How Important Are Consumer Issues For The 2008 Elections?

Not very, if a brief look at the web pages of Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Barack Obama, John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, and other less-well-known actual and potential candidates is any indication. It looks like 2008 is all about Big Issues like Iraq, stem cell research, the economy, Iraq, national security, and terrists. And Iraq. Which is all well and good, but the country’s housing market is falling apart at the moment. Foreclosures are going through the roof, debt collection abuse is rampant, and predatory lending is ubiquitous.

Will politicians focus on consumer issues at all in the 2008 race? Do you care? If they do, will politicians’ stance on consumer issues influence your vote? SAM GLOVER

Comments

1. Bourque77 says:

If they get involved in consumer rights they might piss off some of the big contributors to their party. Disgracful? yes. Am I suprised? No. Although if someone were to make consumer rights a big thing on their agenda its safe to say they’d get more consideration from the general public, especially the readers of this site.

2. royal72 says:

does it really matter? does anyone believe the bullshit that comes out the mouth of politicians on any side?

3. wolffenstein says:

I don’t think politicians will care about consumer rights. Although it is a popular topic right now, I have yet to see any politician express interest in improving our rights. Please, please correct me if I’m wrong.

I certainly care about consumer rights. I’m a consumer every day in my life; it’s something I can’t avoid. I do care about politicians being involved in consumer rights legislation, but it is mostly out of concern more of our rights will be taken away.

A stance on improving consumer rights is important, but I also have other concerns and issues. Voting for a politician over one issue is never a good idea, and sadly, I haven’t found a politician that supports at least half of my ideals. Looks like I won’t be voting in this election either.

4. etinterrapax says:

I’m not really feeling the love for politicians of any party right now. I’ve long since lost hope that they’ll really do any concrete good for their constituents. I still vote so I can complain with a clear conscience, but they all disappoint me, and it usually takes longer than it’s taken this season.

5. Coronagold says:

Since when does any of this matter long after the reign of Eminent Domain reared its bold ugly head once again?

6. nslade says:

The politicians that have the greatest effect on consumers and consumer laws are the State AG’s. A really good one can do a lot. Elliot Spitzer being perhaps the best recent example, had have of WallStreet quaking in their wingtips. AGs have some serious clout and legal tools that not even well healled law firms or big corporations can stand up to, but unfortunately too many are hacks.

7. Bob says:

It doesn’t really matter. Even if politicians passed all kinds of consumer protection laws, big retailers would still find some way to screw us over.

8. SpecialEd says:

The best consumer protection of all would be to overhaul entitlement programs, slash the budget and taxes, and take steps to reduce the national deficit and debt. But, politicians don’t want to deal with the real issues. They like to get people worked up with phony, bullshit “issues” like flag burning, gay marriage, etc. These are only distractions disguised as issues that essentially mean nothing to a nation that is drowning in debt.

9. –> “Terrists”. LOLOL, exactly what Bush calls ‘em!

Corporatism is an integral part of fascism, and I’m sick to death of its rampage through this country. I would love to cast a vote that would help stamp it out, but I don’t see one on the platter of ’08’s suggested offerings yet.

10. silverlining says:

@nslade: Ditto on state AGs. In Minnesota, our AG’s office has been an unfailing advocate for consumer rights. They are AWESOME.

I think part of it is that it’s tough to advocate some issues that really affect consumers. Take the telecom bill or bankruptcy bills that recently went through Congress. It’s enough to focus on one section of each of them, let alone the whole thing. And if constituents don’t understand the value of the policymaker’s efforts, then (1) constituents don’t understand what the policymaker is doing with their time, and (2) the policymaker is pissing off the business lobbies without the benefit of any political cover offered by the approval of their voters, if that makes sense.

Actually, I wish consumer issues were more front and center in advocacy around choosing Supreme Court judges, who have tended to be very centered around protecting the rights of businesses over consumers OR workers.