Take that Bratz: Barbie is Back?

Apparently, Toy giant Mattel is coming back with a vengence on the strength of sales of T.M.X. Elmo and…Barbie? After stiff competition from those slutty-looking (allegedly foul-mouthed) Bratz dolls, Barbie is finally making a comeback. From the Washington Post:

Gross sales of its Barbie line rose 3 percent domestically and worldwide during the quarter.

For the past few years, Barbie has faced a stiff challenge from privately held MGA Entertainment’s Bratz dolls, but Barbie sales should continue to rise, and Bratz sales appear to have peaked, Johnson said.

Take that, Bratz! We at the Consumerist have an anti-Bratz bias.—MEGHANN MARCO

Mattel Profit Rises; Barbie and Elmo Rule [Washington Post]

Comments

1. heypal says:

My second daughter was born this last Friday. My other is two years old. I hereby pronounce a ban on all whore-dolls in my house.

seriously.

2. GenXCub says:

Thank God for that. I rebranded Bratz as “My first little Ho” doll when I first saw them on the market.

3. faust1200 says:

Then Barbie is a highly paid call-girl.

4. WindowSeat says:

Barbie has been criticized for promoting an unrealistic beauty/body image to young girls, but nothing compares to the horror of those sexualized pre-teen training-whore Bratz dolls.

5. MeOhMy says:

The creepiest thing about Bratz dolls is that you don’t change their shoes, you change their ENTIRE FOOT

6. isadora says:

Oh, Babs had her problems–obsession with youth, beauty and fashion, of course–but at least she has a job! Those skanky little bratz dolls literally do nothing–nothing–except shop! And, like, pout with creepy eyes.

Barbie has held every job from McDonald’s to presidential candidate. Having grown up in the “We girls can do anything, right Barbie?” era, I simply do not get behond those bug-eyed shopping freaks.

7. WindowSeat says:

Something I forgot to mention; Barbie has no gaydar when it comes to boyfriends, but she owns her own Dreamhouse.(and a Corvette).

8. Should they change the name to ‘Ho’z’?

9. juri squared says:

I sincerely hope it’s due to parental backlash.

10. Elara says:

When my daughter was born, one of the first things we told everyone was “No Bratz.” I’ll be darned if I ever let those things in my house.

11. Her Grace says:

Bratz are creepy enough. Baby Bratz, however, are creepier by a factor of 10.

12. Pasketti says:

The first time I saw Bratz dolls, my mind immediately renamed them “Slutz”.

They seem to be popular, so SOMEBODY must be buying them, but hypersexualized prepubescent dolls just squick me out.

13. grovberg says:

Don’t get too excited. The only reason Barbie is coming back is that most of their new Barbie products look exactly like Bratz dolls. Take a look next time you’re in the toy aisle. Disney even has a whole line of their classic characters in Bratz style.

My daughters play with Groovy Girls, which despite the stupid name are incredibly chill.

Bratz and their related products are the only things actually banned from my household. Hell I’ll let my girls watch Family Guy before I let them play with a Bratz doll.

14. abelincolnjr says:

the worst thing about Bratz dolls are the commercials, I saw one where there were 8 -9 year old girls shopping with dolls or whatever and the tag line at the end of the commercial is “You’re Hot!”

Unfortunately there are a couple Bratz products that got through under radar in my house. I think the only possible step down from Barbie’s anroexic chic is the Bratz, Bulimia and Botox look.