Round 4: Exxon vs Time Warner Cable

Gawker Media polls require Javascript; if you’re viewing this in an RSS reader, click through to view in your Javascript-enabled web browser.

Two titans.

One misses appointments, has ghetto customer service, and causes frustration among its customers. The other charts record profits in the midst of an oil shortage, crashes ships, and smells bad.

Fight!

TIME WARNER CABLE posts.
EXXON posts.

Previously: Comcast vs Sony, Best Buy vs Uhaul, RIAA vs United Airlines.

Comments

1. healthdog says:

Time Warner smells better just for sitting next to Comcast. You lose, Exxon!

2. dale3h says:

3. Falconfire says:

True, but the other thing would be people should be prying into WHY a company with a sever shortage of a product (by their claim) would be reporting a windfall profit when logic dictates that they should break even or even post a loss in comparison to quarters when they had more product to sell.

The obvious answer is they are not telling you everthing. The question is, is what they are not telling you legal (since its obviously not ethical but ethics and profits dont equate.)

The you have to ask yourself, are you willing to engage in profiting from obvious shady activity.

4. cnordholm says:

I know this is about the consumer, but let’s not forget about Exxon’s 2006 profit (not revenues) of $39.5b, a significant portion of which should probably have been saved at the gas pump or on our income taxes (government subsidies). Exxon all the way…

5. cnordholm says:

Ok, I was behind the curb, but 40 BILLION!

6. kenposan says:

I had to Exxon as the most evil. Not just because they are big oil but because I have never really had a problem with TWC.

7. esqdork says:

When TWC screws up, wildlife does not die. TWC also does not contribute directly to global warming.

8. bluegus32 says:

dale3h said: “My tip: people need to stop crying about Exxon recording record profits and invest in them.”

I disagree. Our illustrious President over a year ago said that he would “look into” whether there has been any corruption on the part of the oil companies. Congress, while fighting its oh-so-noble fight against steroids in baseball, then took time some time to hold hearings on the matter. The oil company execs were called to Congress to testify, and in a truly bold move, were not required to be sworn in under oath.

We then got an official announcement from the oil companies, our President and the U.S. Congress that there had been no price gouging or other untoward behavior on the part of the oil companies.

Then Exxon posted record profits during an oil “shortage.”

People need to be screaming much louder than they are. Not only is this evidence of our being lied to, the surrounding circumstances simply confirm that George Bush the Great, and all relevant members of Congress have been bought by the oil companies.

As a people, we should not tolerate it and we most certainly should not be jumping on the band-wagon and profiting from it ourselves.

9. bluegus32 says:

Then Exxon posted record profits during an oil “shortage.”

10. bluegus32 says:

Oh jeez. Sorry for the double post. New site design. Same old commenting issues.

11. radiofree says:

I’m a TW Cable Co. customer (by which I mean I pay them money every month and occassionally they provide me with the services they promise). I’ve had lots of problems with them, including missed or randomly rescheduled appointments. Sometimes the cable gets too pixellated. Sometimes my internet speed is well below the speed they advertise. The usual.

Our local government (NYC) has some of the strictest franchise language in cable policy. Nevertheless, TWC faces little competition, does little to develop customer relations (as they have no incentive to), and basically raises rates with no public commission stopping them.

On the other hand, Exxon’s profits are protected by a wide variety of national policies that are law in this country. And let’s be honest: I don’t think anyone here is complaining that Exxon is making money. However, $40 Billion-with-a-b net is just wrong.

And it’s not wrong because I say it is or because it’s obscene. It’s wrong from a public policy stand point. How many small businesses lost money on their substantial investments because of the costs of energy?

Why do we have one company that sucks up that kind of cash while others struggle?

Is this the policy we want? If it is, so be it. We have it. If it’s not, we should ask ourselves why we have it.

I vote for Exxon here. Of these two companies, they are the most vile.

12. brilliantmistake says:

Exxon’s also been the most active of all the oil companies in denying global climate change, attacking both the science and scientists that work on it. They’ve sponsored a lot of disinformational campaigns.

13. brilliantmistake says:

Just thought I’d back up my previous statement. The Union of Concerned Scientists recently covered this issue.

14. orig_club_soda says:

Why are people voting Exxon as most vile? They probably dont realize that Exxon’s profit margin is less than the sales tax their state and local gov charge (Not to mention the other “sin” taxes on gas, or the extra refinery cost us Californians have to pay). All Exxon is guilty of is having a product that is in high demand.

15. Vilgrom says:

Time Warner Cable dominates this area. There’s just no other choice for cable service. There are regular(but unpredictable) bouts in which the audio cuts off and the picture skips.

On the other hand, Exxon is just evil. They deserve my vote.

16. jamier says:

orig_club_soda: By that logic, essentially any product sold in a state with sales tax is immune from accountability. Cigarettes are the highest taxed products of all, does that make tobacco companies the least evil?

ExxonMobil is a company that profits off killing people and the natural world. Yes, most Americans are complicit, but ExxonMobil is the leader in lying about their product, lying about their need to gouge customers, and being careless with the safety of their product.

17. bluegus32 says:

orig_club_soda, your comment is a good example of “deflection.” You are essentially saying, “let’s ignore every evil thing that Exxon does because there is other evil afoot (government).”

It’s apples and oranges, so to speak. Exxon is evil on its own merit, regardless of what our government does to contribute to our pain.

18. Hell's Donut House says:

The Exxon Valdez crash alone put them on my shit list for life.

19. Yossarian says:

And really, who wouldn’t vote for the cute baby sea animals covered in slimy oil photo?

20. stubby says:

Exxon put its own profits ahead of an existential threat to the Earth itself by funding junk science to create confusion in global warming science. You can’t get much worse than that.

21. angryconsumer says:

Tough. A relative of mine works for Exxon and I have heard that they have cut his leave by about half. But Time Warner is guilty of a lot. Pixelation in bedroom sets that receive a cable line from Time Warner. Internet upload speeds are off by about 30-40 kbps lower than average. And then the really bad SA set-top boxes to boot. I’ll vote TW on this round. And at least Comcast is not in my area. TW is like Comcast here where I live. They are the only game in town.

22. Jigen says:

I have problems with Time Warner all the time. My internet connection dies many times a day. I’m constantly having to go downstairs and reset the modem, which is the 3rd or 4th one Time Warner has replaced now.
    A guy I work with has had Time Warner “Fix” his modem once a month for the past half year, yet his connection won’t stay on for more than an hour at a time.
    If its not enough of a nuisance, it really kills me when I’m trying to use Xbox Live. Far too common that I start lagging out like crazy and others start yelling at me for cheating. My rep is hurting due to people thinking im glitching the system to gain an unfair upper hand.

23. bennyb says:

This best explains it:

Bush’s Speech

24. dotyoureyes says:

$40 billion in profits earned by screwing the consumer and America’s economy, and how much of it has been invested in alternative energy sources that won’t kill the planet? Zero.

Exxon wins this in a runaway.

Our only hope is that the oil fields dry up early and the jokers who run this company get sent to prison.

25. bastarre says:

Funny that 40 billion profit…I recently read that Exxon still owes over 4 billion in settlement for the Valdez, Alaska debacle.