Torrent Oscar-Nominated Movies

OscarTorrents lets users download Oscar-nominated films for free.

In the old days, we watched Oscars on television. We might have seen two or three movies up for an award. We might have had a favorite. We could only hope the “Academy” agreed. No more. Why should the “Academy” be the only ones to judge this year’s winners?

“OscarTorrents is the Oscars as it should be — everyone can download the year’s nominations using the popular BitTorrent service, watch the movies, then use our rating system to choose their favourites. Why restrict the voting to a few bought-off jurors when the whole world can have their say?”

What an innovative spin on the Oscars. On the advice of counsel -hear that, MPAA?- we stress that we do not condone movie theft. Stolen movies make baby Jesus cry. Baby Jesus OscarTorrents recommends Azureus to download the torrents they provide.

Be sure to visit OscarTorrents on Oscar night, when your votes will be compared against the votes of the “Academy.” — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

OscarTorrents
Azureus

Comments

1. Legodude522 says:

I’d do it but my ISP(Optonline) will terminate me.

2. ajn007 says:

Call me overly skeptical, but something about this screams MPAA sting operation. So I’m chicken enough not to download from here. With that said, however, I love their disclaimer:

“OSCARTORRENTS®, and the OSCAR THE PIRATE® statuette design mark are the unregistered marks of the League of Noble Peers. No ©2007. Nothing to do with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences & ABC, Inc. All Rights Reversed. The Official Oscars is a sham produced by villiains in partnership with the cult of celebrity. By accessing this site you’re probably comitting a felony somewhere — but let your own idea of what is right and wrong be your guide.”

3. royal72 says:

cool, but till the mpaa (much like the riaa) puts out something worth watching, it’s not even worth downloading for “free”. no thanks, i’ll pass.

4. orig_club_soda says:

Wow. This is a horrible idea. Not only are the Oscars a private organization and we have absolutly no right to voting in them, but you’ve injected mockery of Christians!? Its clear you do endorse IP theft regardless of your denial of such. If people paid to see the movies it would be a good idea.

5. xenth says:

Bah we’ve got just as much right to mock the Oscars as we do the FAG/SAG/whatever ceremony. Bunch of artsy types more concerned with cinematography than whether the movie is entertaining.

6. Scazza says:

Doubtful its an MPAA sting, Thepiratebay has been an ENORMOUS thorn in the MPAAs and game industry’s side for awhile now.

7. Cap says:

heh, anyone utilizing this instead of other private trackers are just asking for troubles though.

always funny to see blatant disregard of IP, I guess.

8. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Interesting idea….but there is lots of money to be made in that time frame after the nomination, and before the awards, for films like The Departed which is out (or coming out?) on DVD. A site dedicated to stealing the most potentially profitable movies currently out there…hmm…I think I’ll stay away from that one.

9. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Also….while I find this an interesting subject….I’m not sure how this falls into Consumerist territory. I mean, it is all about people not buying anything.

10. Slosh says:

sweet!

11. Slosh says:

OMG! my comment worked!

12. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Congrats!

*throws you a party*

13. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I didn’t mean for that to be sarcastic, just silly.

14. br549 says:

For shame Consumerist.

Does the “fair shake” for the consumer not extend to the companies too?

What if I made an entire blog just copying your content and putting in my own ads?

Next up on Consumerist:
    Get a great deal on a car by simply taking one off the lot without paying.

15. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

If people could steal cars by downloading them in the privacy of their own homes…I’m sure they would.

16. silenuswise says:

Not sure how this “falls into Consumerist territory”? Huh? The MPAA and RIAA are only the greatest current examples of how an industry should NOT treat its customer base. And that’s only the “duh” reason–the digital age is essentially re-defining the relationship between consumer and producer, raising huge questions of distribution and copyright that are a long way from being answered. I think that’s kinda sorta in the Consumerist ballpark.

17. itzsoweezee78 says:

regardless of how the MPAA and RIAA should/shouldn’t treat consumers, promoting theft as well as civil law violations isn’t pro-consumer.

18. silenuswise says:

The question was a straightforward one: is this news item relevant to consumers, and Consumerist-worthy? If you have not been locked in a spiderhole for the past ten years, you are undoubtedly familiar with the most recent MPAA/RIAA assault on consumers worldwide. You would also be aware of the fact that we are amid a fascinating revolution of digital information-sharing, and the creation of new models of “fair use”. Finally, you would be able to tally these points and find an easy answer to the question of this issue’s relevance to The Consumerist, and to consumers.

Now, as to your second claim (echoed in some other curious comments above), that The Consumerist–or at least Carey Greenberg-Berger–is promoting theft, well, you’re on your own. Kind of presumptuous, but you’ll have to take that up with the good folk who run this awesome website. Or go the fuck away–whatever. My point is simply as stated in the first paragraph regarding the relevance of the piece to consumers. Make a relevant counter-point, but spare me the irrelevant moralizing. Or, better: tell The Consumerist it is “promoting theft” in a more intelligent way.