On Second Thought, Don't Expect Good Prices During CompUSA Fire Sales

News of CompUSA closing 100 stores brought visions of fire sales to our eyes (burn, prices, burn!), but our CompUSA insider says those fantasies may be just that.

As for close out sales, if you remember the KANSAS CITY store closings & 14 others, they did not make any good deals. Yet they just screwed people out of their money.

They ran normal sales through their flyers, and you could no longer return the product at any compusa. You did not get any good deals. They might run 10% and gradually go up a little bit. But they sold most of it to a Ebay wholesaler who bought it all for 4 cents to the dollar….

Oh, okay, just keeping buying stuff from eBay? No problem. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Oh baby! You may not be seeing fire sales at CompUSA but you’ll certainly be seeing a LOT of electronics end up at Building 19! (That is, if you live in the Boston area…)

2. AcidReign says:

…..I’ve more or less used CompUSA for parts and such. I’ve been scared to actually buy a computer and expect support there since a tech behind the counter told me that it didn’t matter what sort of ram you bought for your computer, it would all work.

…..They’ve had some amazingly low price deals over the years, but make sure it’s a good price BEFORE the rebate, and make sure you know what the heck you’re doing, because they can’t help you troubleshoot anything. I hope they don’t axe our local Comp, because it’s the only one in the state.

3. Keter says:

Jeez, I sure hope they don’t close “my” CompUSA (Austin Arboretum). I’ve had awesome service and advice from that store, and everything else nearby sux uber hard. I worked with their corporate office in a consulting role last year, and they seemed to be really committed to improving customer service. It may be the only way they can get control over those locations is to clean house. As recent stories about renegade Blockbuster stores demonstrate, it’s possible that the bad customer experiences are due to bad local management.

4. medalian1 says:

Crapusa is right up there with worstbuy. They both could go out of biz and I’d be thrilled.

5. danger says:

I used to work at CompUSA (back when modems were external) and all the good deals were snapped up by the employees — hidden from the customers before the doors opened. I would expect the same here.

6. isadora says:

When the CompUSA went out of business near me, my husband went in to see if any of his regularly-used items were on sale. They had jacked the prices up and then marked them for clearance starting at 20% off the inflated price, resulting in a savings of…zero.

The ink and other items actually cost exactly the same as they did before the clearance signs went up.

7. martinh says:

The only way a conventional store can compete with online merchants is the possibility of personal service from a live person.
    After my one attempt to get any sort of service form CompUsa employees, all I can say is good riddance.

I bought an external DVD burner from them last year. It came with a 90 day warranty. The warrant card said that all warranty repairs or replacements were to be carried out by CompUsa. After about a week, it started to do weird things. It appeared (and sounded) as if the laser was actually contacting the disk as it spun. I took it back, with the box, the receipt and the warranty card. I carefully explained to the youth behind the counter that {1} the drive was in 90 day warranty (and showed the receipt and the warranty card) and {2} That it was physically chewing up disks (I even showed him one). The rest of the conversation went like this:

CUSA: I’m sorry, we can’t replace this, you didn’t buy an extended warranty.

ME it has a 90 day factory warrant and was purchased 2 weeks ago. I showed you the receipt and the warranty card. (at this point the youth look annoyed and scans the warranty card an receipt as if seeing them for the first time)

CUSA: This drive was made by [manufacturers name], you need to take it to them for service

ME: NO, it’s one of your OEM’s the warranty card says I take it to CompUsa , and you repair or replace it at your discretion. As it’s two weeks old, I’d like it replaced. (youth stares at warranty card again as if a snake has just materialized in his hand)

CUSA: I cant replace it, you need to send it to the manufacturer.

ME: GET ME YOUR *&^%@! MANAGER

The youth walks off and ten minutes later returns (without a manager):
    CUSA She says I can’t give you your money back

ME I didn’t ask for my money back!!! Have you listened to a word I said? I want it replaced.

(the youth goes to consult with the manager again)

CUSA She says that I can replace it.

ME good

CUSA (in a tone rather like he just discovered dog poop on his shoe) “you will have to go back there and get me another one”

Now I must confess to not having the best temper in situations like this, and there was something about his tone that really got me mad.

ME The warranty card says that COMPUSA will replace the drive. Now Mo*fu**, which of us is wearing a little badge that says CompUsa?

I assume I looked psychopathic enough by this time that the kid actually went and got a replacement drive. Despite the fact that I had returned the whole package, with power cord, usb cable and documentation, he insists on unpacking the new drive and switching out only the drive itself. In doing so he (accidentally??) puts both USB cable in one box (not the one that I took home).

I really hope if he’s still working there that his is the first job to go