United Airlines Says Don't Bring Wine On The Plane If Your Name Sounds Terroristy

hasan: that was funny — I’m going to Toronto tomorrow… and rang Air Canada inquiring about carrying wine in hand luggage… lady said “if you can get it passed security, we have no problem with it”, then asked me for my name and nationality, “Given that information, I’d advise you to leave it at home”
benpopkendang
hasan: me name’s Hasan and I’m a British national
hasan: flight is code-shared with United Airlines, CSR at United Airlines hung up on me

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. kerry says:

At least they were honest with him. Better to be told up front there might be trouble than to be surprised at the airport.

2. KesCaesar says:

Air Canada is sh*tty.
    That’s all.
    I wouldn’t apply it to Star Alliance, although United is getting to be just as bad.

3. B says:

I admit I’m not much of a terrorist, but how could you hijack a plane with a bottle of wine? Maybe by getting the pilot drunk.

4. Scazza says:

How is AC shitty? The airline was honest. Instead of him getting raped at the airport they were nice enough to inform him.

5. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

You can’t bring wine on planes anymore – no matter what your name – thanks to the TSAs completely sensible liquid ban.

6. grouse says:

how could you hijack a plane with a bottle of wine?

By smashing it and using it as a weapon? Much worse than box cutters I think.

7. mattshu says:

Aren’t bottles of wine more than 3.2 ounces? Joe Honkey will get butt-raped at any U.S. airport for trying to bring on any liquid more than 3.2 ounces, let alone a bottle of wine.

8. acambras says:

Seems like if he’s flying from the UK to Canada, then the United States Transportation Security Administration has nothing to do with this.

Unless George W. has invaded Canuckistan and I just haven’t caught the headlines yet.

9. wreckingcru says:

What if you bought a bottle of wine in duty-free?

10. brilliantmistake says:

When I was flying at New Year’s, I had a bottle of wine in my checked luggage. As I was checking it in, the United rep asked if I had wine or any similar bottles in my luggage. When I said yes, she said it had to be packed in styrofoam, or I couldn’t have it in my luggage. I assured her that it was packed securely, although not in styrofoam, and that I fly with wine in my checked baggage all the time (although I hadn’t flown United in a while). I was forced to remove it and leave it at the counter (at LAX).

I hadn’t though much about it, but eventually looked at the United website. Nowhere does it mention having to pack wine (or other glass bottles) in styrofoam. The TSA website also doesn’t mention this. Nor has any flight rep asked me about wine or other bottles in my checked luggage since. Hope they enjoyed the wine.

11. cabinaero says:

how could you hijack a plane with a bottle of wine?

By smashing it and using it as a weapon? Much worse than box cutters I think.

There’s already several bottles of wine on the drink cart and ceramic mugs, plates, etc. in business and first.

12. cabinaero says:

And fix the headline — Air Canada told him not to try it because of his name. United, apparently, just hung up on him.

13. B Borrman says:

So why does the headline read “United Airlines”? Air Canada was the one who made the claim, not United. And the airlines don’t run security, the even less competent government agency TSA does.

14. Scuba Steve says:

At least you didn’t get kicked off for scaring the other passengers. Planes are serious business nowadays, might as well build your own. Less hassle, anyways.

15. grouse says:

Yep. This is why it’s silly when they try to ban certain sharp objects.

16. cabinaero says:

grouse – like I’ve said before, the people who make airline security policy are far too big fans of MacGyver. They need to watch some western barfights instead.

17. squidhat says:

I’m surprised that terrorists even hijack/bomb planes these days, with the absurd airfare (and numerous ridiculous fees) that these companies charge. Even with your frequent flier miles, you’re looking at at least $500 CND to one-way bomb over the Atlantic, is that reasonable?

18. cindel25 says:

Wine?! Did they ever get around to refunding the $3,000 they stole from the couple?

19. Scazza says:

You could ship the bomb for much less, hell, even get a courior to pick it up from the post office and deliver it, while you sit cosy at home, *snicker* I kid, I kid…

20. KesCaesar says:

@Scazza-
    You’ve ever flown with them?
    Worst customer service ever.

21. faust1200 says:

Yeah. My friend Terry Wrist has to travel by hitchhiking on back roads nowadays. Things have gotten pretty out-of-hand. Actually I got that name from a youtube thing I saw where they made reservations somewhere in the UK under Terry Wrist and Al Kayda and since they didn’t show up for the flight they were paged over the PA. Lol.

22. aviationwiz says:

Don’t see anything wrong with this… the rep was straight up honest with the guy, which is always good. Basically they said it’s not really allowed through security by various agencies, but that if you can get it past them, they don’t mind it.

23. offtowar says:

Hurrah for arbitrary policies designed to make a few overreactive individuals feel slightly more secure.

I am now recalling the time when my now-ex-girlfriend, returning from Japan, had bought me a few small gifts. Despite the fact she was not allowed to bring a faux (although metal) throwing star on board, she was allowed a 4″ faux katana. Curious policies.

24. faust1200 says:

What would happen if you walked through security with a shirt that said “I am da bomb.” ??

25. shoegazer says:

faust1200 says:

You should probably ask this guy.

26. crayonshinobi says:

I’ve flown Air Canada from Osaka to Vancouver and on to Chicago. Compared to JAL,ANA and even UA; Air Canada had by far the rudest flight attendants in my experience.

Furthermore, the security stopped me to interview and search me no less than 3 times after arriving in Vancouver…That was the last time I flew that route to save a few bucks.

27. formergr says:

And…United Airlines is still incorrectly identified in the headline as the offending airlines. Ben- you clearly have it out for United, are you purposely not correcting the error in hopes that the RIAA vs UA poll results will change? And no, I’m not a United shill, so please don’t ban me like you did that other poster a couple of months ago (who I’m pretty sure didn’t work for them either).

28. John Stracke says:

No, they’re designed to make people feel less secure (“What if someone smuggles toothpaste on board! Won’t someone think of the children!”), so that they’ll be scared enough to vote for anybody who offers a solution.

29. armishanks says:

If you buy a bottle of wine from a store beyond the TSA checkpoint, you can bring it aboard. SFO has a wine shop in the United terminal.

30. cde says:

@morecoffee: Back in LAX, a random check-in attendent got blitz on some free wine later that night…

31. shdwsclan says:

Would somebody please think of the magrails.

32. klc says:

@KesCaesar: Really? Because I fly with them all the time – and not only have the clear majority of the people they hire both polite and courteous, but on the rare occasion that there was an issue where I had to deal with their staff – it was resolved promptly and satisfactorily.

In fact, I have never paid an excess fee for baggage despite having overweight bags maybe a half dozen times. Not company policy, it was a judgment call by counter staff.

As for CATSA, the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority; I have never had a problem with them, just like the majority of travelers… I think once in a small regional airport I had to have my shoes scanned and take off my belt – small price to pay to be with my family in 3 hours instead of 48, especially when time is short.

Then again, maybe I’m the only one that heavily researches before a first such as a new airline… Find out who decides what you can take and check their actual regulations if anything is touchy…

Besides – when I book direct from AC, I have always gotten a better overall price. Period – WJ ends up being 5-10% more then what I pay, and without the nice features like picking my seat when I check in on my mobile phone to get my paperless boarding pass… :P