Walmart Nazi Tshirt Watch: Week 11

11 weeks after t-shirts bearing Nazi insignia were discovered in Walmart, the retailer has yet to remove them from all their stores, despite initial promises to do so within days.

We particularly enjoyed one entry by Thaddeus’. The plopped shirts arranged in triptych grant the scene the air of roguish insouciance we’ve come to know and love Walmart for. Well played.

As for the rest of you, please, step back from the shirts a bit when you take the pictures. Let’s get some WIDE shots. You don’t need to press the lens right up against the fabric. Trust us, it will look cooler.

This week’s carnival of indifference, inside.

Recent updates to this story.
Backstory.

Rob in Hobbs, NM writes on 1/27/07:

Found myself at Wal-Mart today, a rare enough occurrence, and came face-to-face with the bugger turning a corner!

Thaddeus in Naperville, IL writes on 1/27/07:

I was out at one of our local WalMarts with my brother. Knowing about the shirt, we decided to see if they had any. They did. As with previous individuals, we went to the self checkout. A “See Cashier for Assistance” came up on the screen.

The cashier was able to override the register, ringing it up as TSHIRTTT, and we were able to buy the shirt. They had at least five others.

Just for the record the only reason I bought it was because of all the hoop-la. Normally I have no use for a t-shirt, especially one with something on it, but I just had to buy this one just because I’m not supposed to be able to.

Fred in Jacksonville, FL writes on 1/28/07:

I wasn’t planning on purchasing it but I took it to the counter anyway to see if it would ring up. Got the do not sell error, the lady just looked at me and said, “You can’t buy it.” I told her I was just checking and walked out. I was so surprised to find the shirt I forgot why I went in the store in the first place.

And now Virgin Megastore is getting in on the act. Kevin sent this on January 30th, spotted in Virgin Megastore in San Francisco, CA.

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. adamondi says:

I don’t know what is worse. Wal-Mart selling an old-school original totenkopf T-Shirt, or Virgin Megastore selling an updated, retooled totenkopf symbol on a T-Shirt.

2. Thaddeus says:

Well, I was an art minor…

3. scudsone says:

Its just a fucking skull.
    Is every t-shirt that’s ever had a skull on it now a pro-Nazi t-shirt. Are all skulls now and forever associated with Nazis? Don’t the Nazis already have a symbol of their own? Aren’t swastikas enough?
    What about pirates. are they going to have to change their flags now? Does this mean Johnny Depp is a Nazi. And skeletor? What about halloween? Is it a Nazi holiday now? Who’s gonna start the rumor that Hitler’s birthday is October 31st.

4. Mike_ says:

3rd SS Division Totenkopf (Wikipedia – pops)

5. jodamiller says:

I had to read the comments to figure out what Nazi symbol they were talking about. In that case, I guess my high school anatomy classroom had one too.

6. Charles Star says:

The Trix rabbit is notoriously anti-semitic.

7. andrew says:

Hey, scudsone:

Weren’t you the guy who posted the following in the BenQ WTC story?

yeah, and when i see a swastika i just saw “eh.. a funny looking cross, whatever”

mjdeviant, you’re an idiot

Oh. Yeah. You were. Guess you’re a bigger idiot. Especially since that’s NOT just a skull, its the exact SS Division insignia.

Shall I spell it out for you? Nazi. Not Nazi. Also not Nazi.

8. AcilletaM says:

The Wal-mart shirt has the SS Division insignia, the Virgin one does not. It’s just a skull, not Nazi.

9. faust1200 says:

Well not to split hairs but the one sold at Virgin looks to me like the Grateful Dead Symbol known as “steal your face” The difference being the lightning bolt on the cranium. Usually this skull is accompanied by blue/red colors. (Lots of Deadheads at a few schools I went to) As far as the Walmart shirt, I didn’t know it was a Nazi symbol and I have been force-fed holocaust material as a youngster. Not being a Nazi symbologist I guess I’ll go a long with it but what does “since 1978″ mean??

10. faust1200 says:

For those interested I found some interesting discussion on the topic here:

11. faust1200 says:

For those interested I found some interesting information here:

12. bluegus32 says:

scudsone:

In looking at your past posts, it’s obvious that you’re not interested in the stories regarding the WalMart nazi shirts. Fine. You don’t have to be. But the Consumerist posts at least a dozen stories a day. Rather than cluttering up the comment section with this kind of venom, why not just pass it by and wait the 15 minutes for the next article?

13. Stepehn Colbert says:

well, I suppose this isn’t going to be cleared up anytime soon it seems.

14. VG10 says:

I went to my local walmart looking to pick up one of these and they had none. no display, no shirts, nothing. ill check another walmart tomorrow.

15. akling4 says:

are the shirts in the top picture black or do they just appear that way?

16. jwissick says:

time to let this one go…. it’s gonna be there till they sell them all or they get stolen….

17. William Mize says:

Thank god we are down to one post a week regarding this pressing, pressing issue.

18. Thorny says:

I second William. This topic has become wallpaper.

19. King of the Wild Frontier says:

In other news, Francisco Franco is still dead.

20. ShadowWolf says:

So now because of a ovelty T-Shirt you have just lost some poor cashier their job for doing an override and you posted their store and cashier ID # on the receipt. Geeeeee your such a swell reporter…. couldnt even black it out to protect the innocent cashier that was probably new and really needed the job.
    Also not everyone sees what you do in the cracks on the skull…. can we say “Rorschach” test.