A Rose By Any Other Price…

Over at Judy’s Book they’ve put together a comprehensive price guide to that all but necessary Valentine’s Day bouquet of long-stemmed roses. They called 143 florists all over the nation asking the price of a dozen long-stemmed roses and some tips for ensuring delivery on the 14th. Some interesting findings:

• Roses cost an average of $50 in Philadelphia, but $100 in New York City.

• It pays to shop around, as prices can vary wildly even in just one city.

• Order early, but not too early, to get the best deals. Feb 3 seems like a good day.

Don’t forget to make sure your Valentine prefers roses. Some of us are partial to daisies. —MEGHANN MARCO

Valentine’s Day Roses [Judy's Book]

Comments

1. shoegazer says:

I realized how little I care for flowers once I started spending $120 on a bouquet for my (then) girlfriend, when I was out of the country at the time. I now treat flower-buying as reserved only for anniversaries and apologies (sometimes one after another!)

2. Melsky says:

Also, make sure your partner even wants flowers and cares if they get the flowers on Valentines day or not. Peronally, I do not want to get overpriced flowers that someone feels obligated to give me because it’s a holiday. I’d much rather have the flowers some other time when they will cost half as much. I realize a lot of people are really into the symbolism of getting them on the exact day, but to me it’s just silly.

3. CMPalmer says:

I don’t want to sound like a cheapskate or something, but Wal-Mart and Target often have a dozen roses for $20 or less and a wide selection of other cut flowers as well. It doesn’t help much for long distance delivery and I’m not trying to hurt mom-and-pop, brick and mortar florists, but facts are facts.

4. ArtlessDodger says:

@ Melsky

I agree. Compulsion for flowers (whether sincere or not) isn’t as romantic as receiving them “just because.”

5. cgmaetc says:

You can also head to your downtown flower mart (if you live in a major city) and get roses way cheap. Get there early, like 5am.

Personally, I prefer stargazers (lillies), in case someone out there was wondering…

6. lexluther says:

Best of all to forget the roses — they’re hopelessly bourgeois and
    the whole Valentine’s-rose industry is poisoning thousands of
    Ecuadorian workers (as well as the land) with horrid insecticides.