Almost 1 Million Easy-Bake Ovens Recalled

Hasbro is recalling 985,000 Easy-Bake ovens due to reports of children’s hands getting stuck inside the oven, resulting in burns and lacerations.

“The Easy-Bake Oven is a purple and pink plastic oven that resembles a kitchen range with four burners on top and a front-loading oven. “Easy Bake” is printed on the front of the oven. Model number 65805 and “Hasbro” are stamped into the plastic on the back of the oven. The Easy Bake Oven is an electric toy and is not recommended for children under eight years of age. Ovens sold before May 2006 are not included in this recall.”

If you have one of these ovens, you can contact Easy-Bake tor a receive a free retrofit kit with consumer warning. Caregivers should keep the Easy Bake Oven away from children under eight years of age. —MEGHANN MARCO

Easy-Bake Ovens Recalled for Repair Due to Entrapment and Burn Hazards [CPSC]

Comments

1. Little Mintz Sunshine says:

It’s very sad that one of the rights of passage of my childhood (third degree burns from the Easy Bake Oven) will not be shared by a younger generation.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

My office XM channel was just playing “The Final Countdown”…that, in combination with this article, made me think of the Corn Baller from Arrested Development. Hehe.

3. hildeaux says:

or you could just teach your crotch dropping to not stick their hands in an oven.

christ.

4. pestie says:

Crotch dropping?? Hahahahah… You win the Cool Phrase of the Day contest!

5. kerry says:

Egad, I almost bought one of these for my cousin for Christmas! Granted, he’s 32 years old, but that doesn’t mean he’s smart enough not to stick his hands in the oven.
    I had one in college (one of the greatest birthday gifts EVER) and it made for handy snacks during all-nighters.

6. Pasketti says:

My daughter has one of these. I haven’t seen the details of the refurb kit, but I can speculate.

The opening to the actual oven itself is covered by a spring-loaded metal door. When the pan is pushed inside, it pushes the door down. When it’s fully inserted, the door springs back up.

What I think happens is that people can push the pan in with their fingers, which are then caught by the door. Pulling back will only tighten it. You’d have to push the door down before you can pull your finger out. If the oven’s hot, you could get a nasty burn.

7. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

You call that dangerous? I’m still waiting for them to bring back lawn darts. And I still miss Mainway Toys’ “Bag-o-Broken Glass” and “Johnny Invisible Pedestrian” costume.