6 Steps To Credit Card Serenity

If you’re like a lot of people, your credit cards are a source of anxiety. It doesn’t have to be so. Bankrate has 6 steps to credit card serenity that, if followed, will help you feel less like yourself and more like an attractive person on a beach.

Step 1) Make a List of What You Owe. We’ve heard that knowing is half the battle.

Step 2) Pay your highest rate cards first.

Step 3) Get A Better Deal.

Step 4) Consider Using a Different Card.

Step 5) Beef up your credit score.

Step 6) Avoid penalties and fees.

Bankrate has tips and calculators and explanations of all these steps. Serenity Now! —MEGHANN MARCO

6 Steps to Credit Card Serenity [Bankrate]

Comments

1. Amy Alkon says:

Here’s a tip: Don’t spend money you don’t have.

2. ahwannabe says:

Does anybody have any info on where that photo was taken? That, right there, is my dream vacation.

3. mcbarnicle says:

Another tip. Stop buying crap you don’t need. Like exotic vacations to what appears to be southern Utah?

4. FriarJohn says:

Restating the previous tips in a positive manner: Pay cash for everything. If you can’t pay cash, don’t buy it.

5. Amy Alkon says:

I look at it that way, Friar John, but then use a credit card to get the airline miles. In fact, I buy everything I possibly can using that airline miles credit card.

In my terms, the “minimum payment” is always the entire amount due.

6. katana- says:

Those losers over at Bankrate can have their “Credit Card Serenity”.

I chose Financial Peace.

7. katana- says:

Oh, and I’ve got news for you:
    That attractive person on a beach, is broke.

8. Type-E says:

My list of what I do to earn money from credit cards

1. Use credit card even for the tiniest purchase, 1% saved is a percent earned.
    2. Use 5% cards for grocery, drugs and gas (earn around $200 a year)
    3. Find all the 0% APR for one year credit card, consolidate it with other cards of the same company (ie, combine Chase freedom with Chase Rewards) to get more credit on your card. Then transfer all funds to a CD to earn interest (Just remember not to use the card and to pay minimum balance) (earn around $1k+ a year)
    4. visabuxx to help u earn points with your visa/master (I earn around $1k a year)

9. econobiker says:

@Type-E:
    How do you get those jokers to combine a 0% card with other of their products? Do you have to be a credit “gold” member?

I -had- two outstanding balance cards ( one from Chase and one from another company which Chase bought) and those freaks at Chase wouldn’t let me combine the balances. I figured they wanted me to have 2 chances to be late and to be able to charge horrid default interest rates…

10. Type-E says:

Have you tried it recently? They are totally fine for me to consolidate 4 cards into one card
    1 amazon (which is chase)
    2 Chase Rewards
    1 Chase freedom

Since chase freedom has 0% apr, I consolidate all credits into one card.
    Oh btw, the card that I am closing has zero balance. You have to have zero balance to close a card.

11. FriarJohn says:

@Amy:
    That’s great if you have the self-discipline. A majority of people don’t.