Best Buy to Open 90 New Stores In The US

Stock of companies making ugly-ass blue polo shirts should be trending upward on Best Buy’s announcement that they will open 130 new stores worldwide, 90 of them in the US. From MarketWatch:

“Our focus is on reaching new customers in new markets or new ways,” Chief Executive Brad Anderson said in the press release. “We are very encouraged by the number of growth opportunities in front of us.”

Best Buy estimates the new stores will created 12,000 retail jobs. For those of you who don’t live near a Best Buy and have only used Best Buy.com, the prices in the stores are sometimes different. —MEGHANN MARCO

Best Buy slates 130 new-store openings worldwide [MarketWatch]
(Photo: cmorran123)

Comments

1. Coder4Life says:

yeahhh, now everyone gets taken advantage off, by the devil…

2. Jess A. says:

Apparently, it’s easier to focus on reaching new customers than to work to keep your current customer base. My husband & I have been pretty loyal Best Buy customers for quite some time, and we’ve noticed a general downward trend in quality of service. Whenever we give Best Buy feedback about that drop in service quality, their response tends to be less than encouraging.

3. Emrikol says:

I hope I get one near me (never been to one) so I can be mean and buy all of the loss leaders!

4. bastarre says:

I’ve been a loyal Best Buy customer for years and have always been treated really well and fairly impressed with their service overall–I love the reward zone program and have racked up over $450 in free stuff but I don’t like the fact that they can show me every product I’ve EVER purchased from them. In the past year however, I have seen a general decline in selection of the merchandise, attitude of the workers, and prices. Maybe I’ve been spoiled, but the Fayetteville, NC store was amazing–every one that I have been to since has basically left me disappointed–I’m stuck with the lame Destin, FL store now.

5. mfergel says:

I remember shopping at Best Buy when it first started out. Fantastic deals, decent service, etc. Man, it’s been a long downward spiral. My guess is these new stores take advantage of the ones Circuit City is closing.

6. bluegus32 says:

@mfergel: You’ve got to admit that Best Buy is definitely a step up from Circuit City. Can’t wait for Circuit City to go bankrupt just like the Good Guys did a few years ago. What a crappy store.

7. Well, I guess it will give 90 more communities the opportunity to copycat Improv Everywhere.

Mission: Best Buy

8. thunderstruck says:

Oooooo! I can’t wait to go to my new local best buy and ask one of the smurf clones some inane question, and watch their lil’ bobble-heads shrink! So, how many tiny mirrors are there in a 50″ dlp tv set, hmmm?

“Friends don’t let friends buy at best buy.”

9. kerry says:

@bluegus32:
    Around here Circuit City was generally a step (or two) up from Best Buy. They would honor bestbuy.com prices, while Best Buy wouldn’t. Their stores were always cleaner and the in-store pickup worked beautifully every time I used it. I miss those stores, all we have is Best Buy now.

10. formergr says:

A couple of weeks ago I went to Radio Shack to buy a firewire cable to connect my camcorder to my new laptop. The Shack was sold out, so I grudgingly went to Best Buy. The cheapest cable they were selling was $35. Though I’ve never had to buy a firewire cable before,I had a feeling that was way overpriced and I could probably get a better deal at New Egg (I was thinking something in the $15 range). I didn’t want to wait to start my editing though, so I just bought it knowing I could always return it after checking online.

I got home and checked NewEgg– price for a firewire cable? $4. Holy markup, Batman!

11. mfergel says:

@bluegus32:

Yeah, I’d agree (but don’t let my friend that works at corporate hear me say that). I miss what Best Buy used to be. Even more so, I miss Media Play. All I know is these organizations better get their act together or one day, the internet is going to put them out of business in much the same way Tiger Direct did (online only).

12. 44 in a Row says:

You think that’s bad, you should check out price differences on HDMI cables (not that that hasn’t been covered around here ad nauseam).

13. hop says:

BEST BUY SUCKETH………half the crap they have on sale is a rebate item……

14. medalian1 says:

Ugh why would anyone shop at best buy except for emergency gifts or something.

15. WisingUp says:

Why would any Consumerist reader ever even consider opening their wallet inside Best Buy? An overwhelming need for IG (Immediate Gratifcation) is a poor, costly excuse.

I recently followed Consumerist advice from the 1/30/07 entry “10 Shopping Tricks that Stores Hate”: Shop in the Store But Buy Online. I spent over an hour at BB perusing the LCD HDTVs; I even turned them around to check out the connections available, ignoring the blueshirts all the while. I settled upon the Sony KDL40V2500, wrote down the model number and went home.

After some extensive Googling I stumbled upon cheaperthanbestbuy.com where I got the set I wanted for 415 bucks less than BB, plus had it shipped for free and paid no tax! Thanks to The Consumerist for commonsense advice — and thanks to Best Buy for the free showroom use!

16. deltasleep says:

Working at Best Buy was easily the worst experience of my life. I shudder to think about the addition of 10,000 some odd additional “opportunities” this will provide.
    I remember one day, management came in and said that from that day forward, if they opened a cash register and found that any of the bills were facing the wrong way, whoever last logged into the register was fired. That week they fired an inventory manager with 3 kids who had worked for years and years for the company.