Dell Upgrades Computer By Installing Vastly Inferior Processor

Over at TGForumz, rdguerrero writes that Dell replaced his computer’s x6800 processor with an extreme edition 955. That sounds about 7.12 times worse.

My dell computer has been giving trouble form the day i got it. finally they replaced the motherboard and processor however instead of replacing my x6800 they gave me a pentium extreme edition 955. the guy from Dell says this is an upgrade i think he id trying to pass off something on me which chip is better.

His hunch is right. One comparison declares, “Even the X6800 Core 2 Extreme which is clocked at just 2.93GHz is able to kill the 955 Extreme Edition processor pretty much all of the time.” Rdguerrero, taking the sage of advice of forum members calling bs, had a nice little chat with Dell.

The service rep has informed me that he has started the Exchange process and i will be informed by e-mail of updates, but should take approximately 19 labor days for the system to arrive.

19 days? Oh, Dell. Is there anything you can’t bumble? — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

x6800 vs pentium extreme edition 955 [TGForumz] (Thanks to Andrew!)

Comments

1. batasrki says:

Oh, so lovely. Put in a worse processor, say it’s better cause specs say so and expect the customer to bend over and take it. Also, 19 labor days? WTF are they doing? Collecting sand to make the silicon that will be used in the construction of the new x6800 chip?

2. Scazza says:

I got to ask. The X6800 is easily TOP OF THE LINE right now with few chips as good or better. Buying such a system costs alot (from dell) so clearly the guy must have knew he was getting the best of the best processor already. So why did he originally believe that there would be an upgrade in the first place?

3. Starfury says:

Dude..you bought a Dell.

4. robrob says:

his stuff was broken and he sent it in for REPLACEMENT not the “upgrade”.

5. Scazza says:

Ya, but what I got out of it was that he talked to someone who told him it was an upgrade, did he not argue, like I said before, he seems to know his processors, did he not know or what? Either way, Dell fucked him over royally…

6. crayonshinobi says:

@Starfury: Dude, you’re getting ripped off!

And I agree, 19 labor days, WTF?!

I don’t know how savvy rdguerrero is with computers, but Dell should be able to overnight a new motherboard to him, and he can install it himself…in 19 labor minutes.

7. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Did you read the source thread? The guy was having problems, called Dell support, they sent him a new motherboard, didn’t work, then they sent him another motherboard with the 955EE CPU. So it seems like Dell sent him the downgraded motherboard/CPU without asking him first.

8. LatherRinseRepeat says:

@Scazza:

Dell sent him the 955EE CPU/motherboard without asking him first. When he called Dell and asked why they didn’t send him a replacement, the Dell rep tried to tell him it was an upgrade.

9. DutchFlat says:

People who are STUPID enough to buy a Dell computer deserve the worst. The punishment for stupidity is death.
    I have an Apple iMac. I bought it used. It was under warranty. I had a problem with the DVD drive. The disks would not come out. I took it to the Apple Store. They fixed it. on-the-spot. Five minutes. No charge. Anyone who will settle for less than that is an idiot.
    The reason it wasn’t working? Some non-Apple tech had installed a bracket upside-down.
    So, okay, all the PC in-denial freaks can now comment about how great their Dells and Gateways are. Dream on.

10. SpecialEd says:

Makes you wonder how many times Dell screws people with an “upgrade” and gets away with it. The rep at Dell is either ignorant (not likely) or a lying thief. He should be fired either way.

11. AcidReign says:

…..I stand in awe of anyone who can change a laptop motherboard in 19 minutes! Especially a Dell! I can’t even get all of the screws out of my Acer to get inside in 19 minutes.

…..I don’t don’t about our new Thinkpad. I’m not opening it till the warranty period is over. It actually came with instruction books on opening it up and upgrading! How often do you get that in this day and age? On the other hand, the Thinkpad came with lots of crapware. Two pages of start apps on msconfig… Prune, prune, prune.

12. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Oops. Double-post. :-(

Anyways, ThinkPads are awesome, even if Lenovo runs the show now. I had a problem with my T30. I just dropped it off at a local authorized service center. They sent it off to some IBM national repair center in the US. Had it back in my hands in about 6 calender days. The repair order said bad motherboard. So they replaced it, and even flashed the BIOS with a current one.

If you’re willing to spend the extra money, buy desktops and laptops aimed at corporate users. The hardware is usually better and so is the support.

13. I can change the mobo in any of the optiplexes I have in about 10 minutes. That’s starting at teardown, and ending when I boot up the new mobo. Dell’s clamshell cases are very easy to work in. That being said, Dell has obviously dropped the ball big time on this one. Time to escalate.

14. MarvinMar says:

19 labor days
    Is that like 19 Christmases, or 19 Easters?
    Man thats a long time for a repair.

15. frugger says:

Similar thing happend with a new HP laptop I bought. Bios wouldn’t post one day and had to send it in after only 3 months. When I sent it in it had an Nvidia video chipset that I paid extra for. When it came back it had an Intel video chipset. Try explaining that to a CSR in India.

18 phone calls over two days and I finally ended up with a tech support guy in NY who could look up the repair order and see that the HP service center had installed the wrong motherboard. So its now back out to HP for repair again. I think when it comes back I’m going to put it on eBay and buy a MacBook.