FDA Approves Drug For Carsick Dogs

The FDA has approved a drug for carsick dogs. From Yahoo!:

The FDA said the drug, Cerenia, is the first to prevent and treat vomiting in dogs. When used in tablet form, the Pfizer Inc. drug can prevent vomiting associated with motion sickness, the FDA said. The agency also approved an injectable form of the drug, known generically as maropitant citrate, that it said can prevent and treat acute vomiting due to chemotherapy, parvovirus, kidney disease, pancreatitis and other causes.

Severe vomiting can lead to dehydration and death in dogs, the FDA said

Do they have one that’ll let certain editors of The Consumerist play Gears of War without feeling dizzy and nauseated? We’re so lame. —MEGHANN MARCO

FDA Approves Drug For Carsick Dogs
[Yahoo!]
(Photo: ruurmo)

Comments

1. mikesfree says:

Unrelated, but why dont they require car seats for dogs? I was almost run over by a lady driving with a dog on her lap and in her face.

2. WindowSeat says:

This is fantastic, my dog loves car rides but gets sick after about an hour. As for the video game nausea, I find a light somewhere behind me is a good preventative, but the kids I used to babysit(years ago) still laugh about the the time I threw up after playing Doom too long.

3. magic8ball says:

@ Meghann: yes, it’s called Dramamine. :) Seriously, it worked for me when I had morning sickness. And they have a new formula now that’s supposed to not make you sleepy, which I’m assuming would be an issue if you’re trying to play a game.

4. royal72 says:

i’m so getting my non-existent pet dog a prescription for medical marijuana for his chemotherapy…

come on, give me a break. i need a new saying, because wtf!? just doesn’t cover the insanity anymore.

5. faust1200 says:

FYI ginger fights motion sickness if you want something natural. It comes in tablet form. I also saw it “proven” on “Mythbusters” fwiw.

6. anyone else think that the car that reminds me of an AMC Pacer?

I’m glad my dog does not get carsick. Would of made the 5 cross country journeys waaay messier.

7. SOAZtim says:

CANCER SHMANCER!!!! Diet pills and carsick pills for dogs!! A O Kay in my book!!!! …

8. ElizabethD says:

To prevent nausea, couldn’t the dogs just smoke a spliff before the (ha ha) trip?