Part 3: I Was A Cybercrook For The FBI

Part 3 of Dave Thomas’ story of working as a cybercriminal for the FBI story is up on Wired, The Boards Come Crashing Down.

This portion explores what happened in the climax and aftermath of the FBI’s sting operation.

Interestingly, Thomas knew the hacker who cracked Paris Hilton’s Sidekick and was one of the first to get Paris’ photos.

We’re interviewing David soon, probably this Sunday. What should we ask him, a man versed in all manner of identity theft and credit card fraud? — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. GenXCub says:

1) Does he have credit cards at all?
    2) How bad will it get with RFID in Credit Cards making it easy to steal info? Or is that, in fact, stealing since you’re allowing your information to be accessible in a manner that’s not very different than wearing a sign on your body with your SSN on it.

2. velho says:

My questions would be:

Besides avoiding spyware / viruses etc., what can an individual do? Change your online passwords every day? Don’t bank online? Don’t have credit / debit cards?

and,m on a lighter note:

While in Queen Anne, did he prefer his hamburger from Dick’s or Kidd Valley? Or pizza at Pagliacci’s instead?

3. bluegus32 says:

I once received an e-mail through Yahoo! Personals which apparently inadvertently disclosed someone’s credit card number (a gentleman out of New Jersey. I think it was someone’s bone-headed attempt to de-fraud me.)

That was not the first time I received e-mail that was either evidence of fraud or sought out to commit fraud.

My question: to whom do we report this activity? Should we report this activity?

Also, using the Nigerian scam as an example, should we report this obviously criminal activity or do we just set up our e-mail filters to ignore them? As an individual, what can we do to help?

4. Beelzebub says:

I’d like to know if he thinks Wired’s coverage — including the disclosure that many of the carders site’s most fervent users are actually undercover cops — will close off this particular avenue of investigation, pushing them deeper underground.

I’d also like to know if there’s some common experience in these people’s lives that allow them to so easily prey on others. What’s the psychology of a carder?

5. Stepehn Colbert says:

Ask him if he believe his “take” on computer speak with language such as, “trhats is some bimb ass shit lol” actually endears hackers to him.

6. bliushift says:

Please ask him to comment about the deeper psychology behind gaining and maintaining reputation in the carder circles and manipulating that social system to his own gain.

In terms of anti-carding and overall anti-fraud, what would the most effective method be for
    people (from average joe to coders to undercover authorities) to get involved to help prevent fraud, fight against frauders, and catch and bring justice against current carders?