_oak says:

@bluebuilder: True… I’ll admit my post was more about the incredibly tasteless HSBC image than this story. Needless to say, when that image went up and wasn’t removed, Ben et al lost a lot of credibility in my mind.

16. Patience says:

In fact, Olshan has been sued or taken to arbitration dozens of times and has spent milinos settling claims. As part of the process, they always get confidentiality agreements, to cover their tracks. It is good to see that they have not been able to sweep this case under the rug. For more information, use the web to check out the Tobey Law Firm in San Antonio, TX. they alone have filed more that 2 dozen cases against Olshan.