Top 5 Super Bowl Ads (With Video)

The Consumerist’s picks for the top five best SuperBowl 2007 ads:

1. Garmin GPS – “The Japanese Monster movie one.”
2. FedEx – “The one where the meteor totally blasts the astronaut.”
3. Coca-Cola – “That trippy one inside the soda machine.”
4. Nationwide Mutual Insurance – “The one where K-fed works at Taco Bell.”
5. Bud Light – “The one where the gorillas are gonna tackle the Bud Light guy.”

Two ads seemed inspired by Arrested Development: The background music at the end of the FedEx ad is the same that Gob uses during his music acts, and the Sierra Mist combover fella sports Tobias’ “never-nude” cutoffs. The rampaging Japanese monster movie idea also appears in an AD episode, but we’ll let that one slide.

So much violence this year. It was a bit disturbing. NYT ruminates this reflects the “toll of war in Iraq.”

And Sales Genie, WTF? Wouldn’t that money be better spent on sending a million more direct mailings? 30 seconds watching a a bowl of tripe would’ve been better. At the end it says, Sales Genie: We’ve got tripe. Call now.

Videos inside…

1. Garmin GPS – “The Japanese Monster movie one.”

2. FedEx – “The one where the meteor totally blasts the astronaut.”

3. Nationwide Mutual Insurance – “The one where K-fed works at Taco Bell.”

4. Coca-Cola – “That trippy one inside the soda machine.”

5. Bud Light – “The one where the gorillas are gonna tackle the Bud Light guy.”

Say Cheese!

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. MaliBoo Radley says:

I live in London. Coca Cola has been showing that ‘trippy’ ad over here for about a month. Nice, but not new.

2. SexCpotatoes says:

#3, since when does taco bell do “fries”…

and

#5, man it would be cool to be able to get wasted at the zoo, but drunk unruly people would probably ruin it by making fun of the animals or egging them on to fuck.

3. I’m too much of a geek to enjoy the FedEx spot overmuch, since I was distracted by the “zero-gravity” on the Moon. Um, FedEx, that’s 1/6 gravity. Bouncies, not floaties.

I did, though, love the Garmin one. {Prof. Jonathan}

4. I’m too much of a geek to enjoy the FedEx spot–I kept thinking “1/6th gravity, guys! Bouncy, not floaty!” {Prof. Jonathan}

5. Paul D says:

It’s a bit of a stretch to say those two items were “inspired” by Arrested Development. The song in the FedEx ad (and Gob’s magic shows) is “The Final Countdown” by Europe, which is often used in lame space-travel contexts. And Arrested Development, great show though it was, did not invent cutoff jean shorts.

Meh. The “trippy” Coke ad was the best. (And the Snickers one, of course.)

6. DeeJayQueue says:

You picked the wrong bud light commercial! The “I threw a rock” one was 10x better than the gorilla one.

7. Josh R. says:

I suggest that the best spot was the Budweiser one with the sad dog who gets splashed and then joins the firefighter parade.

8. tgiokdi says:

I agree about the moon commercial being too stuipd for me to be able to suspend my own intelligence.

And the author’s most likely thinking of the offer that Taco Bell make to k-fed to work in one of their stores.

9. Falconfire says:

I hate to say it, but they where all dissapointedly lame.

Then again so was the game after a while. If I wanted turnovers I would have picked up a box at the bakery

10. tgiokdi says:

I agree about the moon commercial being too stupid for me to be able to suspend my own intelligence.

11. Shutterman says:

Bud Light “I threw a rock” and “he’s got an ax.” Were my picks.

12. B says:

Gob: They’re Illusions!

13. Pelagius says:

The “trippy” Coke ad aired during last year’s Bowl. Those white fuzzballs with lips gave me nightmares for weeks.

What was with the CGI talking animals? I’m confused now – do talking animals want me to buy beer or tacos? Or both?

And can this year please be the death knell of crappy .com ads? GoDaddy and Sales Genie both lose to ‘bowl of tripe’ in my estimation. That said, the “office survivor” and “finger” ads be some job website and some brokerage website were amusing, but I can’t even remember the names of the companies, so…

14. junkmail says:

*meh* definitely the worst collection so far. It seems like the advertisers are resting too much on previous successes, and not putting any effort into the new stuff. Didn’t see anything that lived up to the whole “Super Bowl commercials are the best part of the game” hype.

15. c’mon…Letterman and Oprah was the best commercial

16. Anyone have a link to the letterman commercial?

also, from the superbowl ad sites, I liked the rock and hitcher bud ads better, as well as the dalmation. dogs win cute always.

the k-fed made me laugh, nationwide took a nice chance.

