Small Choices Make Fast Food Healthier

Real Simple has an article showing how small ordering choices can make fast food healthier. Not healthy. Just a little less like eating nuclear weapons for lunch. The highlight:

Fast-Food Chain:
    McDonald’s

If You Usually Order:
    Six-piece Chicken McNuggets (with a side of ranch sauce) and large French fries.

Make It Healthier:
    Ask for medium fries and replace the ranch sauce with barbecue and you’ve knocked 345 calories off your meal.

Apparently, ranch sauce and fries are made of plutonium. —MEGHANN MARCO

Healthy Fast Food And Takeout [Real Simple via Dumb Little Man]

Comments

1. shoegazer says:

Actually, that’s not where you should be worried about plutonium. This is.
    Although – ranch on mcnuggets? I’d prefer the nuclear weapons, thanks.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I prefer McDonald’s nuggets dry…and like most fast food places, their fries taste terrible if they are aren’t right-from-the-fryer-hot.

3. Six-piece Chicken McNuggets (with a side of ranch sauce)

Eewww! Who’s ordering ranch with the nuggets instead of barbecue anyway?

4. homerjay says:

Wow! I can consume fewer calories if I eat less?? Nice! So does that mean that if I order TWO medium fries with barbaque sauce, I can save almost 700 calories!?

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

homerjay

Save even MORE calories with the coupon code EATONEGETONEFREE!

6. lpranal says:

Actually, polonium 210 is the chemical used in the recent poisoning of that russian guy, whereas plutonium isn’t quite as dangerous (by an order of magnitude, or so, though still very hazardous) to humans, unless of course you make a bomb out of it.

7. lpranal says:

Not that you shouldn’t worry about plutonium, because it IS out there…

8. shoegazer says:

Yes, I know it was polonium in the sushi. I had to live with the constant barrage of “OMFGBBQ polonium in UR SUHSI!!!1!1!” from the tabloids here. They even got a few dudes to calculate what would happen if it got into the water supply. The short answer was… try not to think about it.

9. lpranal says:

That, and dimethylmercury. With all 3, you’d have a REAL party pack!

10. Winca says:

I’ve never seen a 50 pack of chicken mcnuggets before. How long have I been out of the loop? Can I buy them at any McDonald’s? Or is it at the Wal-Mart McDonald’s?

11. AcilletaM says:

That picture is so typical of McDonald’s. They give you 50 McNuggets and only one sauce.

12. TedSez says:

Yes, the barbecue sauce has fewer calories than the ranch sauce. But the ranch is made mostly of soybean oil, while the barbecue sauce is mostly high-fructose corn syrup. I’m not sure you’re making such a healthful tradeoff there.

13. am i the only person in the world who likes the hot mustard?

14. It’s a party pack, so I’m thinking it for kids’ birthday shindigs.

15. Magister says:

Umm.. Ranch on McNuggets is just bad. Go for teh Hot Mustard, or lots of the McD’s will give you real honey.

But Hot Mustard is just about perfect.. And I want a bucket of McNuggets!!!

16. TedSez says:

Sorry, guys… The hot mustard sauce is also mostly high-fructose corn syrup.

Actually, your best bet nutritionally appears to be the Spicy Buffalo Sauce. Without the McNuggets, of course.

17. Ben Popken says: