Pepsi Labels Will Include Caffeine Content

The Center for Science in the Public Interest has announced that Pepsi is changing their labels to reflect the caffeine content in their products:

“Every company that adds caffeine to food should tell consumers how much they’re getting, so consumers can comparison shop and make their decisions accordingly,” said CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson. “Pepsi deserves credit for voluntarily putting caffeine contents on labels. I don’t know why Coke and coffee companies are so jittery about letting their customers know how much they’re getting.”

Regular Pepsi contains 25 milligrams of caffeine per 8 oz, Diet Pepsi 24. “Pepsi One and Mountain Dew have more with 36 mg per 8 ounces. Brewed coffee varies, but a 16-ounce cup at Starbucks has around 260 mg, though the company doesn’t make that number easy to find.” Mmm, caffeine. Starbucks is sort of confusing. We’re not sure why they’d neglect to mention/hide how much caffeine is in coffee… isn’t it a selling point?—MEGHANN MARCO

Consumer Group Praises Pepsi’s Disclosure of Caffeine Content [CSPI]

Comments

1. BillyShears says:

Here’s my scale:
    + A can of soda: Are you kidding me? Maybe for a small child.

+ A 12-16oz. cup of black coffee: Depends. Starbucks has more caffeine, but it tastes like burnt rubber whereas Peet’s has less but tastes better. But either is enough to pull-start my morning like dad’s old lawnmower.

In other words, I don’t really care how many milligrams are in what I’m drinking, and quite frankly I can’t imagine who would unless they’re some poor soul who’s allergic to the stuff. (But then they shouldn’t be drinking it anyway.)

2. I don’t know why Coke and coffee companies are so jittery about letting their customers know how much they’re getting.

From the Michael Scott school of joke-making.

3. bluegus32 says:

@BillyShears: and your point is what? That companies shouldn’t be required to disclose this?

Personally, I’m glad for the information. Give consumers enough information to make a responsible decision.

Me? I had no idea that Pepsi had so ittle caffeine. I guess I won’t be using it to wake up in the afternoon any more.

4. 44 in a Row says:

I know we’ve been deriding it all week on the weight-loss thing, but one thing Enviga has going for it is that there’s apparently a ton of caffeine in it. 100mg, according to the internet, which is more than Red Bull but without the taurine, guarana, or other “supplements” that generally come along with energy drinks.

5. Kornkob says:

@BillyShears: I can’t imagine who would unless they’re some poor soul who’s allergic to the stuff”

Except your scale is borked because you assume that black coffee is the top of the scale when the some of the ‘energy drinks’ that have cropped up lately far exceed that of coffee ounce to ounce.

Check this: http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database/

6. bloodr says:

I think listing the caffeine content is a selling point. For now on I plan on making it a point on only buying soft drinks that list the caffeine content so I can make sure I get the maximum amount of my drug of choice. Plus I had no idea that Pepsi One had the same amount as Mt Dew. I am now a Pepsi One fan.

7. katana. says:

I saw a news story just the other day about how successful energy drinks have become. The featured a drink called ‘Cocaine’. They said the caffeine content was around 8x that of Coca-Cola. Double that of coffee.

I think it would be nice for companies to disclose the amount of caffeine in the drinks as Pepsi is apparently doing.

8. Kornkob says:

Pepsi = 3 ml per ounce
    Coffee, Drip = 18 ml per ounce
    Starbucks Regular Coffee = 23 ml per ounce
    Cocaine Energy Drink = 33 ml per ounce

(And for you ‘I only drink decaf’ folks— decaf has caffine too– it just has very small amounts)

9. pete says:

That rocks. I did a science fair project in high school on this, separating ingredients to get down to caffeine. I ate bark and walked 10 miles to school in the snow with no shoes, too.

What scares me is that now that the caffeine is quantified, I know I’m getting more than 37.5mg of phosphoric acid in every can – whatever that means. Hmm wikipedia says it’s used for rust removal…

10. Major props to Pepsi for using the word “jittery” in a press release about caffeine content.

11. AnnC says:

Pepsi Labels Will Include Caffeine Content.

