Clean Your House Like A Professional

A member of Curbly used to be a professional house-cleaner and you can benefit from her knowledge of advanced cleaning technique:

The mantra of the company I worked for was top to bottom, left to right. This way you could easily walk into any room and know exactly where to get started. The work was divided into”wet rooms” (bathrooms and kitchens) and “dry rooms” (living room, dining room, bedrooms). If we were lucky and weren’t understaffed, we’d go out with a partner and one person would do the “wet rooms” and the other person would do the “dry rooms”. One “wet room” and one “dry room” would be “deep cleaned” each cleaning.

She goes on to suggest cleaning strategies for both wet and dry rooms, as well as listing supplies you’ll need to make your pad sparkle.
It’s a really great post for people who feel overwhelmed when its time to start cleaning. We sometimes end up standing in the middle of the room wondering what the heck to do next. —MEGHANN MARCO

Clean Like A Maid [Curbly]
(Photo: Spirit635)

Comments

1. formergr says:

Cool, that’s pretty much how I organize my cleaning.

The only other tip I’d add for anyone who needs to clean a bathroom used by someone who has longer hair and/or sheds a lot is to either swiffer (or better yet vaccuum with one of those small brush attachments) the bathroom counter, the toilet back, and the bathtub ledges first before doing any wet cleaning.

It’s my biggest pet peeve while cleaning a bathroom that the long hairs just stick to tile once they are wet, and are a bitch to actually get rid of. The vacuuming or swiffering of them first helps a lot.

Oh, and I was a skeptic until I tried one recently that the swiffer (or generic brand) poofy duster things work better than the flat cloths they first came out with. Huge difference!! Haven’t been this excited about a cleaning product since I first tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser!

2. ElizabethD says:

Nice. But: she cleans her entire house in 45 minutes?!? I’d like to see that on YouTube! Must look like a tornado.

Once hubby and I got to a certain point in our careers, we hired a pro to clean the house every other week. We and the kids do the in-between spot cleanups. I have never regretted spending that money. OTOH, I could never clean a house in 45 minutes. It takes our housecleaner about 3.5 hours to do a 3-story house w/ 4 beds, 2.5 baths.

3. bluegus32 says:

Wonderful tips, but here’s my favorite part, “I can clean my entire 1200 square foot house in about 45 minutes this way.”

Look more closely.

1,200 square foot.

The last apartment I was in was that size.

And it took me roughly 45 minutes to clean it. What happens when you have a family of five living in a larger two-story home?

4. Myron says:

These seem like good tips. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive guide to cleaning? I don’t clean often and when I do, I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing.

5. Dustbunny says:

@Myron:

Check out http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/channel/clean

Everything you ever wanted to know about cleaning!

6. SimonGodOfHairdos says:

Ah, formergr, we share the same pet peeve. I HATE it when hair gets wet and stuck to the tiles, it is impossible to then lift off! I go as far as always opening the window when I shower so that the bathroom doesn’t get all steamy, because when it does and you then blow dry your hair, you get hairs plastered to the wet ceiling and all the way up the wet wall. I can’t tell you how annoying it is to try and Swiffer hair off a ceiling. It may be a bit breezy to shower with the window open, but at least all the hair falls to and remains on the floor, making cleaning day MUCH easier.

7. @bluegus32: “What happens when you have a family of five living in a larger two-story home?”

Grow teenagers. Make them do it. ;)

8. bluegus32 says:

@Eyebrows McGee: Great advice. Except my 4 year old does more house-cleaning than my 12 year old. How do you get teenagers to do work?

9. @bluegus32: Give them drugs.

10. clbarrientos says:

you can always clean up after yourself.

11. etinterrapax says:

I imagine it only takes 45 minutes if you do it every day. It’s always faster to clean a place that’s basically clean. My house is the same size, give or take, and I spend more time than that to just clean the parts of the house where there’s a chance the baby might eat something he isn’t supposed to. The bedrooms upstairs usually get neglected until my husband is here to watch the baby.

I’m really liking the Swiffer vac. For an incredibly cheap vacuum, it picks up hairs, dust, crumbs, pieces of cereal, and all of the usual debris that gathers on wood floors. And it’s cordless. Definitely worth the thirty bucks. After using it, I can mop without getting those lines of wet dust everywhere. We have hardwood in the kitchen, so I’m always after the floors.

12. FLConsumer says:

Who has 45 minutes A DAY to do nothing but cleaning? I’m all for trying to keep things neat & clean and doing a deep clean weekly.

13. AcidReign says:

…..Getting teenagers to clean is easy. Lock ‘em out of the internet router till it’s done and inspected. No computer, no X-box live, no Wii. And make sure you don’t use a router password that’s subject to dictionary hacks. I don’t even have to actually turn them off, these days. Just the threat is enough. And if you’re consistent with this, they’ll learn to do their chores on their own eventually.