CompUSA's "Fire Sales" Expected To Suck

Don’t expect good deals at CompUSA store closings, reader Brian reiterates, as the liquidation company apparently has a history of being anti-consumer:

if you do some research, you’ll find that Gordon Brothers, the liquidation company that purchased the 100 closing stores is incredibly good at screwing customers and employees. look for Compusa fire sale prices to be incredibly bad. (as in, prices will rise, not drop for the first oh, month of sales)

they also will not allow returns, exchanges, or defective exchanges. Most products will not receive manufacturers warranties after purchase by customers.

the fire sale will bode bad news for a lot of customers :(

just imagine the stock that compusa currently has, with the warehouse people sabotaging it. (can you say “dropkick?)

Wonder if local papers will be filled with glossy inserts touting the sales. If so, savvy shoppers will know to compare the prices with the CompUSA prices elsewhere to make sure it’s a deal. Just because the number is surrounded by an exploding yellow star doesn’t necessarily mean savings. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

Well most closeouts of this nature they dont allow for returns exchanges or defective exchanges, its kinda the buyer beware deal, but I cant see how they could block a manufacturers warranty… those are given out by the manufacturer and thus you wouldnt even go to compusa to get it.

I also do not think ANY Apple products will be for sale. They are likely just going to be sent right to a Apple Store in the area. Apple third party products will probably be for sale, but no Apple branded stuff.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I buy all my CD jewel cases at CompUSA ($16.99 for 50 regular sized cases seems like a good deal to me)….so if I show up there today (they are closing) should I expect the price to be raised?? I’d like to stock up on a few boxes.

3. Skamandrios says:

Very funny picture. Ha ha.

4. MeOhMy says:

Yep…anytime I see those neon store closing signs and the people driving around with rooftop signs or standing on the corners of busy intersections, I know it’s one of those fake liquidations. I don’t know if I’d consider it anti-consumer…just fake.

5. Echodork says:

I have a cute CompUSA story, as I worked there for a year or so back in high school.

Customer returns a laptop because it has five dead pixels. Now, the manufacturer’s guarantee on dead pixels is particularly crappy… on this particular model, fewer than sixteen dead pixels is considered a “no-return nonissue” by the vendor. So we argue with the guy for a little while about warranties, restocking fees, and the like. Finally, the hardware manager comes up and OKs an exchange for the same model, and we go into the parts room to grab one.

He climbs up on the ladder to the top shelf, grabs the laptop box, and drops it straight down about 10′ to the ground below. He climbs down the ladder, picks up the box, dusts it off, and hands it to me. “Tell him we aren’t taking this one back for any reason. Make him agree to that,” he says with a wink.

6. Terminixsux says:

CompUSA always sucked. They used to have a flat fee computer repair service. I had a PC with a short that would reboot at random times. I took it in, paid the fee, but they were “never able to replicate the problem.” They kept the fee, and I wound up junking the machine. I vowed then and there that they would never see another dime of my money. Fortunately, there are so many better vendors out there that it’s never become an issue. I’m glad to see that company going down the tubes.

7. rekoil says:

Anyone happen to find a list of which stores are closing?

8. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

Yep nothing like raising the price and calling it a “sale” shouldn’t that be illegal? Anyway I went by the Compusa near my work in Woodland Hills Ca. Sale def sucked big ones. I didn’t see anything good marked down mostly just the cheap stuff..I guess I’ll give it a week and check back. But as far as returns now the nearest store is 82 miles away..so I hope everything works. Funny but the store wasn’t even crowded maybe 12 ppl total @ 11am.

9. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

Rekoil go to the compusa website and find the locations tab, if the store near you isn’t on the list its closing.

10. pe_tor says:

I can verify the complete crappiness of compusa’s store closing sales from one that recently closed on North Telegraph road in Pontiac, MI. Most of the prices were not good at all. Some items were actually good deals right before they carted the leftovers off to a warehouse to restock them elsewhere (hard drives, for instance, actually were a good deal for a few days). Also, all sales were absolutely final, so defective stuff = you’re screwed. I impulse purchased a flash drive and some other stuff and felt quite burned when I checked the prices online later.

11. Coder4Life says:

Actually, there will be NO RETURNS at any store. As I learned from thier last store closings.

You will not be able to return / exchange a product at any compusa in the United States. It says so on the receipt or is suppose to. And all the other stores have been notified to deny returns and have a list of the stores that are closing.