Introducing the Consumerist Flickr Photo Pool

On the heels of our lack of competence in attributing credit to Flickr photos comes the Consumerist Flickr Photo Pool. Believe it or not, we’ve been wanting/planning to do this for a long time. Why? The things we write on Consumerist are about the consumer landscape. Our tips come from you, and we want our photos to come from you as well. So, assuming you’ve forgiven us our trespasses, let us lead you now into our Flickr group. What do we need?

Photos of retail locations, particularly signs. We often write about stores and we need pictures of stores. Walmart, Target, Kmart, Payless Shoes, whatever. Document your grocery store. Document your mall. Take pictures of stores. Take pictures of restaurants. Banks. Payday lenders. Car dealerships. Take pictures of everything. WE NEED PICTURES OF STORES AND OTHER PLACES OF BUSINESS.

Advertising. Subway, Billboards, Television Commercials, everything and anything. WE NEED PICTURES OF ADVERTISING.

Products. Every sort of product from Cheerios to tampons. Take a picture of it.

Complaints. If you have a complaint that is accompanied by a photo you have a 4000% higher chance of having your complaint on the Consumerist.

Payday lenders that used to be Pizza Huts. We just really think that shit is funny.

Again, we really want Flickr to be involved! Help us further the mission of the Consumerist by documenting the consumer landscape. We can not run this blog without you. You are the blog. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. kerry says:

Ooh. I’m going to go take a picture of that Illinois Title Loans that used to be a Checkers. Too bad the insurance store that used to be a Taco Bell got torn down.

2. I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but the first 3/4 of that list sounds like a request for us to do your job for you.

3. Steve_Holt says:

I’m a little confused by the fourth bullet, “Complaints”. Does this mean that anytime we submit a complaint we should submit a pic (preferably one we hold the copyright to, or at least credit it)along with it? And does it have to be in context of the complaint? Like a person shouting into a phone, or someone getting run over by a U-Haul.

I’d love to see some more clarification on this.

4. TPIRman says:

I think the “complaints” bullet means that if U-Haul gave you a truck with no roof, then take a picture of the roofless truck. If you got moldy roast beef at the local A&P, take a picture of it. Document the source of your rage so that everyone else can wallow in it.

5. Optimistic Prime says:

I’m going to have to take a picture of the funeral parlor that used to be a Golden Corral restaurant.

6. Ooooh, I used to live near a fine French restaurant that was in an ex-McDonald’s. Now I’ll have to find something even more discordant than that.

7. debbieeditorial says:

But how will you know you’re not being spun by PRs sending in touched up photos? Reuters seems to be planning the opposite http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2259498.ece

8. Morton Fox says:

Finally, a use for all my photos of storefronts.

9. rmuser says:

This is perfect, I have a whole bunch of pictures of the local Wal-Mart and just recently started using Flickr.