Beyonce's "House of Dereon" Supports "Dog Fur" Ban

The Humane Society of the United States announced the results of an investigation into fur trim earlier this year, and they were startling. Major designers were using fur from a canine species called “raccoon dog”, but labeling the fur as “faux.”

Three designers even used domestic dog fur advertised as “fake fur” or “faux fur”: Tommy Hilfiger, Joie, and MARC New York.

Now Beyonce’s “House of Dereon” (one of the designers that used “raccoon dog” fur) has come out in support of a new bill to ban the sale of “raccoon dog” fur, and close a loophole that “allows a jacket trimmed with $150 worth of fur to be sold without a label. Because animal fur is often sheared and dyed to look fake, an unsuspecting consumer who thinks she is getting faux fur could be purchasing animal fur.”

Read Tina Knowles letter inside.

Tina writes:

To whom it may concern,

The Humane Society of the United States alerted us when the group discovered, through mass spectrometry testing, that a fur-trimmed jacket from the Der

on collection used Asiatic raccoon fur and that this animal is often killed in inhumane ways, and its use has led to industry-wide deception in the fashion industry.

Fashion is an important part of my life and my career, and through the House of Der

on and Der

on clothing lines, we hope to inspire a new generation of self-expression and confidence. While some of our designs include fur, we were surprised to learn that we could have little assurance in what type of fur we purchased.

We don’t want to have to guess about what types of products we are using and consumers shouldn’t have to guess either. All garments should be 100% properly labeled.

We endorse the Dog and Cat Fur Prohibition Enforcement Act, introduced by Congressman Jim Moran (D-VA) and Congressman Mike Ferguson (R-NJ), and support the Humane Society of the United States on the call to Congress to enact this important animal welfare and consumer protection law as quickly as possible.

Tina Knowles

House of Der

on

Another option would be to avoid buying items that have fur trim, as you now know it could be domestic dog fur. By the way, Tommy Hilfiger labels domestic dog fur as “Nylon Coyote,” which sounds like the name of a band.—MEGHANN MARCO

HSUS Fur Investigation (PDF) [HSUS]

Comments

1. acambras says:

Ewww.

I knit, and I’ve seen website where people offer to spin your pet’s hair into yarn, so that even after Rover meets his great reward, you’ll have a precious keepsake to wear and cherish. They say that some breeds’ hair is better suited to yarn-spinning than others’, and they do mention that dog hair yarn is warmer than wool.

My allergy to dogs would preclude knitting or wearing a doggy sweater, but I would also wonder how bad dog hair yarn or trim (a la Dereon) would smell after being worn in the rain.

2. Dustbunny says:

I guess the smell wouldn’t be too bad, but I hear you get the urge to stop at every hydrant when you wear a dog hair jacket.

3. magic8ball says:

Is fake fur somehow even more expensive than real fur, or something? I’m confused about why the designers are taking real fur, then processing it and mislabeling it to make it appear fake. Why don’t they just use fake fur to start with?

4. ADM says:

Wow, I guess I missed the update about the *domestic* dog fur. Does that mean there is a dog fur rendering factory around here somewhere? Where are the dogs whose fur is being used? On the dog farm?

5. Ass_Cobra says:

When they say domestic they are referring to domesticated dogs, not domestic in the sense of in the US.

I can’t believe that people can find some types of fur okay and others not okay just because one happens to come from a cute doggy and the other from a somewhat less cute rodent. I mean I can believe it, I just can’t believe that anyone thinks it’s a valid differentiation or somehow makes them seem more humane.

Chickens are not cute, but you can’t be a vegetarian and eat them. Is there a kind of vegetarianism for people that just don’t want to eat adorable animals?

6. pestie says:

See, I find it all OK. I don’t see a difference between raising mink for fur or cows for food, and doing the same with dogs, or even cats (and I love cats). Either it’s OK to kill animals for food and fashion or not, as far as I’m concerned.

7. Mr. Gunn says:

Fake fur must be pretty damn convincing if it takes mass spec to tell it from real. Anyone else wish PETA would just leave us alone?

8. ahwannabe says:

magic8ball: when designers first started doing this, the idea was that the fashionistas would know they were buying real fur (and paying top $ accordingly), but to the rabble on the street it would look fake, and in that way the wearer could avoid being yelled at, having paint thrown on them, etc.

But as far as *tricking* a buyer into buying real fur disguised as fake, I have no idea how that works.

9. acceptablerisk says:

My feelings pretty much mirror those of pestie. There are plenty of animals I find adorable, but if they taste good, I’d still eat them. If they’re fuzzy and warm, I’d still line my gloves with their ass. If it’s okay to turn a cow into beef and shoes, I don’t see how it’s a problem to raise dogs for their fur.

10. x23 says:

tanuki suit.

11. corporatedrone says:

The issue is not whether you think certain types of fur are ok and others are not. The point is that real fur is being labeled as fake fur, and that’s not ok. If someone has a moral objection to fur in general (as I personally do), they seek out items with faux fur, and would have a huge problem giving their money to support the fur industry of ANY kind. Regardless of your opinion on the moral implications, consumers have a right to know what they’re buying and wearing.