Target Bypassing Music Labels, Releasing Its Own Music

Target is as sick of music labels as you are, it seems.

Target on Thursday said it partnered with an independent start-up music label, 180 Music, to release 15 adult contemporary CDs in all 1,449 stores on February 25 for $9.99 each. Similar releases are set to follow, according to 180 Music founder and chief executive officer Jim Brandmeier.

They’re planning on releasing CDs by Kenny Loggins and David Cassidy.

“A lot of legendary adult artists have been ignored and the adult audience has been ignored as well, so we’re going to put those two things together for artists to express themselves,” Brandmeier said, adding that Target plans only to release the series in physical form and not make it available digitally.”

Starbucks, Walmart and Sam Goody have all worked directly with artists to exclusively distribute music, so this move by Target is nothing new, but it does sound warning bells for record labels. First David Cassidy, then the world. —MEGHANN MARCO

Target To Distribute Exclusive Series Of Music [Reuters]

Comments

1. funkright says:

Ummm.. it’s actually done by Target to increase their margin of profit. I highly doubt that it’s being done for the good of the indy’s or out of the kindness of Target’s corporate heart…

2. Ha! That picture is from my target in Chicago. Loving the local picture.

3. non-meat-stick says:

Every CD at Target is either >6 months old or a greatest hits CD. It would be nice to see them expand their selection.

I will, of course, continue to support my local independent music store rather than big box whores.

4. Hoss says:

Remind me what a CD is again?

5. any such name says:

i love that i can always tell by the picture if meghann wrote the article. they’re always pictures from chicago.
    i prefer my trashy logan square target. ;)

6. ElizabethD says:

Well, with those artists being featured, I am guaranteed not to waste and extra $9.99 at Tar-zhay next time I shop. David Cassidy? blarghhh

I’m over 50 and I want new CDs by the White Stripes and OK Go. You hear that, Target? So much for demographic generalizations.

7. Frankly, I’m disgusted with you people.

You get fed a beautiful straight line about “legendary adult artists”, and not one commenter has even mentioned Ron Jeremy yet, much less held forth about how they once saw Nina Hartley “expressing herself” with a quite large portion of her “audience”.

You’ve changed, guys. You’ve changed.

8. elisa says:

this was the next step, after the Target 7 series of CDs! I won’t be buying these…Kenny Loggins?…but I guess it’s good for some overlooked artists.

and that looks like a really nice Target…not like any I’ve seen here in California (and I thought 2 story Targets were cool!) Really liking that glass tower thingie…is it as nice inside as it is outside?

9. B says:

Finally, a place where I can buy Kenny Loggins and David Cassidy CDs. Now my elevator listening room will be complete.

10. ghandis_revenge says:

I hate adult contemporary music. But I guess if Target feels there’s a untapped market there, then more power to them and the artists. My dentists, and local B&N’s should be pleased too.

11. TedSez says:

If David Cassidy wants to sell any albums, he should put the old band back together and aim for the preteen Radio Disney crowd. (Assuming Danny’s out of rehab and Shirley’s still alive.)

12. corruptsuperspy says:

Loving all the Chicago people in this post. That’s the Target I can see from my office window and that takes up many a lunch break.

It’s pretty nice; not that old and doesn’t get a ton of traffic.

13. Elizabeth – with the Buzzcocks doing AARP commercials, perhaps they understand better than you think?

14. Ben Popken says:

test

15. lincolnparadox says:

They should sell a Yacht Rock compilation. That smooth sound would slide off the shelves into everyone’s cart.

16. thrillhouse says:

They’re planning on releasing CDs by Kenny Loggins and David Cassidy.

What? No Michael McDonald?