NPR's Bittersweet Guide To Chocolate, Yum!

A team of lucky individuals over at NPR spent the last two weeks blind tasting chocolate in a very, um, scientific study intended to identify the best Valentine’s Day chocolate to send your sweetie:

After gorging on the good (and not-so-good) stuff, NPR’s stuffed staff reached some decisions about the best — and worst — Valentine’s Day online-orderable gifts to give this holiday season.

The Best? NPR liked quite a few, the most interesting sounding being:

“Donnelly Chocolates Liquor Bombs, a collection of handmade dark chocolates with hard-liquor centers (tequila, Manhattan, limoncello, port, margarita, and scotch), the room was spinning for more than a few producers (in a good way.) “That was the best liquor-chocolate combo I’ve ever had,” said one. “So much better than Pabst.”

Better than Pabst? Surely not. —MEGHANN MARCO

A Bittersweet Guide to the Best V-Day Chocolate [NPR]

Comments

1. Musician78 says:

I love dark chocolate. This kind of makes me want some. :)

2. Dustbunny says:

As a chocolate connoisseur, I dunno about their list of the best chocolate — IMO, Godiva is overrated and overpriced. Trader Joe’s sells Belgian chocolates that are as good, if not better than Godiva, for half the price.

3. And if you order now with a credit card you’ll get a complimentary tote bag! :)

4. acambras says:

For those of us who aren’t fans of dark chocolate, Kahlua makes a lovely milk chocolate with a Kahlua liqueur center — yummy.

5. VeryFancyBunny says:

Heck yes to the chocolate liquor bombs. I had the pleasure of receiving a fancy set of them a couple years back — Drambuie, Stoli, Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker, etc. All encased in liquor-bottle-shaped dark chocolate. Best thing ever. And highly recommended as a precursor to your Valentine’s Day romping.

6. John Stracke says:

IMO, Godiva is overrated and overpriced

I agree. I much prefer Lindt. Or, in the Bay Area, there’s See’s.

7. AcilletaM says:

In 1991, my first year of college in downtown Milwaukee, you could get the yeast smell from Pabst and the chocolate smell from Ambrosia.

Is that the same as a liquor bomb?

8. Mr. Gunn says:

PBR is OK, but HighLife is my dollar beer of choice..

9. My vote for good chocolate goes to DeBrand. My company got some of their stuff one Christmas as a gift and I’ve been ordering their stuff for friends and family since.

10. MBM says:

John Stracke, good call–See’s rocks. And is available online, thank heaven.

11. Dustbunny says:

See’s is pretty good, and they have stores in Oregon fortunately.
    I tried some Russell Stover dark chocolates recently, which were quite good. I’ve always turned my nose up at RS because I thought they were a cheapo drugstore brand, but I was pleasantly surprised. They’re sort of the “2-Buck-Chuck” of chocolates…in fact, they’d make a pretty good combo with the wine.

12. LRM216 says:

Hey, I’m easy – after trying many of the “bests” listed above, I still prefer a plain ole bag of Dove milk chocolates anyday.

13. mxyzptlk says:

I still can’t believe the results of their “testing.” I find it very hard to believe Hershey’s, Vosges, and La Maison du Chocalat are in the same category.