Great Moments In Commercial History: Moo and Oink

In what may well become a series celebrating the best in local TV commercials from all over the nation, we at The Consumerist would like to take a moment to celebrate Chicago store Moo and Oink.

We think you’ll all agree, this Classic Moo and Oink commercial is possibly the greatest thing ever broadcast over the airwaves in the history of mankind. From the piles of meat, to that one woman’s sweater, to the strange painful sounding sign-off, Moo and Oink raises the bar for all regional chain stores. We salute you. Seriously. This makes us happy.—MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. Islingtonian says:

How old is this commercial?!

2. dyanflores says:

my love for this commercial is immeasurable. wow.

3. elvisaintdead says:

I’m preparing myself for a friend’s wife’s funeral tomorrow.
    I can’t begin to say how much this helps.
    Thanks.

4. oudemia says:

Moo and Oink!
    You should definitely find the old “Scottie Pippen Dodge Store” commercial now. It is stunning. (Shoot, can’t find it on YouTube.) Let’s just say he must have gotten a real agent quickly thereafter and the commercials were yanked and the store changed its name. Wonder if he still owns it though.

5. homerjay says:

Okay, judging by the use of what the kids called ‘rap’ combined with that HUGE sweater with the colored shapes on it that the dancer was wearing, I’d guess……1987?

6. zl9600 says:

Absolutely hysterical. Has to be mid to late ’80′s given the riff on the Michael and Janet Jackson street party dance moo-ves (couldn’t help it).

And holy cow (can’t stop) they are still around, moo-oink.com, including this commercial and the intro flash player has the same screech of the name. Moooooooooooo ann Oiyyyynk

7. Luxy says:

Oh. My. God. That was even better than a Bernie & Phyl’s commercial.

8. KesCaesar says:

Guys, I hate to say it, but that song can be heard on radio spots TODAY in Chicagoland. There have been days where I’ve had that jingle, (and the notable MOOOOOOOO and OOooooooooIIIIiiiiiiink!), in my head. :(

9. Paul says:

Man, I love Moo & Oink. I used to drive by it regularly on my way to the Skyway. It’s the perfect descriptive name for a store’s product. Consider: Polaski Meats doesn’t sell any Polaski, you can be sure.

10. thrillhouse says:

Wow, its been years since I’ve seen that. Tho I just saw one of their stores the other day.

Where else you gonna get your chitlins or tripe?

11. SexCpotatoes says:

Ha, this reminds me of the Fark TV – “cow man” video I just watched:

12. zl9600 says:

For those of us NOT in Chicagoland, it is either very scary that you have to hear this every day or really cool that they’re ballsy enough to run something so horrendous.

The rest of us are havin’ a ball looking at what you hear daily. Enjoy it.

13. zl9600 says:

Okay, and by the way, is catfish that gross looking uncooked? That gray patina looks like it came out of the Chicago river during the Cholera era.

They paid the ‘moo and oink’ wailer the money that should have gone to the foodstylist.

However, the cooked food? Made me crave ribs. Now.

14. Absorber says:

BEST. POST. EVER. I can’t even count the ways I love this video. Contemplating a move to Chicago.

15. The Unicorn says:

Awesome! I hear their radio ads all the time, but I’d never actually seen a TV commercial.

South Side What!!!!!

16. jacques says:

Much better than the Bob’s Discount Furniture ads. Yikes

17. Jesse says:

I love that their Stony Island location has a big sign on it that says, “We’d like to MEAT you!”

18. Hell's Donut House says:

Oh sweet baby back Jeeßus, you have no idea how happy this makes me! A few years ago M&O discontinued use of this jingle so I wrote to complain and ask them to reinstate it. So what do you think they sent me in reply? A form-letter chitlin recipe.

19. Coyote says:

lol, This is a great idea. I cant wait to see more cult/insane/wacky commercials that pop up on consumerist now.

Also I cant believe they have a website, to bad the “mooTV” link is busted :(