Sprint Gives Better Adjustments To More Profitable Customers, Ranked On A Scale From One Dollar Sign To Five Dollar Signs

The more money you make Sprint, the more likely they are to you adjustments on your bill when you ask for them, regardless of whether the adjustment is due to a Sprint error. In the computer, your “value indicator” is represented on a scale of one dollar sign to five dollar signs, with five being the highest. Our Sprint corporate mole tells more.

benpopken: do more profitable customers get better adjustments? how much “more profitable” do you have to be?
philip: Oh yes
philip: In fact
philip: Every customer has a Value Indicator
benpopken: there we go
philip: This is where we start talking about items I could be terminated for
philip: Customers are measured by a Value Indicator that ranges from $ to $$$$$.
benpopken: hahahah
benpopken: at least cingular has a thermometer
philip: I can tell you how the metric is determined though. The formula takes into account the customer’s length of service with the company, the amount of adjustments requested in the last 12 months, and the amount of the average bill.

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. mikesfree says:

I would track this too, why not. If you have a good customer, you do something to keep them.

2. Johnie says:

What is wrong with that? It is good business practice to give your better customers more leeway.

Nothing to see here, move along. :)

3. kcskater says:

did ‘philip’ talk about what happens if sprint makes an error? You mentioned it in your blurb, but didn’t post the applicable part of the conversation. I’m interested to know how/why your profitability would determine the level of sprint’s liability.

4. NeoteriX says:

The post isn’t necessarily an indictment of Sprint–it is always useful for the consumer to know what policies are in operation at a company.

5. schvitzatura says:

The perfect score would probably be someone who has never called in (or called in and responding positively to an upsell in services), and loaded to the gill with primetime minutes and whatnot…

6. dwarf74 says:

I know my insurance company does something similar, too. I don’t see why it’s remarkable – you do more for your better customers.

Informally, I know I always gave better-than-required service to the folks who were nice on the phones or who treated me like a human being.

7. Helvetian says:

I’m sure all of the carriers use customer segmentation to seperate the low value from the high value accounts. I wonder what system T-Mobile uses, can you find out Ben? :)

8. Calliope says:

All the wireless companies I’ve heard of do something similar (though they don’t all have dollar sign indicators). They usually take into account how long you’ve been with the company, how high your price plan is, how good your pay history is (if you’re not willing to keep up your end of the bargain, why should the company give you any more than they promised), and even how many times you’ve called in asking for credits. If you call in all the time looking for bill reworks when all of the charges are technically valid then the companies are going to be far less likely to do it for you as a courtesy.

Of course, that’s all for credits done as a courtesy. If the company messed up your bill, then its their responsibility to fix it no matter how bad your pay history is.

And yes, as a service rep myself, I agree with dwarf74…the nicer the person is to me, the more likely I am to be open to the idea of giving a courtesy credit.