I don’t get it. Why don’t they put caffeine in the drink instead of the label? Who eats labels these days?

12. I didn’t realize coffee had 5x the caffeine content of soft drinks.

All this time I’ve been using can of soda/cup of coffee interchangeably, depending on what temperature drink I was in the mood for.

13. And0 says:

I would guess that Starbucks doesn’t list the caffeine content of their drip coffee because it’s not an additive. People who drink coffee have an idea of what to expect from a cup (or three). However, sodas and energy drinks can vary greatly.

In short, the caffeine content of coffee is semi-standardized, but other drinks are not.

14. katana. says:

@amishshah.com:

its like one of those Total cereal commercials…

… you’d need 5 cans of Coke to equal the amount of caffeine you get from just one cup of coffee… Clang, Clang, Clang, Clang, Clang, Clang!

15. MeOhMy says:

Once you kick the habit, the effect becomes more pronounced. These days even a single cup of tea too late in the evening will have me tossing and turning. I would be very interested in having this readily available for just about any caffeinated drink.

16. derherzeleid says:

As a starbucks employee, we tell anyone who asks what has the most caffeine in it, which is a cup of black coffee. This is followed by the frappachino’s and then the espresso drinks etc. There’s approx 90mg of caffeine in an espresso shot. The reason why Starbucks doesn’t have this information posted? venti cup of coffee $1.80, tall latte, 2.05 and so on and so forth. For the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, you’d be spending 5+ dollars on your drink adding shots.

17. Hawkins says:

I like this a lot. An informed consumer is an empowered consumer.

If I had to choose between regulating what ingredients the food companies used, versus regulating disclosure on the label… I’d choose the information any day.

Disclosure is a serious issue. Companies like Monsanto have successfully sued milk producers to keep the words “No Bovine Growth Hormone” off the labels of milk from farmers who don’t pump their cows full of synthetic hormones.

Good for you? Not good for you? Sort of bad for you, but tasty? As the consumer, I should be the Decider. More information lets me make better decisions.

So this is good, and should be applauded.

18. TechnoDestructo says:

I look forward to a renewed soft drink caffeine arms race.

19. gyutrust says:

Now I’d like to see companies like Starbucks & Red Bull follow suit with proper labeling. The right to make informed choices is a must.

Did you know that in March is Caffeine Awareness Month? You can test your caffeine saavy at this website at http://www.CaffeineAwareness.org.

If you want to know more about the dangers of caffeine, check out this video. Warning, this video contains some disturbing scenes.

20. SexCpotatoes says:

They should release a product with so much caffeine in it that it kills you, super-long disclaimer on the can though to absolve the company of any responsibility.

Or, the old Transmetropolitan favorite, Ebola Cola, the drink that eats you!

21. GenXCub says:

Just so everyone doesn’t have to go look it up, the lowest lethal dose of caffeine is 3000 mg (if you inject it). ingesting caffeine usually sees lethal doses in the 5000 mg range.

22. Kat says:

Coke must be rushing out press releases – my local news at noon just reported that Coke will be adding their caffeine info to labels and that they will be the FIRST to do so.

23. AcidReign says:

…..Oh boy. Yet another label change to keep track of at work. I hope it’s a “soft” conversion!

…..Seriously, though, it’s a good idea. Notice that they didn’t mention Mt. Dew or MDX. Those have more…

24. Zabella says:

“I don’t really care how many milligrams are in what I’m drinking, and quite frankly I can’t imagine who would unless they’re some poor soul who’s allergic to the stuff.”

I find that keeping my caffine intake below 100mg per day helps me sleep properly and i dont get the jitters, anxiety, night sweats or interactions with my heart medication. A lot of people might not even know that these things can be caused by exessive caffine consumption, even early in the day. I would love to give it up, but I love my coffee in the morning, and my diet Coke at lunch… much better than I used to be, evertone has a vice… OK maybe I have more than one :-)