Cingular Spends 1.8 Million Dollars A Day Upgrading The LA Area. Just The LA Area.

It’s no wonder Cingular has to drop their less profitable customers, they’re spending money like a Halliburton employee in a war zone…just to upgrade their LA network. From their Press Release:

“The past two years were unprecedented — investing almost $1.3 billion to deliver a quality wireless experience to our customers here,” said Andy Shibley, vice president and general manager for the company’s Greater LA market. “Our wireless network is world class and second to none. The major expansion we completed was an extraordinary achievement that enables us to provide exceptional service for our customers today and into the future.”

According to the press release they’ve concentrated their efforts, in part, on Pismo Beach, which we remember from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Now Bugs can talk on his cell phone if he forgets to take a left at Albuquerque. —MEGHANN MARCO

AT&T’S Wireless Unit Completes Two-Year $1.3 Billion Investment to Expand and Enhance Los Angeles Area Network (Press Release) [Cingular]
(Photo: Hey Paul)

Comments

1. John Stracke says:

They probably counted the cost of the spectrum licenses for 3G.

2. Tango says:

You mean Pismo Beach, near San Luis Obispo, 200 miles north of LA? I know LA is big, but not that big.

Not that I’m complaining about the work; our cell reception is not so great up here once we get off the highway. Also, 3G would be a welcome upgrade.

3. That’s also because the SoCal/Southern Nevada is covered by a roaming agreement with T-Mobile (we can roam on the T-Mobile towers, I believe it is the only place in the country). The agreement is coming to an end and Cingular/Att would rather have its customers on its mediocre network than roaming on a decent T-Mobile network.

4. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I signed up back when they were Pacific Bell Mobile Services. I can tell you, GSM service in LA is so much better now than it was back in mid-90’s.

But then again, with so many people driving and talking at the same time, I’m not so sure this is a good thing. ;-)

5. Pismo Beach was in Clueless too!

6. Yoni K says:

brief reference to Pismo in The Big Lebowski (Donny’s eulogy).

(i think i’ve watched that movie too many times)

7. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

If they spent so much upgrading…shouldn’t I be able to get a signal in my house? I step out the door or go to the mailbox and I got signal go back inside..nada.

8. Legodude522 says:

I for one have no problems with Cingular. You might even say I’m a loyal customer. Verizon is about $10 more expensive a month and I have about 2,000 roll over minute at the moment. I use my phone mainly at night too so those are free.