MLB Extra Innings Going to DirecTV?

Those of us who are fans of an out-of-market NFL team know the pain: Unless you have enough cash to go to a bar every Sunday for 3 hours, you pretty much have to get DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket. Could this monopoly be coming to Major League Baseball?

Martin writes:

Baseball is my lifeblood for the spring summer and fall and this potential move has me worried about my ability to enjoy my beloved Orioles from the confines of my home in St. Petersburg, Florida. Being a first time homeowner, I don’t want to mar my home with a sat dish.

Is there anything consumers can do to voice their displeasure to MLB’s potential dealings?

Yes, Martin there is. According to TV Predictions, Congress, specifically John Kerry and Arlen Specter, have taken an interest in the MLB Extra Innings issue. It seems they are the main roadblock to an NFL-esque DirecTV monopoly.

“I am opposed to anything that deprives people of reasonable choices. In this day and age, consumers should have more choices — not fewer,” Kerry said in a statement this month. “A Red Sox fan ought to be able to watch their team without having to switch to DIRECTV.”

If you’d like to contact Senator Kerry’s office to express your displeasure:

Senator John Kerry
304 Russell Bldg.
Third Floor
Washington D.C. 20510
(202) 224-2742 – Phone
(202) 224-8525 – Fax

If you’d like to contact Senator Specter’s office:

Washington DC Office
711 Hart Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: 202-224-4254

You can also contact your cable company and tell them you’ll leave if DirecTV gets the deal. —MEGHANN MARCO

Will cable beat DirecTV in Extra Innings? [TV Predictions]

Comments

1. jeblis says:

I’m really hoping they block this. I’m sick of the crappy mlb.tv webcasts that freeze every few minutes (especially since it’s auto renew and you can only cancel over the phone)

2. Aston14 says:

When I was in college (Boston) I used to watch my Mets on the MLB.com site, I think it was called MLB.tv. It wasn’t that expensive, though I don’t remember how much it cost exactly. If legislation isn’t passed, you might want to check into that. I don’t use it anymore since I moved back to NY, but when I was in New England it was a lifesaver.

3. montecon says:

Contacting the cable companies probably wont do any good. They’ve offered to match the deal DirecTV is offering financially, but the reason MLB wont deal with them is that the cable companies wont offer MLB’s new (in ’08?) baseball-only network on their basic tier packages. Keep in mind they don’t do that for the NBA or the NFL either and while I would personally love it, I dont think most people think it would warrant be on the same level as CNN, ESPN and TNT.

It’s not even clear DirecTV is even going to do that, but there has been speculation that the MLB doesnt really care if people can’t get the package on cable. Those people would then buy the MLB.tv online package, which is a much higher revenue per person for MLB itself (since they dont have to share it with DirecTV).

4. SteveA says:

How socialist of what one would think is a capitalist blog! To ask congress to interfere on the broadcast rights of a private organization?! Please say you have more economic education than that!
    All we need is another emergency session on baseball a la the steroid scandal.

If you care, complain to MLB commissioner,
    The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
    Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
    245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
    New York, NY 10167
    Phone: (212) 931-7800

5. magellan says:

Actually, Comcast offers the NFL Network too. I think it is part of basic, but not sure since I have DirecTv, and it is part of their basic package. That might be the issue with MLB, maybe cable won’t include them in their basic package.

I will say, the main reason for going with DirecTv for me was the NFl Sunday Ticket.

6. jeblis says:

I’m not so sure mlb.tv is better revenue for MLB. It’s less expensive $80 versus $140 (I believe that was last years costs) Also there is the overhead of maintaining a website/broadcasts.

7. If you are interested in more coverage about the DirectTV/MLB saga, NoMaas.org has some good coverage…

8. hop says:

there’s one born every minute……who gives a rat’s oriface????the rich get richer………………..

9. kalmakazee says:

Check out these 2 sites. Enjoy! :-)

http://www.freetube.us.tc and check out http://www.tvunetworks.com Now you can watch your sports. :)

For your every day electronics Check out my own website at http://www.thewizardofsales.com (we are still currently working on uploading our products) In the meantime click on ebay store.
    Or you can call the number on the website I have over 10,000 products currently not listed. I am the lowest on everything I sell and I am a 100% honest seller. Need proof? Just check out my ebay feedbacks. :)

Thanks. :)