Jessica Simpson, Pizza Hut Spokesperson, Is Allergic To Pizza

You know… it’s not that we require that every celebrity constantly use the product they’re shilling for, but we’d like to think that the spokesperson is able to eat the food without getting sick. Jessica Simpson, spokesperson for Pizza Hut and star of their commercials, told Elle magazine:

There was that internal bleeding discovered last year around the time she was filming Employee of the Month; doctors found the presence of the little bugger thought to cause ulcers. Recently, Simpson tells me, after she was still feeling not quite right, an allergist delivered news that would chill the heart of anyone reared on Texan cuisine: She’s allergic to cheese. And wheat. Oh, and tomatoes…

Cheese and tomatoes and wheat? Yes, Jessica Simpson has ulcers, and pizza gives her internal bleeding. —MEGHANN MARCO

The UnNewlywed [Elle]

Comments

1. kerry says:

I know that we love to make fun of celebrities, but ulcers suck. Finding the problem is half the battle, and it’s not always H. pylori to blame, so at least she knows what to avoid. A life without pizza sounds pretty miserable, though.

2. Charles Star says:

This would be a bigger problem if Pizza Hut “pizza” weren’t constructed entirely out of advanced polymers and labratory flavors.*

* Comment contains artificial facts.

3. thrillhouse says:

Good Lord! She’s allergic to wheat, cheese and tomatoes and she’s just now figuring this out? It must not be very severe or this would have been diagnosed in her early childhood

4. Charles Star says:

@Charles Star:”labratory”? I’m ashamed of myself.

5. Keter says:

Wheat (not gluten, wheat itself) gives me fits. Recently, that’s expanded to grapes(?) and eggs (hens fed on wheat?). Try eating out sometime with a wheat allergy; it’s nearly impossible. It’s even hard to buy common foods at the grocery store: if it says ‘modified food starch’ on it, odds are it’s got wheat. The upside is that just making choices to avoid wheat yields a low calorie diet and weight control (for me, anyway) is automatic. Maybe we now know the secret of the “Daisy Duke” diet. ;o) And I still have pizza occasionally, but I make it on a big round rye cracker instead.

6. crackblind says:

Keter,

IANADr., but the grape thing sounds like a yeast issue. Somewhere I recall that yeast starters can be made with grapes.

7. MosH8ed says:

My god, Jessica Simpson is the only person that can make “internal bleeding” sound sexy.

8. snazz says:

i miss cheese… and pizza! damn lactose intolerance!

9. Citron says:

Just because you can’t eat something that doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t love it. An acquaintance of mine is allergic to chocolate and breaks out all over, especially on his palms, if he eats it — but every now and then just has to eat some chocolate cake. I think he’d make a great chocolate cake spokesperson, seeing as he’s willing to have itchy palm-hives just to get a taste.

So . . . then . . . maybe Jessica Simpson really does love pizza? ?? Fffhh. I don’t know.

10. Paul D says:

@MosH8ed:

Whatever.
    Jessica Simpson gives me ulcers.

11. Yozzie says:

That’s awesome, I can’t stomach Jessica Simpson or Pizza Hut.

12. faust1200 says:

You know Employee of the Month was actually kinda funny. I think ‘consumerist minded’ folks might like it especially because it pokes fun at consumerism.

13. br549 says:

It’s impossible to get to her age in the US with a significant allergy to wheat and not know it.

This story is BS.

14. Kornkob says:

@br549: Actually allergies can develop over time, they can also go away over time. It’s entirely possible that her allergy is new.

It’s also importnat to note that people’s bodies change as they get older. A mild alergy might have such subltle symptoms when you are younger that you don’t even notice it. Then when you cross one of those invisible lines when your metabolism shifts gears symptoms can become more significant.

15. vannsant says:

Maybe she’s also allergic to “Chicken of the Sea”

16. ctrl-freak says:

I don’t get it. She’s allergic to cheese, wheat, and tomatoes.

What does that have to do with Pizza Hut?

17. BelBivDevolkswagen says:

Sure is a bummer, as those three things are the staple of any good Texan’s diet…

18. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

All along, I assumed she was allergic to brains!