17. KesCaesar says:

Total suckage this year. :( But Prince was awesome, so it’s ok.

18. tekguru8 says:

How come nobody has mentioned the GM commercial featuring the machine from the factory that drops a screw, gets fired, becomes depressed & commits suicide (But it’s all a dream). That was my favorite commercial this year.

19. awcrap says:

Umm, what about Robert Goulet shilling for Emerald Nuts? That was pure genius.

20. Dustbunny says:

I liked the GM ad with the machine too. Sad robots get me every time : )
    And nobody mentioned the Bud Light wedding auctioneer ad — I thought that was pretty funny.

21. smd31 says:

Yeah most/many of the commercials were “cute” or “heh” funny…nothing really “lol” funny. Kinda sad. :(

22. non-meat-stick says:

A trick is something a whore does for money

23. non-meat-stick says:

and how about those commercials during the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet!!

24. bluwapadoo says:

Wasn’t there supposed to be a commercial where a guy proposes to his girlfriend? Did I miss that? I wanted to see how lame 2 million dollars will get you.

25. Jesse McBesse says:

YES, bluwapadoo!!! I watched for it, but it never came!!! :(

26. Sudonum says:

The Bud Wedding/Auctioneer ad was one of the best, and that’s not saying much. I had forgotten all about the wedding proposal too. I guees he pocketted the money.

27. maddypilar says:

I though the best spot in the game was the Letterman promo with Oprah. It was the only one that made me smile. Most of the spots were entirely uninspired. Those Carlos Mencia beer ads made me cringe.

28. denki says:

The coke ad, aside from being from last year’s, had character design by the guy who made Oddworld, Lorne Lanning.

Bud light commercial sucked.

29. Youthier says:

The Carlos Mencia ad reminded me of that episode of My Name is Earl when Earl tries to teach ESL. Eh.

I agree with Oprah/Letterman being tops. I also enjoyed the NFL.com ad

30. bluwapadoo says:

I did some investigation. (If this site is legit, that is).

According to the website, CBS was wishy washy about airing the proposal. Something about a lack of sponsor or something. So the guy claims the commercial is going to be on during Veronica Mars. And only in his local market.

And I thought it couldn’t get any worse….

31. TedSez says:

SalesGenie doesn’t provide “sales leads” so much as contact information for just about every home and business in the country. According to their website, for $180 per month, they provide customers with the following databases:

• 14 Million U.S. Businesses
    • 2.6 Million New Businesses
    • 13 Million Executives & Professionals
    • 600,000 Manufacturers
    • 250,000 Big Businesses
    • 5 Million Small Businesses
    • 210 Million U.S. Consumers
    • 75 Million Homeowners
    • 15 Million New Movers
    • 4 Million New Homeowners
    • 8.5 Million Bankruptcy Filers
    • 13.4 Million Homes with Children

In other words, they’re providing anyone who pays them with our home or business contact information so they can push their lousy products on us, whether we want them to or not.

Think about that the next time you wonder how the smug guy in the commercial got that nice car and hot babe… Instead of wanting to be like him, you’ll probably want to punch him out.

32. adamondi says:

Yeah, SalesGenie is a total douchebag of a company. They have been advertising on my favorite morning radio show for several months, and every time one of their ads comes on, I hate them even more. Stupid putzes.

It also didn’t help that their ad looked like the commercials that come on at 2 AM on basic cable. My wife and I kept expecting it to be a parody until the SalesGenie shtick really kicked in.

33. 24fan24 says:

I miss Arrested Development :(

34. rich815 says:

Those are some lame ass ads.

35. slimpickens42 says:

Coke really disappointed me this year. I had seen everyone of their ads in the past. The Super Bowl is not the place to run reruns guys. The GM robot seemed to be in very poor taste with their recent lay-offs and everything. Also the Fed-Ex one ticked me off. If your going to make a commercial on the moon at least realize that the moon does have gravity. I personally loved Robert Goulet and Garmin.

36. reginae says:

I miss the good old days, when cowboys herded cats, and monkeys danced with cassette boomboxes.

37. RangerRick says:

Garmin ad: I hated it!

USA Today yesterday reported that their focus group rated Garmin among the five least popular commercials. It finished one slot higher than the Flomax prostrate drug stinkeroo.

38. J L Borghead says:

There were no Head On (apply directly to the forehead) ads… so I was disappointed.

39. kenposan says: