Here are the cellphone industry’s talking points on why early termination fees are the cat’s tits.
- “Early Termination Fees provide consumers with numerous benefits, notably lower costs for wireless services and products…
• ETFs Help Produce Lower Overall Wireless Rates
• ETFs Dramatically Reduce Economic Barriers for Wireless Subscribers
• Wireless Consumers Have Several Rate Plan Options
• ETFs Are Used By Numerous Businesses
• Restricting ETFs Limits Consumer Choices and Increases Costs”
Here’s our talking points on why we dislike ETFs…
• Consumers aren’t made sufficiently aware at purchase about early termination fees.
• Consumers aren’t made aware of the relationship between the discounted phones they see in-store and the early termination fee.
• Cellphone companies never advertise that consumers can get a month-to-month plan.
• Only through informal channels do consumers learn about the possibility of purchasing a phone not directly from the company and then signing up for a month-to-month plan.
• Even when consumers have a legal right to exit contract without financial penalty, cellphone companies’ customer service reps will go to great lengths, including outright lying, to prevent them from exercising this right.
— BEN POPKEN