Enviga's Own Study Undermines Calorie Burning Claims

The study on which the Coke’s “negative calorie” drink Enviga are based was finally published this month in the journal Obesity. The publication’s editors were quick to question the strength of Coke’s deductions.

“Increasing metabolism is not the same as causing weight loss or prevention of weight gain,” said Eric Ravussin, professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center and president of the Obesity Society. “Increases in metabolic rate may be easily offset by increased energy consumption or decreases in energy expenditure. Far more extensive studies are needed before any claim for efficacy in human weight management can or should be made on the basis of this study.”

The study was based on 31 subjects, and lasted only 72 hours. The weakness of the data hasn’t stopped Coke from a nationwide roll out and marketing campaign.

“I can choose to walk up the stairs or I can choose to have a can of Enviga,” Helen Falco, Coke’s director of nutrition and health policy, told USA Today. — BEN POPKEN

Enviga Study Casts Doubt on Calorie Burning & Weight-Loss Claims [CSPI]

Previously:
Coke & Nestle Sued Over Enviga’s Bogus Calorie Burning Claims
Shocker: Enviga Doesn’t Actually Burn Calories

Comments

1. Maulleigh says:

I can choose to eat less and exercise more or I can choose to take a whole box of Dexatrim.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

So….this just boosts your metabolism? Doesn’t cocaine do the same thing?

3. kerry says:

If it really increases metabolic rate, though, would people burn additional calories while living their lives the same as they had without the drink? Also, what’s the magic metabolism-boosting ingredient? Has it been proven effective by anyone?
    I think Enviga is a mistake of a product, but the idea of using supplements to increase metabolic rate isn’t a terrible idea. It would be nice to know which supplements actually work and why.

4. I had one the other day and liked it, just as a nice alternative to soda, but I’d never expect it to actually help me lose weight.

5. OnoSideboard says:

So this means I can have half a Sarah Lee cheesecake for dinner and a bottle of Enviga, and count that as 0 net calories in my food diary?

6. shiftless says:

The weight loss claim is lame but the peach flavor is nice. I am reminded of infomercials with their ‘results may vary’ wording on the can.

7. SexCpotatoes says:

ooo, will it tear a hole in the space time continuum if I those new FDA approved weight loss pills with Enviga? That would be kind of cool.

8. OnoSideboard says:

SexCpotatoes, if you read up on how those pills work, you’re likely to tear a hole, but not in the space-time continuum.

9. qazwart says:

Increasing your metabolism is not a good idea. Higher metabolic rates means higher oxydation damage. Animals with high metabolic rates live shorter than animals with lower metabolic rates.

Athletes on the other hand, have very efficient metabolisms. That’s why they have a very good resting pulse and low blood pressure. And, a recent study of people who live long and healthy lives (a study of people 80 and older who are still living independent lives) show that most of these people have more efficient HDL cholesterol and slower metabolisms.

The best thing to do is exercise which burns calories and increases metabolic efficiency.

My advice is to exercise, eat more vegetables, less fat, and stay away from junk food and junk food science.