Chase Discontinues Extended Warranty Protection For Visa Check Card

Reader Jay writes to inform us that Chase has discontinued the Visa Purchase Security and Warranty Manager Benefits for their check card. Visa’s Warranty Manager is a nifty service, allowing you to scoff at the “Extended Warranty” sales pitch when buying expensive electronics. From Visa’s site:

Warranty Manager’s registration service helps you take full advantage of your warranties, because you can get key information about your coverage with a single toll-free call. And if you send us your sales receipts and warranty information, we’ll keep everything on file–so arranging for a repair or replacement is as easy as picking up the telephone. Warranty Manager Service offers Extended Warranty Protection that doubles the free repair period under the original manufacturer’s written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less when an item is purchased entirely with your eligible Visa card.

Chase’s credit cards will continue to offer the service, or you can consider switching to another bank. —MEGHANN MARCO

Visa Warranty Manager

Comments

1. Jesse McBesse says:

Switch to another bank; Chase is the root of all evil.

2. TechnoDestructo says:

I’ve been figuring that out. First they’re dicking me around changing due dates for payments (and lying about it, or at least not informing their CSRs enough so that they can tell me what is really going on), then I notice they’d increased the interest rate on my “fixed rate” card…which I had got with Providian before they sold out to Chase.

Fuck Chase. Thanks for reminding me to call and cancel my card. Now that it’s paid off, and I don’t have anything else that charges to it, I’m ready. Good fucking riddance.

3. Hawkins says:

WHY DOES CORRESPONDENCE LIKE THIS SO OFTEN COME IN ALL UPPERCASE LETTERS? DO THEY THINK THAT THIS MAKES IT LOOK MORE IMPORTANT?

Maybe they want to make it look like a telegram.

4. Jesse McBesse says:

Hawkins-
    They want to make it as uncomfortable to read as possible, in the hopes that you’ll give up half way through because your eyes hurt.

5. zibby says:

Don’t forget Amex. I have used their extended warranty service a couple of times, and I’ll tell you what – they are more than helpful. In one of the cases – a laptop – they seemed to know the repair process better than anyone at the manufacturer did, saved me a lot of time by giving me the right direct numbers to call, etc.

6. lore says:

I second zibby’s comments. American Express has some good consumer protection programs in place, and I also have used their extended warranty and their purchase protection plans before.

They even “goodwilled” a warranty claim without any additional pressure from me even though it didn’t fall exactly under the guidelines.

7. vannsant says:

Don’t use any card that doesn’t have this protection, ESPECIALLY, a check card. Just for safety, I generally don’t use my check card for online purchases. I whip out the credit card. That way if there is fraud on it, it won’t ding my liquid cash, just my credit line, which can be fixed pretty quickly and almost always within 30 days.

I would leave Chase or cease using the checkcard if I was in this situation. I’m surprised that they are even allowed to drop that consumer protection.