Worst Company In America 2007: Series 1 Finalists

Click to enlarge.

Congratulations to the contenders moving on to the second series of voting. Even those going home today, you are all losers, no matter what any one else tells you. Remember that. That you even appeared in this contest, that is something no one can ever take away from you.

To some degree, readers voted with their conscience, not their pocketbooks. Few of our readers probably have ever called up the customer service lines for Halliburton, Exxon, or the RIAA. Companies like Clear Channel, U-Haul, Verizon and Walmart, however, have probably more directly impacted their lives as consumers.

Will the final gruesome twosome’s battle be political or pecuniary? Only the vox populi knows. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. girlrobot says:

interesting! i can see why every company is up there except for sony…what did they do??

2. United got stomped on by the RIAA

3. tadiera says:

Haha. I’ll be glad to see where ClearChannel goes. I worked for them and got laid off by them.

4. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Wow, that’s an ugly looking lineup. How about we call an 8-way tie?

5. rachmanut says:

i’m calling it now. wal-mart v. exxon in the finals. no idea who’d win that bloodbath.

6. dohtem says:

@girlrobot: Remember those batteries that were asploding in Dell laptops? They were manufactured by Sony.

7. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@girlrobot: Don’t forget the fake PSP blog, and the hidden rootkits on some Sony/BMG audio CD’s among other things.

8. brilliantmistake says:

I’ll call Halliburton vs Exxon for the finals, with a final win for Halliburton.

9. TVarmy says:

Walmart Vs. Haliburton is a semifinal I’d love to see. My two least favorite companies. After that, I’d like to see the winner fight Exxon (I’d not be able to choose that quickly.). This is a great match-up this year!

10. Americana says:

It’d be cool if some of these votes were actually based on if the company sucked or not rather than the voter’s political beliefs.

Sony should “win”, but Halliburton or Exxon are probably safe bets.

11. Iron_Dragon says:

Come on Sony you can do it! I mean the flog of the year, root kits, exploding batteries, and continued hilarious press releases. My favorites including how you plan to increase PS3 production to get rid of the “PS3 shortage” or how the PS3 had the best launch ever. I mean how bad does your product have to be to have AOL put it as #2 on a list of things you shouldn’t buy?

12. iSleipnir says:

Also Sony released CD’s with rootkits.

13. @Iron_Dragon: dont forget about the PSP, that thing never lived up to the hype either

14. Lacclolith says:

I’m betting RIAA versus Verizon. I can see that being a dead-heat battle.

15. pestie says:

@Americana: Political beliefs? Please. I realize the Wal-Mart issue has become politicized to some degree, but regardless of which side of the political fence you tend to hang your hat, there is undeniable, factual proof that Wal-Mart does a lot of shitty things, and if nothing else, their sheer size means that it affects more people than other companies who do the same things. It’s a matter of scale. Their size allows them to manipulate the markets in ways no other company could manage.

Personally, I won’t be voting for (against?) Wal-Mart in this. I don’t much care for their stores or their corporate practices, but I do shop there, and I don’t have any sort of grudge against them. The same count be said of Sony, or even U-Haul (although I will never rent from them). There’s a difference between stupid marketing (Sony), piss-poor customer service (U-Haul) and actively engaging in cronyism and war profiteering (Halliburton) and callous disregard for life, human and otherwise (Exxon).

16. Well put pestie.

17. LeopardSeal says:

I’m calling the RIAA vs Walmart for all the marbles.

This lines up as a truly titanic struggle between the very embodiments of everything wrong with Coprorate America. Organisations and companies of this sort are a sign of not only how industry has lost touch with common sense and decency, but also how badly we have let the wool be pulled over our eyes by corporations claiming to be doing what’s best for the consumer while clearly doing only what fills their own pockets.

(/Rant over)

18. capitalass says:

All my favorite companies! I just drove a Uhaul I rented for a recent move to Walmart, stopping at an Exxon station along the way to fill up while listing to Kissfm and talking to my mom on my Verizon cell phone. All I really wanted from the store was some gmo food to preserve my remains postmortem, but I changed my mind when I saw that fabulous new Kelly Clarkson CD, so I picked that up instead (because I never download–it’s stealing).

You know where my contempt lies. I would not touch anything from Halliburton. I just breathe in the asbestos :)

19. Ben Thoma says:

It’s interesting to me that Consumerist can go through a major site redesign and pull off a better look, but when it comes to making a simple bracket graphic, it looks as if they are creating it with an Atari 2600. What gives?