19. katana- says:

mmmmm…. braaains….

20. qazwart says:

I very leery when I hear about someone suddenly finding they have an allergy because they “weren’t feeling quite right”. Allergy diagnosis is a big fraud right now.

If you’re allergic to tomatoes, and eat a tomato, you break out in hives and maybe have trouble breathing. You usually know with in minutes of eating or touching that substance.

Yes, you can have other problems with foods that aren’t allergic reactions. A common one is the inability to digest lactose. This isn’t an allergy, but ask someone who is lactose intolerant how they feel about 1/2 hour after drinking a glass of milk.

See http://www.quackwatch.org/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&query… for more information.

21. compubomb says:

I can totally understand what she is going through, I’m lactose intolerant and I have gas problems with egg. She should learn how to cook stir fry. I’m learning right now and it taste great, you can supplement flour with rice flour and your good to go, granted I’ve never made a bread with it, but I’d imagine it doesn’t taste half bad.

22. NoctisEqui says:

it’s also worth noting that although she shills for pro-activ, saying it changed her life blah blah blah, i’ve also read an interview with her in which she said that her doctor put her on accutane a few years ago and now she never breaks out.

so yeah, if you were on accutane, you ain’t never getting zits again, no matter what you smear on your face.

23. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

She makes my brain bleed….gckk.

24. suckonthat says:

I am certainly not a medical doctor, but this whole thing sounds really off to me. If you have H.pylori (I assume that is the “little bugger” mentioned), your diet has very little effect on your ulcers and furthermore, with a little antibiotic, you should be fine to eat whatever (though your stomach is scarred and more suseptable, but nothing major). Based on this, I assume she doesn’t have H.pylori.

In order for the “allergy” statement to be true, I assume that she has Celiac disease (wheat allergy like Keter has), because other allergies should cause hives and anaphylaxis, like quazwart said and Citron described. However, I don’t think people with Celiac have problems with tomatoes and cheese (I think lactose intollerance is a side effect when it is really bad), so it can’t be that. I also don’t think that celiac causes bleeding ulcers, but I could definitely be wrong there.

Ulcers can also be caused by overuse of aspirin (which would have nothing to do with food).

The only other possibility I see is she has Chron’s or Irratible Bowels, but that also doesn’t make sense. The Chron’s/IB would explain the tomato and cheese as well as the ulcer, but wheat has no effect on either disease.

So either: this reporter is unbelievably bad, I am completely wrong about something, or Jessica has some bizarre combination of Irritable Bowels and Celiac.

Regardless of the answer: the discovery of H.pylori is a great science story that results in a Nobel, I speak from personal experience when I say stomach ulcers are ungodly and anyone who has them deserves credit for not going suicidal, and most importantly – I have spent way too much time analyzing Jessica Simpson and her bowel.

25. fluxtatic says:

My wife has allergies/intolerances similar to Jessica Simpson’s (along with many others) and they are not ciliac or IBS or H. pylori (according to several different doctors. In my experience, rarely do wheat, tomato, or dairy cause the freaky-hivey-throat-closing reactions. Allergies can spring up unexpectedly, and get worse with continued exposure. Not that I take anything said by celebrities at face value, but assuming Ms. Simpson’s condition is real, she has my sympathy, along with anyone else that has any combination of these allergies, as it is almost impossible to get food with none of the things she is allergic to.

As an aside, I wonder if anyone has looked at GMO foods as possible contributors to the worsening problems people have with allergies/intolerances.

26. vtplace says:

I have a severe reaction to anything with tomatoes resulting ing violent vomiting. She has my sympathy

27. RomeoCrassus says:

It absolutely is possible to be diagnosed with severe food allergies as an adult in the United States. There are iGe-mediated food allergies, which are instant (anaphylaxis, for example). And then there are latent, iGg-mediated food allergies that cause reactions after the body has been processing the food. The latter are fairly easy to diagnose (with a blood test) once someone recognizes what might be going on, but hard to diagnose until then because of the numerous potential causes of the symptoms. Also, people may develop food allergies as adults or may have their symptoms worsen from the allergies over time, leading to a diagnosis later in life than one might expect otherwise.