Get Another Free Credit Report, Even If You've Used Up Your Free One

There is another way to get a free credit report if you’ve already used up your free one per year through annualcreditreport.com.

Call the credit bureau. Ask for a fraud alert to be put on your credit report. Then, ask for a free copy of your report. As a potential victim of identity theft, you’re entitled to one under Federal law.

Equifax: 800-685-1111; Fraud Dept. 800-525-6285
Experian: 888-397-3742
Trans Union: 800-916-8800; Fraud Dept. 800-680-7289

If they give you a hassle, you might try saying you think you shopped at T.J. Maxx between June and December of 2006.

Hey, with the rampant spread of identity theft, and merchant’s inability to protect our data, most of us probably are potential victims. — BEN POPKEN

4 More Ways To Get A Free Credit Report [MyMoneyBlog]

Comments

1. Josh Smith says:

Good info.

If one of the credit agencies does not show anything for my employment history or my account history do I need to dispute this the same way I would bad information regarding late payments etc?

2. acambras says:

Another good tip (I think I’ve seen it here but it bears repeating):

Stagger your free annual credit reports. Get Equifax in January, Experian in May, and Trans Union in September (or whatever combination). That way, you have access to a credit report at least every four months instead of just annually.

3. Mr. Gunn says:

If there’s anything even slightly inaccurate in your file, you can use the online dispute process, which shows you a copy of your current report.

4. viriiman says:

Acambras: Not a bad idea. Personally, though, I think that you should be allowed to get your credit report for free twice a year in 6 month intervals. Why? A lot can happen in a year

5. AcilletaM says:

What’s with that picture? Did she break her neck? Is that another way to get a free report?

6. star_ says:

This is bad advice just to save a few dollars. A fraud alert can cause problems with obtaining new credit and also with current creditors.

Also, it’s not an honest approach. This feature was set up for actual victims of identity theft. Using it just to save a few dollars is wrong.

7. denon says:

@star_: I have to agree. Honesty will get you everywhere. All of us “consumers” rant and rave about “big company customer service” tactics. Why does it surprise us when they occasionally slip up or mistreat us, if we are repeatedly and intentionally trying to defraud them?