Dear Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn

Tom Bartlett delights in sending cockeyed letters to consumer product divisions. We delight in posting them. If you haven’t seen it, you should probably watch this commercial where they digitally reanimate Orville Redenbacher first before reading his latest.

Dear Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn,

First of all, let me say how much I enjoy Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn. Light, fluffy and oh-so tender, Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn makes a perfect snack unless you’re allergic to corn (I’m not). Heck yeah!

Anyway. I like your ads, too. Some people think bringing Orville back to life digitally was creepy, ghoulish and downright disturbing. Those people are such babies! I wish more dead people were on TV. It’s not like they have anything better to do, you know?

Pop off!

All the best,

Tom

Orville Redenbacher’s

reply, inside…

Dear Mr. Bartlett,

Thank you for contacting us regarding our Orville Redenbacher’s

commercial. We appreciate hearing from our consumers about our products.

Comments from the users of our products are always helpful. It is only by meeting the needs of consumers like you that we can continue to be successful. Your feedback will be shared with others in our company.

We would also like to take this opportunity to invite you to visit our collection of recipes at: http://www.conagrafoods.com/recipes/. You can also sign up to receive the latest information on our recipes from our brands and useful tips for your kitchen. Navigate to the link above and go to the “subscribe now” icon on the left side of the page. We appreciate your interest in ConAgra Foods.

Sincerely,

ConAgra Foods Consumer Affairs

CONSUMER E-MAIL: Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn [Minor Tweaks] (Thanks to Grant!)

Comments

1. King of the Wild Frontier says:

I understand that a project of this nature is already underway for Anna Nicole Smith. You have your choice of Classic or Chunk-Style. Also, Elvis.

2. grant0 says:

I sent it in, by the way. =P

BEN I AM DISGUSTED AT YOUR LACK OF ATTRIBUTION TO PEOPLE WHO SEND STUFF IN. I THINK I MAY SUE YOU FOR STEALING MY SENDING IN OF THIS WITHOUT ATTRIBUTING MY FLICKR PAGE, HOME WEBSITE AND PAYPAL ACCOUNT. I NEED THE PUBLICITY.

(In reference to the crazy Flickrites. I am joking. But I did send it in.)

3. jacques says:

That commercial freaked me out. Thankfully, I only was subjected to it once. Hooray DVR!

4. PatrickIs2Smart says:

Now if only ConAgra could get their peanut butter straight, everything would be just great!

5. micksweet says:

Reminds me of “The Lazlo Letters” book by Don Novello aka Father Guido Sarducci. That book is amazing.

6. Maulleigh says:

ha ha ha!! I feel for the poor bastards who have to write those letters for their companies. That commercial is a trainwreck; it’s not unlike that CREEPY commercial of a white cat dangling french fries over some kid. Just like communism: it looked good on paper

7. Zagroseckt says:

They DID not do a good job reanimating him … COME ON An IPOD!

Hello I’m Orville Redenbacher And i’m here to tell you .. (chains braking) I WANT YOUR BRAINS!!!.
    Brrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnssss

8. ElizabethD says:

Tom writes sublime letters. I love the way he is just fawning enough to suck in the CS drones, but leaves that little edge of “Is this guy shitting us?” to make people wonder. Or maybe they don’t.

9. ChiSoxFan says:

Is this the same guy who wrote the books Letters from a Nut? The writing is similar in style. Those books were classic. They were a collection of ridiculous letters he wrote to companies and their responses. I bought a few of them in the late 90’s but am not sure if he’s still doing it. Worth checking out though.

10. Wasabe says:

Letters from a Nut was by “Ted L. Nancy,” which many have assumed was a pseudonym of Jerry Seinfeld.

This guy should write a letter to Miller Lite about their new date-rape drug ads. (“My beer had GHT in it…”)

11. Along the same lines was a book called, _Drop Us a Line, Sucker!_. I don’t recall who it was by, and I’m too lazy to look it up.

My favorite letter in that book was when he wrote to one of those correspondence degree companies about becoming a paralegal. He kept referencing the Necronomicon and said that he first got “interested in the paralegal” when he saw his cat walk across the ceiling.

They sent a personal response to “set him straight,” even going so far as to point out that the Necronomicon is fiction.

12. xister says:

So, uhhh, are we sure that this was an actual commercial that the company put out? As cheesy as the VO is on Orville, I doubt the validity of it. And I’m betting the response on the letter was just a stock reply that everyone gets.

13. Wasabe says:

Yeah, it’s real. CPB is responsible. What happened, they used to be so innovative?

14. Negative says:

I want my 30 seconds back. That commercial was just stupid.

15. elvisaintdead says:

Micksweet, my thoughts exactly.
    required reading for everybody.

16. grant0 says:

Thanks, Ben. =P

17. Stepehn Colbert says:

That was digitally reanimated? I thought it was just some guy dressed up to look like him.