Bank of America Is Now The "Bank of Opportunity"

Bank of America has changed their slogan from “Higher Standards” to “Bank of Opportunity.” They’ll be announcing the change during ABC’s presentation of the Oscars this weekend. From Fox Carolina:

New television commercials incorporate the bank’s “flagscape” symbol with images of customers getting new homes and envisioning future careers. Additional spots will highlight home equity and savings products.

The marketing move comes on the heels of controversy about the Bank’s new credit card policy, which allows major credit cards to be obtained without a social security number.

Bank of America’s CEO says:”We believe we have an obligation to serve all those in our country who are legally eligible to receive services. To do less would be discriminatory and unfair.” You can read about the grief he’s getting over at Fox News, naturally. —MEGHANN MARCO

BofA changes marketing efforts, to be “Bank of Opportunity” [Fox Carolina]
Bank of America Won’t Cancel Controversial Credit Card Program [FOX News]
(Photo:Omar Omar)

Comments

1. John Stracke says:

Bank of America’s CEO says:”We believe we have an obligation to

…suck every last penny out of your pocket. To us, every American who still has money to give us represents an Opportunity.

2. mariser says:

that’s the first thing I thought, that Faux News will be screaming to high heavens about ‘terrorists getting CC thanks to BoA’
    but whatevs. it does crack me up for BoA to say they “have an obligation to serve all…” bull*cough*shit. they are trying to be the first to jump into a mew market. watch other banking institutions follow in quick sucession.

3. mariser says:

“mew market” ? some shopping opportunity for felines?

meant “new market” o/c. sorry

4. mathew says:

Damn right you should be able to get credit cards without giving an SSN. Legally you only need to give a bank your SSN if you get interest from an account, not if you pay *them* interest.

5. royal72 says:

“bank of opportunity.”

that’s a freudian slip if i ever heard one!

6. greggt says:

bank of opportunity? that’s funny, they have given my wife no opportunity to get off some account she was mistakenly added to b/c the guy’s xwife had the same maiden name. of course, the guy is currently serving in iraq so without the his primary account holding consent, she cannot stop getting his bank statements! thank you bofa! my sister works for bofa but she cant even do anything since it’s the military division.

7. Hoss says:

Petco will be a bit more crowded with all those cats and a shiny new BOA card.

Geez, how do you give out cards without an identity check?

8. MeOhMy says:

Bank of Opportunism is what they really meant to use.

9. deadgoon says:

Okay, so B of A charges me $3 a month for not keeping a minimum balance in my savings account. This charge totally negates any interest earnings from the fabulous 0.5% interest rate they give me. NO THANKS! I canceled my account and put my money somewhere else (Emigrant Direct Online Savings). As is with all businesses of its size, B of A is only concerned with how much money they can pump from their victims… I mean customers.

10. Angiol says:

“bank of opportunity.”

So they’re going to be taking a chunk out of every payment that goes near them? (D&D joke)

11. SexCpotatoes says:

Bank of…

op·pro·bri·um
    -noun
    1. the disgrace or the reproach incurred by conduct considered outrageously shameful; infamy.
    2. a cause or object of such disgrace or reproach.

12. XopherMV says:

Just wait until the lawsuits come. At some point, someone will ask why the Mexicans don’t have to show seven forms of ID, yet everyone else does.

You can’t treat one group of customers better than another group of customers because of race or nationality.

13. yalej says:

Why do people give BoA such a hard time? I just use them as clearing house for my salary, which gets direct deposited into a basic free checking account. From there I fund other interest bearing accounts, as well as brokerages. I go inside the bank MAYBE once a year. I don’t see why you’d use them for anything else.

14. “We believe we have an obligation to serve all those in our country who are legally eligible to receive services”

Translation:
    We are looking for every opportunity we can find to charge high interest rates to people who can’t get a credit card through anyone except us. We don’t care if they’re here illegally (as long as we have plausible deniability), we don’t care what it does to society, we just want to get us some more MONEY.

15. BotchedJoke says:

Well, the illegals who come here and do the jobs “Americans won’t do” need crdit too! So do the Latino gangbangers who come here and commit the crimes Americanos won’t commit. I truly hope the CEO of Bof A becomes a crime victim of an illegal, that would only be the beginning of justice….

16. Bourque77 says:

They are not targetting illegals or people from Mexico, the CEO said they werent. Even though the no ssn application is only written in english and spanish (not french or any other language) and you can get flyer points for signing up (only for air mexicana). But really they arent targetting illegals, honest they arent.

17. Elvisisdead says:

Look at it this way. They target illegals. The illegal gets deported. Result? An account with a balance that BofA can leverage to fund a mortgage for someone with an SSN.