Protect Yourself From Purse Thieves At The Gas Station

Thieves are targeting purses left in the open at gas stations, not just to steal your money, but your identity. The video above shows this theft in action.

To protect yourself, Sheriff Ken Jenne of Broward County, Florida offers common sense advice like

• Roll up your windows
• Lock your doors
• Don’t leave keys in the ignition
• Secure your valuables before stopping the car

Interestingly, thieves prefer SUVs, as the increased height gives them more cover when sneaking through the passenger side door. — BEN POPKEN

[via Consumer Reports Car Blog]

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

reasons why I enjoy that NJ makes it a law that you cant pump gas yourself. No purse to snatch when the person getting the case 90% of the time doesnt leave the car, and if she does will be doing it only for snacks which means her purse will likely be on her.

That and even with full service gas, ours is cheaper than anyone around us!

2. DeeJayQueue says:

if that guy was a real sheriff he did a very bad job of proving that. No badge, no gun, no patches, epaulets, rank insignia, radio, nametag, cap, gunbelt or anything else a sheriff would wear. Just a too-big uniform shirt tucked into slacks. That is exactly the kind of thing that the police have already taught me to recognize as fraud.

3. RumorsDaily says:

I would vote for that sheriff for governor.

4. jacques says:

The guy’s actually in charge of the whole Broward County Sheriff’s department.

5. medalian1 says:

Everything in that video is common sense. It’s so sad that people have to be told those things.

6. DeeJayQueue says:

you’d think that he could find a shirt that fit him.

7. Sheik says:

Lesson learned! Never scrimp on the soundtrack budget when your making a PSA.

8. JT says:

That Sheriff is a crook. BSO has/had a policy of falsifying case files to show unsolved crimes were closed. He then used this information to ‘sell’ BSO services to all the local municipalities. scores of multi million dollar contracts. As one retired BSO Deputy once told me, ” … BSO is like the Borg, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.”

That Mr. Jenne just finished his office for about cool million; marble floors, ornate chandeliers, ect ect. and this is a sheriff we’re talking about.

Now a bunch of life inmates are like, “hey, that BSO guy said I might get let out if I confessed to crime X.”

The flaw that exposed this fraud was that it worked too well. Crime rates in Broward County didn’t just go down, they dropped like lead in water.

Just look at what the BSO writes about them selfes,

At the Broward Sheriff’s Office we are encouraged by the latest data on crimes and clearances. It demonstrates that the agency’s proactive approach to law enforcement and stringent accountability requirements are paying dividends in the form of greater public safety.

Compared to what the media reports,

7 DAYS, 7 DEATHS

Broward County, after a 50 percent jump in homicides from 2005 to 2006, started the new year with seven killings in seven days.

Here are all the details

So ya, don’t drive SUVs and leave your doors unlocked and your purse in the front seat.

9. haba says:

Umm, Sheriff Jenne? yeah, well see … uhh… it’s just that XL is not your size. Please don’t shoot me.

10. JT says:

Here is the link to the BSO patting them selves on the back. Don’t know why it didn’t come through on my above post.

nYear=1999&nMonth=2&sspecial=N

you must take out the space after – cfm… nYear – it should look like this – monthly.cfm?nYear -

don’t know why this won’t show up when I post it.

11. Amy Alkon says:

I just don’t understand why, in these days when most people have the little electronic clicker that locks the car doors, it isn’t their practice to use it whenever they enter or exit the vehicle. Yes, entering, too, especially if you’re a woman, and especially if you have a back seat in your car (I drive a 1900 lb, two-seater Honda Insight, so you’re not going to sneak into my car without me noticing even if did ever leave my car unlocked, which I don’t).

12. homerjay says:

People that leave their keys in their cars are the same people that leave them in the front door when they come home. Is it THAT much work to pull them back out?

13. major disaster says:

Heh, I do do this, and then half the time I also end up setting off the motion sensors on my car alarm while putting the gas in. Doesn’t make me feel like an idiot AT ALL. I have been trying to remember now to lock all the doors except the driver’s side (which I’ll be standing next to) so the alarm is not on and this will stop happening.

14. juri squared says:

I always lock my car if I need to go inside the station at all. It’s just common sense; if I don’t, someone could make off with my stuff while I’m perusing the milk selection.

Besides, if I don’t take my keys out of the ignition, I’ll freak out and think I lost them.

15. Tim Matheson says:

I used to leave only the ignition key in my ignition overnight because I was constantly loosing my key’s. The car was parked in my garage which was behind my house. I never for one second though my little 50,000 population hometown had an auto theft ring operating in it. I walked outside car was gone, went to call police locked my keys in the house as I had stepped out. I have ever since chirpped my vehicle when entering and exiting and no longer leave my key in the ignition. I recovered my car myself. I asked the police officer if he could take fingerprints and he said (“What do you think this is? CSI?”). He also went on to tell me he was averaging 2 auto thefts a week. I thought to myself maybe he should do some police work but bit my tongue.

The moral of the story is people, including myself, especially in America do not remeber anything. It takes fear and an actual incident to make them remember common sense things like this. Take a look at 9/11 sure everyone was on high alert for the entire year of 2002 but we soon forgot that events like 9/11 can happen anywhere anytime. As one person once said we live in The United States of Amnesia. Enough said lock your doors people.

Tim Matheson