Inside A Bag Of Microwave Popcorn

Ok, so this isn’t exactly Movietone News or anything, but we didn’t realize that whatever was in microwave popcorn was quite that nasty looking. We will never again wonder why the bag is opaque. Incidentally, we’d like to direct you to easy instructions for making your own microwave popcorn. Cheaper, healthier and it doesn’t look like dog crap that, should you see it come out of an actual dog, would likely prompt you to notify the ASPCA. —MEGHANN MARCO

Inside A Bag Of Microwave Popcorn [HotHotFlame] (Thanks, Apul!)

Comments

1. Jesse McBesse says:

so that’s what the “stuff” i like to scrape off the inside of the bag and eat starts off as. hmm…

2. Kornkob says:

*shrug* Lots of good stuff people eat looks gross when it’s raw and half prepared.

Take a peak at chicken fried rice before it’s done. Or meatloaf. Even bread dough looks like viscous puke before it’s baked.

And have you ever seen beer in primary fermentation? That looks like puke that moves.

3. Juliekins says:

Do a Google search on popcorn workers lung sometime. Apparently that nasty shit isn’t good for the insides of the people that put the popcorn in the bag, either.

4. Jim Kosmicki says:

what did people think was in there? unless you airpop it, popcorn is cooked in oil. the stuff is just orange colored crisco basically. and I’m guessing that it’s orange only so that it will give the finished popcorn that slightly yellow “cooked” color that makes people think the flavoring is really butter.

We have popcorn factories around here, and popcorn workers lung is nasty, nasty stuff.

5. Tallanvor says:

I agree with Kornkob for the most part (I don’t think there’s anything wrong with bread dough. Mmm…. Fresh bread…)

The stuff in the microwave popcorn looks fairly close to the stuff in movie theater popcorn. Yes, it’s loaded with chemicals. But really, if you’re going to complain about all the chemicals, you’d better not be drinking things like soda or sports drinks, and you should really just be preparing your own food.

Now, FitJulie’s link about popcorn worker’s lung says something about the manufacturers not looking out for their employees, and reminds us that too much of the chemicals definitely are not good for us.

I’m more interested in real consumer stories and less in what the foods the editors think is “gross”. Now if a consumer found metal shavings in his bag of popcorn, then we’d have a story.

6. MasonMacabre says:

I stopped eating microwave popcorn once I found out the bags were coated with carcinogens.

7. markymags says:

I thought you found peanut brittle inside that bag of popcorn… at least, that’s what the picture looks like to me.

8. Jamie Beckland says:

I tried that instructable for making your own popcorn, and the big problem that I had with it was that the entire microwave ended up coated with EVOO. It was a ridiculous mess.

I have reverted to cooking my popcorn the old fashioned way: on the stovetop! So cheap!

9. Charmander says:

Just buy an air popper. They work great & you can add exactly as much butter as you’d like.

10. Rajio says:

will, they recommend a LOT more olive oil than you need, you hardly need any. just enought o lightly coat each kernel.

11. mewyn dyner says:

I agree with WillScarlett, cooking popcorn on the stovetop is the best. I really don’t like the taste of microwave popcorn, it tastes too “chemically” to me. I’m not a huge fan of air popped corn, either, because it’s nearly impossible to get the salt to stick to the kernels.

As far as the chemicals that cause problems with popcorn lung, they are ok to eat, mostly because there’s such a small amount in eating them, compared to the workers breathing in the raw chemical. Although, it would worry me with eating it every day.

12. faust1200 says:

Ya I’ve made that same exact ACT II before. It tastes sorta weird but decent. I always wondered why the kitchen smelled like “butter” literally 12 hours after I made it. I’ve since switched to Orville because it seems less noxious. I don’t know if it really is though.

13. acceptablerisk says:

I agree with above posters. I don’t see what the big deal is. What did you think was in there?

For my popcorn needs, though, I use a popper my mom got for Christmas. It’s basically a hot plate with a lid. You pour in a little liquid oil and your corn kernels and plug it in. When it’s done you flip it over and the lid acts like a bowl.

It pops every kernel and doesn’t burn any, something that never happens with microwave corn. And a little oil in the cooking makes a tastier corn than the bland crap that comes out of an air popper.

14. Kornkob says:

@Tallanvor: “(I don’t think there’s anything wrong with bread dough. Mmm…. Fresh bread…)”

Fresh bread– definately very nice— I love it when my sister comes to dinner and brings a loaf of what she’s made up.

Bread dough, however, especially multi grain with nuts and dried fruits— looks like someone vomited in space— one large bulbous mass of ground up ingredients.

Also: Peanut butter cookie dough looks like baby pooh after they’ve had strained squash.

15. Terminixsux says:

Kornkob,your imagination seems to tend toward the grotesque. I love the look, feel and smell of fresh bread dough.Even before you bake it, the yeasty aroma permeates the house with its wholesome goodness. MMMMMMM!!!! And once it’s baked…

16. SecureLocation says:

Well, yes, that is rather disgusting boys and girls. But be careful about making your own as shown in the link. Some paper bags have fragments of metal in the paper that could cause the bag to catch fire and burn you and your corns.

17. swalve says:

The popcorn lung comes from the butter smell, if I remember right. The “goop” should be delicious coconut oil (solid at room temp) and salt, but these days it probably is trans-fat vegetable shortening (margarine/crisco).

18. SexCpotatoes says:

I work in a factory bakery (Nickles, nine state distribution I think, counting Ohio) and I have Popcorn on my breaks sometimes. I don’t see what the big deal about the popcorn is, besides the lung thing…. I’m eating it, not breathing it in. With the baking though, I will say that you don’t get as much of the fresh lovin’ smell of baking bread in the factory, but it makes almost the whole town smell great. One of the best smells though, is when they are baking the sweet-rolls around 3-5am and you walk out and smell–heaven.

19. Jamie Beckland says:

Accepatablerisk: I used several of those hot plate/dome set ups for a long time before abandoning the method.

I agree with everything you say: they are easy to use, they make very good tasting popcorn, and they give you lots of control over the oil in your corn. HOWEVER: the butter ‘tray’ never works. You’re supposed to put a pat of butter on top and let the hot air melt it onto your kernels. But, they are not shaped right and you just end up getting a big melted mess of butter at the bottom of your bowl – when it leaks, you have to toss the pants you were wearing. Also, they are at best annoying to clean, at worst, dangerous. The most you can do is wipe down the hot plate with a paper towel, but you have to let it cool for a few hours first. And, you will never get it *clean*. You can’t submerge it because of the electrical parts.

Finally, I got sick of having so many kitchen appliances, and a device specifically for making popcorn just seemed it wasn’t multi-function enough (although I have used air poppers to roast coffee – but you don’t want to return them to popcorn detail after that!).

When I started popping on the stove, I found that the corn was a little…moist and chewy. So, instead of using the pot cover, I use a splatter screen for bacon – this allows all the steam to escape, but keeps my corns deeee-lish!