My Cellphone Has An Echo… A Black Man Echo

Tom Mabe has a very very curious problem with his cellphone. Whenever he talks, he hears his voice in echo. Not just any echo, but his voice comes out like an African-American’s. Listen to his recording as he prank calls “troubleshoots” the issue with his cellphone company.

Interesting how the customer service rep refuses to give out the company mailing address at the end. Prank call or, that’s illegal. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. Scuba Steve says:

Oh nice prank.. hahah.

2. junkmail says:

That’s nothing, my phone makes me sound like a goofy white guy… oh, wait..

3. RangerRick says:

How does this “news item” qualify for Consumerist coverage?

Two radio jocks play a practical joke on an unsuspecting and innocent customer service rep. I guess she deserves it because she probably has been rude to other customers who called with a legitimate gripe.

4. homerjay says:

5. MeOhMy says:

Sorry guys, but prank calling customer service lines just contributes to poor service for the rest of us. I don’t think Consumerist should wink at this kind of thing.

6. faust1200 says:

I’m sure you all would appreciate the fact that Mabe got his start pranking telemarketers that would call him. You can find them your favorite file sharing service or maybe the web. One of my favs is a telemarketer asking him to buy a funeral plot. Mabe pretends to be suicidal and said he was looking for a sign that he should kill himself and this call was the sign. Ultimately the guy asks if he can refrain from killing himself long enough to sign the paperwork. Mabe is great at thinking on his feet. I think he made a CD called Revenge on the Telemarketers or something. Obviously this was way before the nation no call list. The telemarketer calls are gold.

7. robrob says:

god forbid the site gets fun every now and then. sposed to be “strictly business” when dealing with teh asinine world or phone based CSRs!

bah. funny stuff. ben’s taken enough crap over the flickr debacle, personally i dont see anything wrong with havign a little fun every now and then.

and trust me dude, if you think the occasional radio call in prank is driving poor service (more than, say, outsourcing, budget /training cuts, long hold times, operator less systems, or any of the myriad of aches and paines that annoy us everytime we have to make a 1-888 phone call to a “help line”, well…. good luck with that.

8. LAGirl says:

homerjay says:

“That reminds me, I haven’t done the *228 thing in ages…. Does that really do anything?”

our company uses Verizon. i do think it works. it seems that whenever anyone is having a problem w/reception or dropped calls, and they do *228, both improve.

but seems like a lot of trouble just to get decent service. shouldn’t they just automatically provide that without you needing to do anything? stupid Verizon.

9. VeryPlainJane says:

That was pretty funny; thanks for sharing!

10. jacques says:

That wasn’t funny. Pranking on people who bother you is fine, but calling up overworked CSRs shouldn’t be fair game. But maybe I just don’t get it because I think drive time radio shows suck too.

11. Stepehn Colbert says:

THAT WAS GREAT!! PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!!

12. Antediluvian says:

I don’t think it’s illegal for the CSR to withhold the mailing address if the customer calls THEM.

It’s illegal for telemarketers to do that, but that’s for telemarketers making a sales pitch. Big difference between that and a “customer” calling tech support.

13. Hoss says:

Wus there a follow-up call from the black guy sayin there is a redneck on his line?

That’s funny — but not as funny as the comments saying that we shouldn’t screw with the holy CSRs.

14. M3wThr33 says:

Not that funny. Still worth a smile. I remember I downloaded these prank calls off AOL long ago. Really hilarious, like a woman complaining to a CSR that there weren’t enough Jewish sites on the Internet.

15. kalmakazee says:

That was some of the funniest shit ever! Some people just don’t have any sense of humor.

I think it’s a good thing for a Calling Center to get a prank call every once in a while. That way maybe they will prove customer service. Give them better training skills.

Then again that is just my opinion.

16. Yossarian says:

Aww racism on some honkey radio station is just do damn hilarious.

17. michelemental says:

i heard this on the radio as he was a guest and just about died laughing.
    i wanted to show my husband but it wont play. oh boo.