How To Get All The Good Stuff On Craigslist Before Other People Do

DIY site Curbly has two great posts on how to get all the good furniture on craigslist before everyone else. And by good stuff, we don’t mean used IKEA crap, although if you are in the market for used IKEA, craigslist is the place to be.

The advice boils down to this:

• Know Exactly What You Want And Check Often. Knowing what you want helps to narrow your search. There’s a lot of crap on craigslist.

• Use Listpic. Listpic shows you everything on craigslist with pictures. Saves huge amounts of time.

• Pay Cash and Have a Way To Move Whatever It Is That You’re Buying. This increases the odds that the seller will pick you.

As always, be sure to watch out for scams and fraud and all that, as craiglist is a den of thieves and hookers. Craigslist can be a good place to find a deal, but make sure you ask questions. Lots of them. We once tried to buy a TV off someone, then found out the reason they were selling it was that the only way it could be removed was to somehow lower it 5 stories out of a window. Yeah, we didn’t buy it. —MEGHANN MARCO

More about How to Use Craigslist to Get Cool Stuff before Anyone Else!
[Curbly]
Navigating Craig’s Waters: A Foolproof Guide to CraigsList.com [Curbly]

Comments

1. timmus says:

I’ve only unloaded stuff on Craigslist, and my own experience has been that a lot of people are lazy and don’t show up… which can be annoying. On occasion I’ve even found getting rid of free stuff to be a hassle. I think if you approach the seller and sound dependable, punctual, and committed you stand a better chance.

2. RangerRick says:

Know Exactly What You Want And Check Often.

Do a Craiglist search then copy the RSS feed for that search into your feedreader.

3. i like to flag the items i want as spam, that way it might get taken down before too many people see it.

4. Michael says:

Back when they allowed e-mail subscriptions, new listings were mailed out a couple minutes before they hit the site. Especially when trying to score a nifty giveaway, that little bit of a headstart made a big difference.

Don’t know if the same would be true of RSS with a high refresh rate, but if you’re looking for a specific item it might be worth a try. Keep in mind, though, that refreshing RSS too often wastes bandwidth and is considered impolite, so you’d probably want to turn it off once you snag that free IKEA bookshelf or whatever else you’re seeking.

5. a says:

I got my guest house on craigslist, and my landlords aren’t psycho.
    I’ve actually had such good luck with it, I think it may give me a false sense of security.

6. Mr. Gunn says:

Whatever you do, don’t use listpic on the personals section. The goggles will do nothing.

7. Stepehn Colbert says:

Where are these “hookers” you speak of?