Coke & Nestle Sued Over Enviga's Bogus Calorie Burning Claims

Eviga, the so-called “calorie burning soda” has landed Coke and Nestle in some hot water, as the The Center for Science In The Public Interest has filed suit against both for false advertising claims — the same we mocked back in October.

In labeling and marketing, Enviga claims its consumption leads to weight loss and calorie burning, but the CPSI suit contends this is based on bald manipulation of data in Nestle-run studies

When the study was presented at a conference of the Obesity Society (publishers of the journal Obesity and also known as NAASO), the society disputed the study’s conclusions, insisting it is improper to state or imply that the results of this study supports any weight loss claim…

One longer-term Japanese study did show that a tea fortified with EGCG and caffeine helped people lose more weight than a control tea, but then again, the study was conducted by a tea company and the subjects of the study were 38 of that company’s male employees.

The can’s slogan is “Be positive. Drink negative.” How about, “Be Positive. Drink Water.” — BEN POPKEN

Watchdog Group Sues Coke, Nestle For Bogus “Enviga Claims” [CSPI] (Thanks to Mitchell!)

enviga522.jpg

Comments

1. 44 in a Row says:

The marketing is absurd, but I do really like the stuff as an energy drink. It’s got more caffeine than Red Bull, but none of the other “supplements” that most energy drinks pack in (taurine, guarana extract, etc.). And no sugar.

2. lawnmowerdeth says:

While correct in some instances, I think that the CSPI should mostly be ignored. They are one of the worst pro nanny-state organizations there is. Their health “studies” included ones such as grilling causes cancer (because they overfed rats with grilled items until they got cancer) and artificial sweetners cause cancer (same method as the first one).

Their “public interest” seems to be all they want us to eat is some tasteless nutrient-enriched slurry.

3. BillyShears says:

While I don’t doubt that they seem overzealous at times, they did call Schwepp’s and…whomever makes Capri Sun to task for labeling 7-Up and CS “all natural” when they’re filled with high fructose corn syrup, which is about as “natural” as Blinky the Fish.

I don’t really interpret their goal as terribly “nanny state,” anyway. Calling private companies on their BS and forcing them to level with their customers is hardly a bad thing.

4. facetastic says:

Especially because it seems like the FDA sometimes allows these claims to go unchecked unless a third party files suit. CSPI doesn’t do any of it’s own research; it’s more of an advocacy group that tries to call attention to independant studies (like the on on aspartamine, done in France) and deceptive advertising practice.

It’s also easy to confuse the Center For Science in the Public Interest with the Physician’s Committe for Responsible Medicine, which is sort of like Sinn Fein to PETA’s IRA. I think they’re the ones that really came out against grilling. I mean, which is “allegedly” like Sinn Fein to PETA’s IRA.

5. grouse says:

I have mixed feelings about CSPI. On the one hand, I think this lawsuit is good. Coke/Nestle were making health claims that could be harmful if believed, and I’m glad someone is stopping them.

On the other hand, they can be terribly alarmist and overreactive. The corn syrup thing is a good example. “All natural” is not a health claim, and is pretty much meaningless since there is no legal definition for being “all natural.” Any sensible definition of natural would either include corn syrup, or have to exclude things like yogurt, cheese, and beer. Yet I don’t see CSPI suing yogurt manufacturers over their “natural” claims.

6. TWinter says:

I noticed in Europe this summer that many food products were marketed as being produced in a traditional manner. This seems like a much more meaningful claim than the ubiquitous natural found in the US.

7. Solo says:

Soda makes you lose weight, beer makes you smarter (and chicks look better). You can believe me because I am the world’s strongest millionaire (and I never lie)

My next product: cigarettes that cure cancer. They are made out of bacon. You can either smoke them like regulare cigarettes or inject them directly intraveinous.

Hahaha. Bow down to the mighty power of my superior brain!

8. If I mix it with alcohol will my stomach explode?

Oh wait… thats pop rocks and coke.

Is it any better than Red Bull and Jager? Or Red Bull and vodka?? Will my heart burst after imbibing it?

9. Tonguetied says:

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I’ve never been to impressed with the Center For Science in the Public Interest. They have always seemed over the top in their ‘reports’ and accusations.

10. King of the Wild Frontier says:

facetastic: Interesting analogy. Would that make CSPI like the SDLP?

The problem with just about any advocacy group is that they need to have something to advocate, and preferably something that’s relatively fresh, rather than harping on the same old same old all of the time. If they didn’t, the donations would dry up and they’d have to close up shop and find other jobs, at least until the next “real” issue came along. The astroturfing groups are more than willing to take that ball and run as far as they can with it.